[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

win32

2 hours ago, Sergiaws said:

I somewhere read that it's necessary a modification on the registry, but don't know what to modify.

in the mega folder you will find a file named "DLLredirectionenabler.reg"

merge it and then restart the system

I finally found it. I'm trying to get the chromium working and Waterfox working. Chrome gave me an error in the execution, and Waterfox.exe tells that it's not a Win32 valid application. I know that you can easily edit it, but I need an alternative to the CFF explorer.

I don't know if the extended kernel has any impact on java jdk 16 but it installs and works! (i doubt that oracle still cares about vista but java 8 still receives updates that work on vanilla vista)

I don't know if you can actually use it to develop things (jdk = java development kit) but minecraft 1.17 won't run without it (thank god that multimc exists because the native launcher won't load:worship:)

Edited by winvispixp

4 hours ago, SigmaTel71 said:

Without JDK?.. Why would the game require JDK while most applications rely on Runtime Environment (JRE)?

yea, i was surprised too

i don't know why it requires JDK but that's what i have installed

I am sorry to interrupt this discussion, but what you guys can say about stability of Vista with Extended Kernel?
Thinking of installing it, but is it stable enough for day-to-day use, or i should stick to vanilla Vista?

Just now, MrMADRYAN said:

but what you guys can say about stability of Vista with Extended Kernel?

Never try installing Extended Kernel on systems that were installed using localized media (e.g. using Russian version of Vista). So you should install en-US version first, go through Extended Kernel installation procedure and install Russian MUI in the end. 

JDK 16 bundles JRE 16; Java compiled apps will just use the JRE, as pointed out by @SigmaTel71  :P ...
AFAIK, Oracle no longer supply standalone JRE installers past JRE 8 (8u291 is the latest official release);
as you might already know, 32-bit support was also dropped past 8 :realmad: ...

12 minutes ago, SigmaTel71 said:

should try AdoptOpenJDK. It has a little better performance and still allows to install JRE separately.

Thanks for that :thumbup ; also nice to see that 32-bit support hasn't been abandoned by them :) ! However, 

https://adoptopenjdk.net/releases.html?variant=openjdk16&jvmVariant=hotspot

suggests only Windows2012r2 or later is supported :dubbio:(?) ...

19 hours ago, winvispixp said:

I don't know if the extended kernel has any impact on java jdk 16 but it installs and works! (i doubt that oracle still cares about vista but java 8 still receives updates that work on vanilla vista)

I don't know if you can actually use it to develop things (jdk = java development kit) but minecraft 1.17 won't run without it (thank god that multimc exists because the native launcher won't load:worship:)

It does, as the Eclipse 2020-12 IDE does call win7 functions through its JRE. I believe it's using JRE 14 or 15. Worked perfect.

14 minutes ago, SigmaTel71 said:

that it works on Windows 7 and its server equivalent as well.

Well, I tried to run 
OpenJDK16U-jre_x86-32_windows_hotspot_16.0.1_9.msi
on my Vista SP2 x86 laptop, this is what I was met with: 

WCiNqQ7.jpg

Probably something that can be mitigated via Orca. but not gonna try it now... Also, 

https://adoptopenjdk.net/installation.html?variant=openjdk16&jvmVariant=hotspot#x86-32_win-jre

suggests: 

Note: Windows installer packages are supported only on Windows x64 systems.

i.e. the MSI installer will install the 32-bit variant of JRE 16 only on a Win7+ 64-bit host :realmad: ;
so, even when using Orca, I probably won't be able to install on my Vista x86 OS  ... 

In any case, if @winvispixp is to try AdoptOpenJDK on his Vista SP2 64-bit machine, some tinkering of the installer might be needed... ;)

1 hour ago, win32 said:

It does, as the Eclipse 2020-12 IDE does call win7 functions through its JRE.

I can confirm... :( I downloaded 
OpenJDK16U-jre_x86-32_windows_hotspot_16.0.1_9.zip
extracted it and probed .exe and .dll files inside the bin dir with DependencyWalker (DW); 
many DLLs look for K32* functions inside kernel32.dll (where they normally are in Win7+), 
but in Vista SP2 these function reside, IINM, inside psapi.dll ... :o