[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

win32

I have installed the extended kernel on a Vista x64 VM last night, and I tried running the latest Firefox ESR (78.5), and I got the same error as @jns629 at first.  Looking at @tamarindojuice's response, I decided to follow his advice to jns629 and patch firefox.exe.

And it worked!

However, I'm a little concerned that firefox.exe needs to be patched like this with every update, which can get annoying.  So, with that in mind, is there a way I can automate the process somehow?

I mean, it's of course not hard to do manually, but I'm nevertheless curious.

c

Edited by cc333

10 hours ago, pridesnow said:

Are you running x86 or x64? If the former, then x32 software is not yet supported. It seems that with the next update it will be partly fixed. And yes, download x64, if so

Isn't firefox purely x64?

On 11/20/2020 at 1:02 PM, win32 said:

This is a known .NET bug, Apparently this solution is like this:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/42554944/how-to-solve-this-exception-culture-is-not-supported

But I don't get it, as fr-FR should be valid. :unsure:

Hi , I may have some news . Yesterday I was testing ALL Opera versions with the newest Kernel (by redirection) and the last that worked with extensions was 47 , 48 didn't say anything at all , but refused to instal the extensions due the known "locale" thingy (but launched anyway) . The most interesting part , starting from 49 it began to want "ResolveLocaleName not found in KERNEL32" , does that ring a bell ? See "LocaleName" , perhaps this is what used to identify the locale ? Also , any chance to add the missing to shell32 for newer Operas ? "SHAssocEnumHandlersForProtocolByApplication" and the other one.

5 hours ago, Dixel said:

Hi , I may have some news . Yesterday I was testing ALL Opera versions with the newest Kernel (by redirection) and the last that worked with extensions was 47 , 48 didn't say anything at all , but refused to instal the extensions due the known "locale" thingy (but launched anyway) . The most interesting part , starting from 49 it began to want "ResolveLocaleName not found in KERNEL32" , does that ring a bell ? See "LocaleName" , perhaps this is what used to identify the locale ? Also , any chance to add the missing to shell32 for newer Operas ? "SHAssocEnumHandlersForProtocolByApplication" and the other one.

I added that function. Seems to be have some issues which prevent Opera 72 from launching with sandbox for now, but it works fine with --no-sandbox.

pravda.PNG

Edited by win32

5 hours ago, win32 said:

I added that function. Seems to be have some issues which prevent Opera 72 from launching with sandbox for now, but it works fine with --no-sandbox.

pravda.PNG

browsing works?

20 minutes ago, burd said:

browsing works?

Yes, with the switch enabled. But the issue with the sandbox breaking things is not related to the new function either, as I found out earlier today. Need to check it out further...

5 hours ago, win32 said:

Yes, with the switch enabled. But the issue with the sandbox breaking things is not related to the new function either, as I found out earlier today. Need to check it out further...

What's there to check out ? You've already done a marvellous thing ! One can make this flag permanent and use the browser with it forever . I think it's better to investigate what causes the locale problem with the extensions . Or , as I said earlier , figure out how to force everything to use English (block other locales) . I already added this flag to the starter (with ungoogled) quite some time ago. Oh , and extensions without locales will work (I checked with chromium 86).

By the way , the new files are already in the mega folder ? 

58 minutes ago, Dixel said:

By the way , the new files are already in the mega folder ? 

Not yet, as I planned to add this and several other functions (and some new modded dlls to run Chromium Edge) for a release later in the month.

3 hours ago, win32 said:

Not yet, as I planned to add this and several other functions (and some new modded dlls to run Chromium Edge) for a release later in the month.

Well , it is already enough to run Opera . Maybe if you have some spare time and don't mind adding just shell32 sooner , with this function added, I'll start testing Opera with my starter. It's no hurry , of course , I have plenty of others to test . Today I've tested latest Slimjet - working , of course with this flag. 

Just now, Dixel said:

Well , it is already enough to run Opera . Maybe if you have some spare time and don't mind adding just shell32 sooner , with this function added, I'll start testing Opera with my starter. It's no hurry , of course , I have plenty of others to test . Today I've tested latest Slimjet - working , of course with this flag. 

Since it is working fine, I added it to the folder but haven't decided to update the installer yet.

48 minutes ago, win32 said:

Since it is working fine, I added it to the folder but haven't decided to update the installer yet.

Thanks , im one of those who main opera 

1 hour ago, win32 said:

Logitech ghub and palemoon crash with shell32 error over here using the newest one.