Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 


Nojus2001

Possible to get Skype 8 up and running on XP?

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, someguy25 said:

S**t!  I use Android 5.1 too :(

s*** my galaxy note 3 run on 5.1 too

I thought have Nokia 6 with Oreo 8.1 but I love note 3 due to Cyanogenmod.

Time to boycott Microsoft

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

But won't the previous Android version keep working, since it's presumably 8.something?

It will work for quite some time. Nonetheless, it won't work sooner or later... and considering how Microsoft is behaving these days, it might stop working sooner than expected.

Time will tell.

Edited by FranceBB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Screenshot_1171.png

getting this on my laptop and main PC after the sign on screen today. it signs me back out when I click quit, and, of course, the update doesn't work

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's exactly what happened to me!
When the update fails, there should be a link on the failure notice to update it manually.
This will take you to the download page on the Skype site.
If you do the download and save the file, it should be "SkypeSetupFullXp.exe" and is version 7.36.0.150.
Run it and let it update, and Skype should work again, at least it did for me!
I would save the file somewhere in case you need it again, but as has been said, I'm afraid that all Skype 7 versions will stop working soon.
:(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

That's exactly what happened to me!
When the update fails, there should be a link on the failure notice to update it manually.
This will take you to the download page on the Skype site.
If you do the download and save the file, it should be "SkypeSetupFullXp.exe" and is version 7.36.0.150.
Run it and let it update, and Skype should work again, at least it did for me!
I would save the file somewhere in case you need it again, but as has been said, I'm afraid that all Skype 7 versions will stop working soon.
:(

What about version 7.38? Im using it since its the last one to work on xp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was using 7.38 as well, but as 7.36 appears to be working I've left it at that.
I do suspect that running the 7.38 installer again would also have fixed things, but it would be good to have that confirmed!
I'm not sure whether the nag was due to the version being used and the fact that it's not the most recent version (which is Skype 8 of course), or whether it just hadn't been updated for a while.
This would seem to be bourne out by the fact that the system seemed to be happy with a version which was older than the one previously installed!
:dubbio:
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also use Skype 7.38.0.101 (mod. installer variant without updater) with following entries in hosts file.
As long as both sides still use this version still works to build a conversation and lead.

127.0.0.1       rad.msn.com
::1       rad.msn.com
127.0.0.1       live.rads.msn.com
::1       live.rads.msn.com
127.0.0.1       ads1.msn.com
::1       ads1.msn.com
127.0.0.1       static.2mdn.net
::1       static.2mdn.net
127.0.0.1       g.msn.com
::1       g.msn.com
127.0.0.1       a.ads2.msads.net
::1       a.ads2.msads.net
127.0.0.1       b.ads2.msads.net
::1       b.ads2.msads.net
127.0.0.1       ac3.msn.com
::1       ac3.msn.com
127.0.0.1       apps.skype.com
::1       apps.skype.com
127.0.0.1       download.skype.com
::1       download.skype.com

:)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried downloading manually... It gave me 7.36 as expected and it works!

 

Edited by i430VX
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/26/2018 at 11:30 PM, heinoganda said:

I also use Skype 7.38.0.101 (mod. installer variant without updater) with following entries in hosts file.
As long as both sides still use this version still works to build a conversation and lead.


127.0.0.1       rad.msn.com
::1       rad.msn.com
127.0.0.1       live.rads.msn.com
::1       live.rads.msn.com
127.0.0.1       ads1.msn.com
::1       ads1.msn.com
127.0.0.1       static.2mdn.net
::1       static.2mdn.net
127.0.0.1       g.msn.com
::1       g.msn.com
127.0.0.1       a.ads2.msads.net
::1       a.ads2.msads.net
127.0.0.1       b.ads2.msads.net
::1       b.ads2.msads.net
127.0.0.1       ac3.msn.com
::1       ac3.msn.com
127.0.0.1       apps.skype.com
::1       apps.skype.com
127.0.0.1       download.skype.com
::1       download.skype.com

:)

Can you share the modified installer via PM so I can archive it? :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/26/2018 at 11:53 PM, Mathwiz said:

Yeah but 7.38 is the one that nags you to "update"

Never had the nag

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For Skype chat , you guys can use Miranda NG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/27/2018 at 1:52 AM, i430VX said:

I tried downloading manually... It gave me 7.36 as expected and it works!

 

why don't you use Skype Web ? that way you won't need to install anything

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, caliber said:

why don't you use Skype Web ? that way you won't need to install anything

because I want a legit client, not a web browser. However, with that being said, I RARELY use skype anymore so i could live with web if i had to

Edited by i430VX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...