POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

I installed Sp4 but get no updates, probably because Active x is missing, don't know why, never had that problem before. Can't find and install active x.

So I think maybe I can install XPSp3 again and then POS ready, I only need to know where to find instructions.

Or maybe an edit in the registry is what is needed?

Edited by Roffen
added text

On 3/15/2017 at 9:16 AM, glnz said:

Bersaglio - many thanks.  My Excel version is lower!  I'll try this when I get up enough courage to run the latest 11 updates.

Hey - Dave-H, you OK?  Never mind you - what about your PC?

LOL @ginz, I (and my PC) are fine thanks!

I've just successfully updated both my XP installations with all 11 updates, and the Silverlight update.
With Flash updates I usually wait now until Firefox tells me the plugin is now too old to use.
My God the scans took such a long time though, I do hope they've finally fixed this issue this month, whatever it is!
If this was happening with "real" POSReady/WindowsEmbedded installations, as well as hacked XP installations, MS must surely have had a huge number of complaints about it by now.
:)

22 hours ago, dencorso said:

It took 75min for WU to finish finding updates in my main machine. All along this time it had 13% CPU usage, but with two cores maxed up, of the 8 apparent cores of my i7 3770k (4 w hyperthreading). And I did install manually the ie8 update as suggested by @heinoganda... So it ought to take a long time on a less powerful machine. :(

It took 90min to find the updates for my alternate XP installation on the same i7 3770k... this time I hadn't previously installed the latest ie8 update...  So, it really seems to be of little influence, if any, this time around. :(

The strange thing was that after both my machines had been updated, a further scan on Microsoft Update with IE8 completed very quickly, and of course showed no critical updates available.
Whether this means that the issue has been fixed remains to be seen of course!
:)

Same here (under 1 min). But that's old news. Everytime MS "fixes" it but at the next "Patch Friday" the way too long delay is back again...
In case MS knows how to fix it (I doubt it by now), they clearly don't want to fix it (and a POS machine can wait for more than 1h before getting updates automatically, of course, so that's no big deal). Oh, well...  :wacko:

I think the big deal isn't so much that it takes so long; it's that it hogs the CPU the whole time.

You'd think at least they could put the misbehaving svchost.exe task at a below-normal priority.

Well, if we could identify it, we could lower its priority ourselves...  I'll sure give it a shot once I get home... I have 4 machines still to update, anyway.
But bear in mind lowering the priority will make it even slower.

I've done his before but now I can't do it, can you tell me how to add this line to my registry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE_SYSTEM\WPA\POSReady]

I can open the registry and find my way in there, but exactly how can I add the entry in the right place?

The entries to delete isn't there already.

1 hour ago, dencorso said:

Well, if we could identify it, we could lower its priority ourselves...
But bear in mind lowering the priority will make it even slower.

I tried lowering the priority of svchost.exe with task manager but it wouldn't let me.

You're right, it'd make it take even longer to run, but at least it wouldn't slow down everything else as much.

Oh, well; I don't need to worry about it again until next month.

1 hour ago, Roffen said:

I've done his before but now I can't do it, can you tell me how to add this line to my registry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE_SYSTEM\WPA\POSReady]

I can open the registry and find my way in there, but exactly how can I add the entry in the right place?

The entries to delete isn't there already.

If the PosReady key isn't there under the WPA key, right-click the WPA key, select New / Key, and name it PosReady.

Then click the PosReady key. There should be a value named "Installed" on the right. If it's not there, right-click on PosReady, select New / DWORD Value, and name it Installed. Set its value to 1 (0x00000001 in hex).

17 hours ago, Tripredacus said:

Do not post links to files not allowed for redistribution! :angry:

This was an official update for Excel 2003 from the Microsoft website, which a year later has been removed along with most other updates for Windows XP and Office 2003. It's very sad that we can not publish links to official updates... I'm sorry for posting a link.:(

18 minutes ago, Bersaglio said:

It's very sad that we can not publish links to official updates...

Well, I can offer you some further clarifications: links to official MS servers are OK, links to the Internet Archive image of official MS servers and to Digital River (which actually is MS, too) are also OK, when existing, but anything else is "unauthorized redistribution", and hence, against our Rule #1. Please notice that the reason that rule exists is not so much to protect MS's interests, or to hamper our members' freedom, but to actually protect MSFN from trouble. Thank you for your understanding!