[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

win32

51 minutes ago, win32 said:

Try unchecking everything except for HighVersionLie. But if you got it to load before, then those checks probably weren't enabled. Very strange that this is happening...

already did that too and after that only i informed you.

7 hours ago, TECHGEEK said:

I downloaded it from portableapps.com and there was no separate x64 version as such as with Google Chrome portable

There you have it ! You need ONLY 64 bit . I will share this direct link to ALL official Opera versions from their archive .

https://get.geo.opera.com/pub/opera/desktop/

You just need to extract it with 7zip , replace the files in your portable version, no installation needed . And use that portable launcher. 
Everyone  , notice he has Aero working with Opera...

49 minutes ago, Dixel said:

You just need to extract it with 7zip , replace the files in your portable version, no installation needed . And use that portable launcher. 

Everyone  , notice he has Aero working with Opera...

Replace shell32.dll?

3 hours ago, TECHGEEK said:

Replace shell32.dll?

Replace all files in your x86 portable version with the extracted files from Opera 72 (64 bit) from the link I gave you . Extract with 7zip . I have a fully working Opera , it works 100% percent ! Also you need to add the flag to the shortcut , win32 wrote about (scroll to the earlier comments). Don't forget to like and ask , don't be shy xD .

Edit : This works if you replaced the kernel in your system already . If you use the local method , I gave you full instructions earlier.

Edited by Dixel

6 minutes ago, Dixel said:

Replace all files in your x86 portable version with the extracted files from Opera 72 (64 bit) from the link I gave you . Extract with 7zip . I have a fully working Opera , it works 100% percent ! Also you need to add the flag to the shortcut , win32 wrote about (scroll to the earlier comments). Don't forget to like and ask , don't be shy xD .

Edit : This works if you replaced the kernel in your system already . If you use the local method , I gave you full instructions earlier.

All files including opera.exe, launcher.exe etc.?

3 hours ago, TECHGEEK said:

All files including opera.exe, launcher.exe etc.?

Yes, all of them . Opera's own launcher and installer not needed (you only need your portable launcher) , also may throw away opera_autoupdate and opera_crashreporter . (!) How needs that ?

Opera launched at first, but with Aero not working. Subsequently, I followed your instructions to run a complete working copy of Opera @Dixel, but it still threw dll errors. 

I'm not going to spend my whole day trying to run it, so I've gotten rid of it. Will be waiting for the next kernelex update that should allow MS Edge to run on Vista.

48 minutes ago, TECHGEEK said:

Opera launched at first, but with Aero not working. Subsequently, I followed your instructions to run a complete working copy of Opera @Dixel, but it still threw dll errors. 

I'm not going to spend my whole day trying to run it, so I've gotten rid of it. Will be waiting for the next kernelex update that should allow MS Edge to run on Vista.

the next kernelex update wont allow ms edge to work , that needs functions in secur32

Edited by burd

6 minutes ago, burd said:

the next kernelex update wont allow ms edge to work , that needs functions in secur32

Those secur32 functions are forwarded from sspicli.dll, a file introduced in Windows 7. So on paper, only a few export entries need to be added to secur32 which is really easy to do. sspicli in turn delay-loads some functions from sechost.dll, which is also a semi-new file (since there are many existing functions as well as new ones).

I tried something like this, and so far the latest version of Edge crashes silently. I'm trying to figure it out.

And also, I compared Opera 47 (last to load all extensions) and 48 (first with problems) myself. A new locale-related function is called by 48: EnumSystemLocalesEx. ResolveLocaleName is imported by both.

EnumSystemLocalesEx is in Vista, but it calls an underlying function that changed considerably between Vista and 7; one of which is that it calls a function that ResolveLocaleName relies heavily on (and was not in Vista until recently). That will have to be looked at.

On 11/24/2020 at 11:25 AM, TECHGEEK said:

I ran the setup CMD scripts in both folders but my Vista install broke ( I already had DLLs from October installed). The system does not reach the orb startup animation and reboots endlessly. I don't have USB or DVD installation media ( I have windows 8.1 on the only unused usb in the house) and I don't want to download a big 4 GB iso and reinstall vista. How to solve the problem? Can I go to startup repair without using installation media and fix this from there? (System restore is not an option as I am on an SSD)

Please note: I ran the setup cmd's as admin and also I have updated my Vista till Jan. 2020

I'll be reflecting on this issue that I faced earlier. First off, I resolved it using the method that @win32 suggested me. Second, I thought that a Server 2008 security+quality update was the problem, so I uninstalled it (I think it was KB4530695 or somewhat, please check on this @win32).  I tested this on my Vista Home Premium x64 VM and this issue did not occur. So I went on to test this on my Vista Business x64 bare metal. No errors on computer startup!

EDIT: Before my Vista install had broken earlier after I ran the extended kernel setup CMD, I tried to run the mfplatsetup.cmd file and was greeted with file system error 65535 on opening CMD, while that did not happen today. Also, I checked kernel32.dll properties and saw that the date modified was 20 November. Is this when you modified and uploaded the file in the archive, @win32?

Edited by TECHGEEK
adding a few more details

1 minute ago, TECHGEEK said:

One question @win32: What exactly does that mfplatsetup.cmd script do? How does it improve video playback on Firefox/forks of Firefox?

It allows Firefox to use Windows 7 Media Foundation codecs, enabling playback of videos like Twitch and YouTube livestreams.