POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

My System Restore did not work.  Every date I tried to restore would not go through.  I remember someone in this thread had good luck with creating a fresh restore point and restoring to that, but unfortunately that did not help either.  I'm running out of ideas....

Are there more disks or partitions? If so, the update is first unpacked on a drive (for example to c:) in a cryptic folder, which is perhaps a drive where there is not enough disk space. A scandisk has already been executed, which may be an error in the file system. Would make a checkout with the Kaspersky Rescue Disk (bootable), to rule out an attack by malicious software. Unfortunately, the ideas go out of my now. :( Sorry, but this seems to be a very resistant problem to where many causes can be.

:)

@SD73

I've never had any luck either with System Restore on one of my XP machines.
Every time I've tried to use it, on any restore point, it goes through the motions and then just says "the system could not be restored" without giving any reason.
Your problem is certainly a very strange one. My only thought, and it's clutching at straws, is would it perhaps be possible to try installing the updates with the standalone installer files when booted into the Recovery Console?
I have no idea whether they will even work in that environment, but just a thought.
:dubbio:

I appreciate all the input guys!  heinoganda, I think you may be onto something.  The last thing I remembered happening was trying to load the updates from a USB stick I copied them too.  At some point the stick died and shortly after I noticed the issue happening.  It gave me the "The System Cannot Find the File Specified."   That's when I tried forcing it from the browser and then waiting for the yellow shield.  I did run some utilities to clean up the disk like CClean and XP's tools, but obviously that didn't do it.  Any idea where these sort of files may be hidden? 

Dave, I actually tried that too.  Again, I appreciate the idea.  And I'm open to any and all at this point.

Edited by SD73

15 minutes ago, heinoganda said:

Since I create Updaterollups, I could give you something by PM if interest exists. The updates are already extracted in this package. Maybe the node can be solved.

PM sent! :)

@dencorso

That there will be no more security bulletins in the future, where an orientation was, is very regrettable. I only noticed that for some updates in March, an update for the update was released this month.
A note about the POSReady updates, because of a previous installation of MSI 4.5 in the first comment, would be desirable.

Edited by heinoganda

8 hours ago, SD73 said:

What a forum and what a talented bunch of members!  I'm back in business!  :D

Good news! :thumbup
How did you actually get the updates to install?
Did you use @heinoganda's roll-up version, and did you do it normally or using the Recovery Console?

11 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Good news! :thumbup
How did you actually get the updates to install?
Did you use @heinoganda's roll-up version, and did you do it normally or using the Recovery Console?

YES!  Heinoganda is a very modest man.  He didn't want me to make a big fuss, but it was absolutely his roll-up package that did the trick!  

None the the individual updates would load whether they were downloaded individually, through the Install Shield, or the Windows Update website.  After the install of his roll-up package (just the normal way you'd run it, not in recovery) things went back to as they should and we tested individual updates and indeed they began working again too.  Then Heinoganda went the extra step and gave me roll-ups of the .Net updates just to make sure I was in top form.  

As near as I can figure, the cause was me installing this round of updates from a USB stick that died and corrupted something along the way.  I did tons of troubleshooting the problem with zero results until Heinoganda offered his help.  This is a fantastic site, and guys like Heinoganda really are a credit to this community!  Thanks again Heinoganda and everyone who offered suggestions along the way!

6 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

Yes Heinoganda is brilliant, his updating program for the Root Certificates alone is amazing!
:yes:

Absolutely!  I have that in my Start Up folder.  If I have kids, boy or a girl, Heinoganda is going to be the name!

Off-Topic:

This is not your seriousness, your child is punished with these names :blink:. With us in Germany, the name Heino is known for its frightful, commercial folk music, which I hate above all. A prime example for this typical commercial and mainstream s*** (Oh sorry, excrement). Just search for the Heino in google and believe me you will not expect your child (blond toupee with sun glassesshock_40_anim_gif.gif). My pseudonyms in the forums are already unique and dissuasive. :D

Edited by heinoganda