Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Ninho

Problems accessing certain sites (Https aka TLS)

GRRR.... sorry must vent. As was reported already a few days somewhere (?) Wikipedia now completely blocks old browsers too, by accepting ONLY TLS1.2 ciphers. Which makes IMO absolutely no sense if a reader's browser just isn't able to use it, and the reader only wants to see a public page, but have already ranted a bit about that in another topic.

But to add insult to injury, and what makes Wikipedia now even much WORSE as github, twitter, sourceforge, developer.mozilla.org and countless other blocked public sites:
Wikipedia immediately REDIRECTS old browsers to a fix URL warning page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/sec-warning
That means they even destroy the original target URL!
And that means in old browsers it's not even possible anymore to copy the target URL from the blocked page for copy/pasting into a fallback browser.

> Wikipedia is making the site more secure. You are using an old web browser that will not be able
> to connect to Wikipedia in the future. Please update your device or contact your IT administrator.

> We are removing support for insecure TLS protocol versions, specifically TLSv1.0 and TLSv1.1,
> which your browser software relies on to connect to our sites. This is usually caused by using
> some ancient browser or user agents like old Android smartphones.
> Also it could be interference from corporate or personal "Web Security" software which
> actually downgrades connection security.

For now my only lousy workaround will be to make my kmeleon redirecting macro to automatically replace all wikipedia links with something like xxxwikipedia on middle-click, in order to retain at least the URL. The other alternative would be to redirect them all to googlecache or googleweblight automatically too, but want to decide that case-by-case.

Then again, perhaps they'll remove that killer redirect again next year? This sounds like it:

> You must upgrade your browser or otherwise fix this issue to access our sites.
> This message will remain until Jan 1, 2020.
> After that date, your browser will not be able to establish a connection to our servers at all.

On 12/13/2019 at 7:11 PM, Dave-H said:

That does look a bit excessive, mine takes about 3 Mb when it's idle, and about 6 Mb while I have a Firefox tab open!
Is the memory use still high with your browsers and/or e-mail programs closed?
:dubbio:

I confirm the situation.

After a few minutes of surfing with only 2 tabs opened with SRWare Iron 49:

8.thumb.jpg.befe23f237d0526ad442a1c98210b22f.jpg

After closing the browser, the memory footprint stay the same. :wacko:

I'm testing the latest build on a ThinkPad T500 with the french edition of XP Pro SP3.

Edited by genieautravail

When you look at the console window of HTTPSProxy, what is it actually doing while it's using so much memory with your browsers closed?
I can only think that something else on the system must be generating a lot of network traffic!

19 hours ago, Dave-H said:

When you look at the console window of HTTPSProxy, what is it actually doing while it's using so much memory with your browsers closed?
I can only think that something else on the system must be generating a lot of network traffic!

Five minutes after closing the browser:

13.thumb.jpg.54ebe7ecfa4d5637db61a1e3fab0ea61.jpg

There is a real memory management issue.:unsure:

Pehaps that @heinoganda has a debug version of the proxy ?

14 hours ago, genieautravail said:

There is a real memory management issue.

And what exactly is the issue? Compared to latest Basilisk 52.9 release by @roytam1 used with few open tabs (5-6) with uBO legacy installed memory consumption by ProxHTTPSProxyMII v1.5 at least ten times smaller. And don't forget that Python interpreted scripts are used in ProxHTTPSProxyMII v1.5. Even 120Mb of memory consumption i got once still not comparable with memory consumption of main browser.

26 minutes ago, Bersaglio said:

And what exactly is the issue? Compared to latest Basilisk 52.9 release by @roytam1 used with few open tabs (5-6) with uBO legacy installed memory consumption by ProxHTTPSProxyMII v1.5 at least ten times smaller. And don't forget that Python interpreted scripts are used in ProxHTTPSProxyMII v1.5. Even 120Mb of memory consumption i got once still not comparable with memory consumption of main browser.

Memory footprint can't decrease with no activity ?

On 12/2/2019 at 5:53 PM, CouMoi said:

Hello,

Thank you for continuing to support XP and the proposal to have MP ProxHTTPSProxy compilation v1.5 (Rev3e) with support for OpenSSL 1.1.1d.

Is it always available ?

CouMoi

Hello, I downloaded the version with OpenSSL 1.1.1d (.RAR) and I will test by replacing in the old version. Thank.