Windows XP Spotter (the club)

FranceBB

17 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Now long EOS Windows Embedded 2009 still living it large in my local Marks and Spencer store!
Not quite XP or course, but as near as makes no difference now as far as I'm concerned.

20211104_153420.thumb.jpg.c74489ab9d4968d08af104c1a77e49c0.jpg

:)

imagine that being only checkout and you would be in hurry to buy food

• 1 month later...

• 6 months later...
  • 10 months later...
14 hours ago, gerwin said:

U-Bahn (Metro) Duesseldorf, Germany, Last week.

Cannot identify the OS exactly. But it has the classic theme and icons.

IMG_1912s.jpg

Looks like Windows Server 2003 to me.

11 minutes ago, mina7601 said:

Looks like Windows Server 2003 to me.

How so?  I have Windows Server 2003 and it looks exactly like XP Pro.

The two can both be made to look exactly like each other, it's all just the "theme" and theme support exists in both.

The 98SE crowd would always use the Win2k "classic" theme, but I myself disliked the classic theme and would use the same theme as XP Pro.

I didn't have to install the Pro theme on Server, it was already there and only needed selected/enabled.

1 hour ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

How so?

It was just a guess, it doesn't have to be correct though. I only guessed it's Windows Server 2003 because of the default classic theme selected by default.

On 7/8/2022 at 2:15 PM, Dave-H said:

POSReady 2009 still going strong on the self-service tills in my local Marks and Spencer!

20220707_184504.thumb.jpg.6b67fd4bc4b82047f6015611d5fd5868.jpg

:D

ive seen these stores before (there's one in the mall here) I just never realised they run windows xp! interesting find dave

4 hours ago, legacyfan said:

ive seen these stores before (there's one in the mall here) I just never realised they run windows xp! interesting find dave

IMHO, this is the best one I saw from Dave-H. Couldn't stop looking at it everyday as it always made me happy.

Edited by mina7601

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2023 at 7:55 PM, cc333 said:

They won't die!

Too much specialized hardware for far too many years. XP is here to stay as long as the hardware they're controlling keeps going. Unfortunately, the sad reality is that those XP systems and their relative embedded variants will, inevitably, be replaced one day 'cause the hardware they're attached to (like fuel pumps, elevators, airplane docking etc) will die one day, however, given the very long expected lifespan of those systems and the cost it would have to replace them before they break down, I guess they're gonna stay here for a long time (and we will still be able to celebrate them, here in the Spotters Club. :) ).

From a manufacturing perspective, think assembly line robots, you would be very surprised to know how much of your "brand new" vehicle is assembled with "robot controllers" running XP.

And when the "hardware" dies, it is NOT replaced with non-XP.  The XP "image" is carried over to the "new" hardware and that assembly line is put back to work as fast as possible.

But you will never see those pictures here.  We fire factory workers on the spot if they are caught taking pictures of anything!