My Browser Builds (Part 1)

Every Addon in a browser has to be removable. User cases are different like in terms of hardware, paranoia, skill... even NoScript can be too complicated for beginners.

The ClassicAddonArchive is a very important link to improve the elderly browsers. It so unfortuneatly, that a lot of developers don't like their old software wandering around, causing troubles in the hands of greenhorns. So they try to remove every trace of legacy software.

Edit:
Some low-specification tests: New Moon (which is a cool name by the way) can run semi-fast on a Celeron 400Mhz with Windows XP. You learn to love the extra power of a Pentium 3, but New Moon is useable.

Edited by Gansangriff
Another idea

3 hours ago, Gansangriff said:

Every Addon in a browser has to be removable. User cases are different like in terms of hardware, paranoia, skill... even NoScript can be too complicated for beginners.

The ClassicAddonArchive is a very important link to improve the elderly browsers. It so unfortuneatly, that a lot of developers don't like their old software wandering around, causing troubles in the hands of greenhorns. So they try to remove every trace of legacy software.

Edit:
Some low-specification tests: New Moon (which is a cool name by the way) can run semi-fast on a Celeron 400Mhz with Windows XP. You learn to love the extra power of a Pentium 3, but New Moon is useable.

Did you try New Moon SSE with the UOC Patch? Your computer would be an interesting test bed for my patch, as I don't have a Celeron Coppermine system.

Edited by looking4awayout

13 minutes ago, looking4awayout said:

Did you try New Moon SSE with the UOC Patch? Your computer would be an interesting test bed for my patch, as I don't have a Celeron Coppermine system.

I don't think such a celeron as his supports SSE, as my 533mhz one didn't.

14 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

I don't see any (ADD ONS, except CAA) that everyone should have ...

I am opposed to the idea that RT should have to 'worry' about some 'internalized' ADD ON working with his Browsers. It seems like that ADD ONS (LEGACY) can 'stand on their own' -- so LET them do that.
(Evil Humor) And, @VistaLover enjoys solving SOME riddles related to 'Ghosts in the Old Machines' :)

https://o.rths.cf/boc-uxp/
RT has some ADD ONS (*.xpi files) listed for download at his above URL for BNAV Browser.

https://legacycollector.org/firefox-addons/
This above URL has Firefox LEGACY ADD ONS too. Just a straight forward download, no install involved.

https://legacycollector.org/firefox-addons/722/index.html
NoScript Security Suite

Edited by TechnoRelic

32 minutes ago, TechnoRelic said:

I am opposed to the idea that RT should have to 'worry' about some 'internalized' ADD ON working with his Browsers.

I agree. If this were to be done at all, it should be done by @i430VX's installer. I could see the installer offering to download and install a few popular add-ons after extracting the browser.

21 hours ago, i430VX said:

I was considering adding optional plugin support to my installer for something like @looking4awayout's patch. I have that process planned in my head but I have no ideas on how I would automatically install "normal" add-ons (such as noScript) into the browser.

In theory @siria's method below would be ideal, but I'm not sure it would work in practice:

16 hours ago, siria said:

Thinking about it, just in theory, another way of including addons out-of-box is probably in the template folder for brand-new profiles:
installdir/browser/defaults/profile/extensions/...
Then it should show a Remove/Uninstall button on about:addons, but haven't tested.

That would install add-ons in a new profile anytime one is created. It may work in KM - I haven't looked - but in NM and Serpent, the defaults\profile\ folder seems to live in browser\omni.ja, and I'm not sure it's feasible to modify that file. It seems to be a nonstandard .zip format.

So that leaves you with storing the downloaded add-ons in the browser\extensions\ subfolder, which means they could be disabled but not removed easily (except of course by reinstalling). The installer would need to give the user a message to that effect.

On 6/7/2019 at 4:10 AM, i430VX said:

It's working for me...

asked several time without instructions:
until now i was running all NM-SSE-versions from their own directories. yes had to adjust almost all of the settings all over again.
so how is downloading and installation of NM-SSE done correctly? where must be the (SSE also)-Installer?
2. I am currently struggling with downloading Youtube Videos. Was working with Complete Youtube Save(CYS) and Ant Video Downloader  2.4.7.47
Was on youtube the beatles.
with CYS i could download MP4-files. with Ant video downloader AVI-files are created and WebM-files are saved. both downloaders related in ffmpeg. couldnt run any of them. maybe the reason is on my actual drive. the other one has a nasty LOGONUI-problem now!
Yes tried every possible adjustments which i did before when having videoproblems. reinstalled what is needed for videos. from lav-files(yes also the official files),ffmpeg, xvid, vidx, new installation of WMP11.

Maybe better leaving it alone and make a new installation on SSD with raid-card.
No i didnt yet try the UOC-batch. Will not since i dont have a HD-clone yet.

Edited by 3dreal

General installation advice: just pick a directory ("C:\Program Files" is fine) and extract the .7z file for the browser of your choice into it. That will create a subdirectory (palemoon\ for New Moon, basilisk\ for Serpent) under that directory. Then create a shortcut to palemoon.exe or basilisk.exe in your Start menu and/or on your desktop. Each week when a new version comes out, you can just extract the new .7z file over the previous one. The shortcut you created will still work.

If you want/need to run multiple versions (e.g., NM 27 and NM 28, or St 52 and St 55), you can create separate directories and shortcuts for each version. @i430VX's installer does this, creating a palemoonx86 directory for NM 28 and a palemoon27x86 directory for NM 27.

You can put i430VX's installer in its own directory. For example, create a "C:\Program Files\Roytam Browser Installer" directory and put it there. Then just create a shortcut to it in your start menu and/or on your desktop. (Does i430VX need to create an installer for his installer?)

In general, there's no need to download multiple builds of the same version (unless you're archiving them "just in case"), so if you download NM 27, you'll probably download only one of the four builds of it (64-bit, 32-bit for SSE2, 32-bit for SSE, or 32-bit for pre-SSE) each week, depending on what you need for your PC.

12 hours ago, 3dreal said:

Yes, his is 400 mhz as you noted, doesnt have SSE- only available as Mendocino at that speed. Mine was also Mendocino, although a coppermine does exist at 533mhz, which has SSE, but mine doesn't, being Mendocino.
Anyway, this is drifting OT so we should get back on topic here
If I get my celly 533 Mendocino working I should definitely try out the NM27nosse build though

Edited by i430VX

The NoSSE version worked by simply unpacking the files from the 7z archive file. I must admit however, that New Moon is a little bit too much for the 400 Mhz Celeron (which can be confirmed to not have SSE). The Retrozilla-Firefox uses less than half of the RAM that New Moon needs and is therfore better on the pre-millenial machines. Still, New Moon is far from useless on the Celeron, it depends on the target website.
The 533 Mhz Celeron test might break the border of proper web browsing with New Moon. Fortuneatly nearly all Windows XP computers have more power than that.