Problems accessing certain sites (Https aka TLS)

@heinoganda Thanks for your comment. I think on step back to pyInstaller 3.3.1 too.

But the difference is 17/68 to 10/68 alerts - not really better - trusting the prog is a matter of trust ...

The problem already exists with the interpreters, which are "compiled" together with the scripts in the the build programs.

And since there are regular updates, it's tedious to report any new build as false positive.

The progs / suite is a help to keep WinXP alive and a help from user to user, nothing more.

Edited by Thomas S.

9 hours ago, heinoganda said:

so I once stayed at PYInstaller 3.3.1

It seems using 3.3.1 instead of 3.4 and de-UPXing the resulting executables minimizes the false positives. While UPX is great, it's also pointless, because download bandwidth is not anymore the problem it used to be in the past, on one hand, and nowadays every antivirus and her cousin use to detect UPXed executable as viruses/malware, on the other hand.

@Thomas S.

I offer a variant of HTTPSProxy with and without UPX, since depending on the processor and storage medium speed advantages can result. With one of the reasons why I do not let the files created with PYInstaller be put together in one package, but in a folder where all needed Python libraries are stored as well. With a single file created by PYInstaller it will be unpacked in the TEMP directory (like a SFX created by a packer) where these needed Python libraries still have to be created temporarily. It is time consuming, but usually it does what if false positive messages are sent to the virus scanner manufacturer. I had this problem for a long time with files that I created with "7z SFX Builder", but my stubbornness paid off, because since then it has become very rare that these generated files still lead to a message under Virustotal.

:)

i would need it for an XP without service pack 2 or 3. but ive seen many people in this thread who seem to use windows 98 SE, like Mathwiz, jumper, rloew.

is there any older version which supports TLS 1.1 and would work, like proxHTTPSproxy (without MII)?

Huh :huh:

That is a problem, because where do I get the right libraries which will run under this old configuration.

And run well, not with bugs. And do what they have to do.

And I can't test it, I have no XP SP1 / SP2.

Iit is better that you update your system with SP3. Why not?

5 hours ago, Youse said:

i would need it for an XP without service pack 2 or 3. but ive seen many people in this thread who seem to use windows 98 SE, like Mathwiz, jumper, rloew.

is there any older version which supports TLS 1.1 and would work, like proxHTTPSproxy (without MII)?

I rarely use Win 98SE any more.

I did try to put ProxHTTPSProxy on 98SE but the latest version of Python that runs on 98SE was too old to run it. (Python v2.7 IIRC)

As for XP SP1, it might work; you'd need to figure out the latest Python 3 version that will run on it and try to compile it with that.

1 hour ago, Mathwiz said:

As for XP SP1, it might work; you'd need to figure out the latest Python 3 version that will run on it and try to compile it with that.

That is not all to do, you need also the libraries / modules that are compatible with this 3.x version of python.

Some of the actual versions dropped support for python < v3.4 (f.e. urllib3 and pyOpenSSL), you need also here the older versions.

And older libraries have bugs and not the full functionality for actual TLS.

That is why I look always for new versions of the libraries...

Edited by Thomas S.

True; the latest version of urllib3 that works with the latest version of Python that works with XP SP1 will likely include an older version of OpenSSL that may have security vulnerabilities that have been eliminated in the current version.

So I wouldn't recommend it unless you absolutely need XP SP1 compatibility. But if you do, that may be the best you can do.

Are there any problems with official SP3 and older SW?

I have f.e. Visio Technical 5.0 or Micrografx Designer 7.1 that both works great under XP SP3 in compatibility mode.

Old drivers for special adapter cards? May be...