The MSFN café - A Penny for Your Thoughts

XPerceniol

Posted (edited)

Yeah, I'm online on 2 others right now (XP Forum and Eclipse) and sometimes forums can be a headache and add to stress rather to a distraction, when this happens its break time and real life has to come first. I've learned a lot here I will say that but on other busy forums my postings would likely go unnoticed because I don't have the knowledge others do. So yeah, I get it. 

Edited by XPerceniol

On 4/10/2024 at 12:28 AM, XPerceniol said:

I think Supermium is going to be a very logical choice for those using 2000 or XP, but I do wonder how many people will still be stuck on XP this time next year. Once my hardware fails and I have to get something new, I'd likely NOT install XP again because I think it had its day and were just waiting for the same reason (refusal to update/upgrade hardware)....

While interesting project on its own, I can't get past that these super modern browsers in relation to old OS just feel weird and out of place on XP. Perhaps I'm too used to how they work in their native environment. I probably only have XP still installed because I hang on this forum too much...

On 3/17/2024 at 7:34 PM, XPerceniol said:

Yeah, I'm online on 2 others right now (XP Forum and Eclipse) and sometimes forums can be a headache and add to stress rather to a distraction, when this happens its break time and real life has to come first. I've learned a lot here I will say that but on other busy forums my postings would likely go unnoticed because I don't have the knowledge others do. So yeah, I get it.

A lot of times these forums feel like people on them already know everything. I know some things but I'm too dumb for many others...funny how on forums it can easily happen, you post a question that apparently no one knows an answer to, and before you know it, in few short days, your thread is left behind on page #4 and counting. Even relatively frequent visitors probably won't be checking that far back, even if they might know something.

Regarding legacy technology, that old WRT54GL router must have been the last truly legacy piece of technology I have. My PC got some old stuff, connectors like LPT, serial, even floppy, but then it can also run Win10 and even Win11, a least up-to December 2023 builds.

That router is something else though, with processor speed measured in megahertz. But I'm not sure I can revive it, I had the idea to check those capacitors, just to see if they still work, but I still don't feel confident about desoldering them and don't want to bother anyone else with it. Though I think there's a good chance the power surge took out another more important component. Maybe I would have saved it if I dumped that power supply years ago, it was getting way too hot. Maybe that was best they could do back then, but I'm not sure...it was a budget router after all. Little money, little music.

Kinda crazy times we live in, sometimes I think the digitalization has gotten out of hand.

My car got a software update for its infotainment system last week. :D I also randomly discovered these types of units have a local database containing metadata about radio stations that you can manually update using a USB flash stick.

https://www.phonostar.de/vw/en/download

Who knew?

Posted (edited)
On 4/18/2024 at 2:05 AM, UCyborg said:

... I know some things but I'm too dumb for many others

You're not dumb on anything, I mean look at me (Mister Blobfish) and I'm still plugging along here.

spacer.png

...My PC got some old stuff, connectors like LPT, serial, even floppy

Yes, My Dell Dimension 3000 also has serial ports and a floppy drive.

...Kinda crazy times we live in, sometimes I think the digitalization has gotten out of hand.

I was a happier person when times were simple with less digital life and I was once social now not hardly at all. Yeah, crazy times indeed!

Sorry about the edits and that fact that I only replied to parts of your posting, but my mind is clogged up for some reason today.

Edited by XPerceniol

13 hours ago, XPerceniol said:

Yes, My Dell Dimension 3000 also has serial ports and a floppy drive.

Actually, mine just has a floppy connector, I don't have any actual floppy drive available anymore.

But you can put FreeDOS on USB flash drive and browse mostly simple web sites with Links as there's a network driver available that actually works with onboard NVIDIA Ethernet adapter (on ASUS M3N78 motherboard). It's pretty quiet in DOS though. Last time I played with it, there was a newer audio player available which name I don't recall that was supposed to work with Intel HD Audio compatible sound chips and even port of Quake II game to DOS (called Q2DOS), also claiming being able to output sound through those, though the latter only detected the chip name, both programs were silent.

13 hours ago, XPerceniol said:

Sorry about the edits and that fact that I only replied to parts of your posting, but my mind is clogged up for some reason today.

Yeah, I also write as much it comes to me.

Seems this cafe is still open after all these years and there are people in here.

Well now I am back (ex Mr.Scienceman2000). Why I was few years absent was because I had an accident and got injured pretty badly. Really did not feel like going to forums anymore and instead focused on slowly recovering from getting somewhat up from web with crutches to walk somewhat fine. On the other hand that time gave me time to reflect things on life I was not happy at all with and which felt like they were holding me back. Finally gotten rid of them and now I finally get to live way I want.

Edited by Nokiamies

3 hours ago, Nokiamies said:

Well now I am back (ex Mr.Scienceman2000).

Well come back, I'm glad you're here! I asked one man who was in contact with you (allegedly), he didn't mention any of these tragic events, I wish you recover and live a long life!

14 minutes ago, Dixel said:

Well come back, I'm glad you're here! I asked one man who was in contact with you (allegedly), he didn't mention any of these tragic events, I wish you recover and live a long life!

Was he german? Usually people don't talk out from other people events unless it was something big like that person death. I am kinda happy people try avoid saying it since I don't want any rumors to be spread around

Edited by Nokiamies