[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

win32

1 hour ago, Jakob99 said:

FireFox 81 works as a charm. Setup.exe didn't work, so you have to uninstall your existing FireFox, recreate the Mozilla Firefox folder in Program Files (x86), and then copy the files over. You can then create a shortcut to Firefox.exe by right clicking it and clicking create shortcut, at which point it will be put automatically on the desktop. You can also remove the .exe - shortcut stuff that gets added to the name so it is just Firefox.

To pull this off, do the following, which was obtained from this video by WinClient5270 and this thread by TatsuyaSou:

1. Go to the FireFox website and act like you're going to download it. Cancel the download prompt that pops up and scroll down. There should be a link called "Download FireFox for a different OS". Click it, leave all the options the same (Windows, x64, etc), and it should download FireFox 81.

1.5 (Optional). If you don't have 7zip, grab it now from the 7zip site and set it up. If you also don't have CFF Explorer, grab that now as well. A link to that is available in the YouTube Video I linked above.

2. Right click the Firefox installer, hover over 7zip, and then click Open Archive. Extract everything there to the desktop.

3. Open the folder you just extracted and in the search bar type in *.exe This will show only the exe's, and files that have .exe, but which otherwise end in a different extension (such as .config).

4. Right click each exe and click on open in CFF Explorer. Navigate to Optional Header and you should see two fields that have 0006 and a 0001 under MajorOperatingSystemVersion, MinorOperatingSystemVersion, MajorSubsystemVersion, and MinorSubsystemVersion. This refers to the version number. Leave the 6 intact, but change the 0001 to 0000. Do this to the other 0001 as well, and then save. If the exe has a 0004 and a 0000 in place of the 0006 0001, don't edit that. Check every exe except the ones that end in .exe.InsertFileExtensionHere. Those were included in the search as they include .exe even though that is not the files official extension.

5. Afterwards, open back up Firefox.exe, navigate to Import Table, then to ntdll.dll, and then change the entry RtlQueryPerformanceCounter to NtQueryInformationProcess. Save the file and test it out

6. Open Firefox and it should open up just fine.

7. If you wish, you can uninstall your current Firefox installation and move the files for the new one to the Mozilla Firefox folder in Program Files (x86) (you will have to recreate the folder since the other one got deleted), and then create a shortcut to the Firefox.exe, which will automatically get placed on the desktop. If you want it to look official, you can remove the .exe - Shortcut junk from the name so it reads simply Firefox instead of Firefox.exe - Shortcut.

8. Credit goes to WinClient5270 and TatsuyaSou for these methods. I am just posting it here so people don't have to hunt all over for this information. I should note that I have no idea if Firefox 81 has any major problems as I only went to Google, but I imagine videos would be a problem since people reported those in prior versions beyond the 60's I think.

Ensure you also have the May 2021 Extended Kernel update.

Thank you!

12 hours ago, Novek said:

Thank you!

No problem!

Also, I tried running Kotobee Reader, but got this error: The procedure entry point K32GetPerformanceInfo could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll. I should note that it installed just fine and that this error occurs when trying to open the program. Not a huge deal since I have another laptop with 7 that can run this perfectly. I should also note that I opened the exe in CFF Explorer and there was nothing to edit from what I could tell.

Kotobee Reader Error.png

Edited by Jakob99

17 hours ago, ScrapMechanicFan2016 said:

well i tried to get the latest version of blender.

Windows 7 is not supported by Blender anymore, and Requirements further specify “Haswell architecture and newer” which is inhospitable to Vista. Previous versions might be worth a try.

Edited by Vistapocalypse

2 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Windows 7 is not supported by Blender anymore, and Requirements further specify “Haswell architecture and newer” which is inhospitable to Vista. Previous versions might be worth a try.

um. for the further requirements... my pc has a 3rd gen i7

Edited by ScrapMechanicFan2016

On 7/4/2021 at 4:26 PM, Jakob99 said:

It's in Program Files (x86) folder, so it has to be.

The location of a file doesn't actually have anything to do with its architecture. But, normally if a program installs to Program Files (x86) it is the 32bit version not 64bit. It is the installer that determines where a program is installed, and the installer is just copying files. So you can have a 32bit installer put a 64bit program into Program Files (x86) or experience a similar thing with a modified or malfunctioning OS.

What is the latest Firefox that I could run without modifying the .exe or can anyone provide a modified .exe? Can't modify it myself. I know about Roytams browsers, but I expect a Firefox bassed browser with a more updated engine such as the Quantum, so that's why I want to know that.

8 hours ago, Sergiaws said:

What is the latest Firefox that I could run without modifying the .exe...

Should be 88.0.1 as win32 posted Feb 27 (at another forum), “NTEXT is deprecated in favour of NTDLL, so no modification of the Firefox executable is necessary.” Firefox 89 has unsolved font rendering issues that win32 has acknowledged.

42 minutes ago, Sergiaws said:

I'm talking about the modification of the string major operating system and minor operating system.

5 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

so no modification of the Firefox executable is necessary

what did you not understand?

Edited by winvispixp

You need to modify the .exe file if you try to install Firefox 78 ESR, at least the string Major Operating System Version and Minor Operating System Version. I answered what is the latest Firefox that you can run without modifying these Strings. If the answer is anything older than FF60, maybe I will forget about Firefox. Running Firefox 78 ESR tells that it's not a valid win32 application. Of course the same with ff88.