Enable MP4 (H.264 + AAC) HTML5 video in Firefox on Windows XP without Flash

Let us all know how it works for you! And if you like to watch long Youtube videos, install Primetime CDM, disable ffvpx and let us know if Primetime happens to fix the 23 min. bug. Edit: Just discovered Primetime doesn't work with NM 28, so @obstinateXP will have to stick with native support (ffvpx) for modern videos.

Edited by Mathwiz

A lot of folks still are, and it continues to work well. But some of us are concerned about the lack of further development and are exploring alternatives based on the same platform (FF 52), like MyPal, New Moon, and Basilisk (Serpent). The good news is Primetime works with those browsers too edit: Basilisk, so at least we have one modern browser build that still works with Primetime.

Edited by Mathwiz

On 9/27/2018 at 4:41 PM, Mathwiz said:

Let us all know how it works for you! And if you like to watch long Youtube videos, install Primetime CDM, disable ffvpx and let us know if Primetime happens to fix the 23 min. bug.

Primetime CDM does not work with New Moon. The contents of gmp-eme-adobe folder are deleted. I don't know why.

Confirmed, sort of; at least with the latest build of New Moon (28.2.0.a1 dated 2018-09-28). I had to add all the required preferences manually; after that, my gmp-adobe-eme\17 folder didn't get deleted, but Primetime still wouldn't show up in about:addons or about:plugins. Looks like the PM team did more to disable EME than just removing those preferences. Don't know if Primetime will work with MyPal but I sort of doubt it at this point.

Primetime does work with Basilisk, and I suspect it will also work with @roytam1's FF 45 build for pre-SSE2 machines. And of course it works with FF 52.9.

• 2 months later...

Hi guys, Please Help me.

I'm not able to watch H.264 videos using Firefox 48 on Win XP SP3 (x86). CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ 1.67 Ghz which does not support SSE2.My video card on the other hand is: ATI Radeon HD 4670 RV730 (AGP) which supports HEVC/H.264 codec. Is there any way I can work things out..any. Even if there's a different browser or smthng I can use.

Edited by dido_fan

@dido_fan:

Did you carefully carry out the configuration of your Mozzilla as detailed at the beginning of this thread? It works fine for me with the same Windoze and approximately the same machine.

I've used the instructions in the start of this thread, and it worked for me, but now I have problems with some videos (like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUJiGnjGIoI) again, and https://www.youtube.com/html5 shows both H.264 and MSE & H.264 unsupported. I've rechecked the settings, the content of GMP-EME-ADOBE\17 in my profile, and my add-ons show Primetime CDM and Open264 Videocodec are always activated.

SOLVED! It was media.mp4.enabled set to false ;)

Edited by yun
Solved

• 3 months later...

I confirm that it works on WinXP SP2 x64, Firefox 52.9.0 ESR (last for XP):

• media.gmp-eme-adobe.abi (string; x86-msvc-x64)

• media.gmp-eme-adobe.enabled (boolean; true)

• media.gmp-eme-adobe.forceSupported (boolean; true)

• media.gmp-eme-adobe.version (string; 17)

• media.gmp-eme-adobe.visible (boolean; true)

• media.gmp.decoder.enabled (boolean; true)

• media.eme.enabled (boolean; true)

and copy three files to the Firefox profile folder.

You do not have to change %VERSION% in media.gmp-manager.url

Edited by reboot12