POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

CRK:

You quoted w2k4eva as follows, and I add my answers here:

To dencorso and glnz, could you both check what account is the owner of the folders:

C:\Documents and Settings\Default User  --  Administrators

C:\Documents and Settings\Local Service  --  Administrators

C:\Documents and Settings\Network Service  --  Administrators

C:\Documents and Settings\ (your account name)  --  Administrators

Mine are all owned by the "Administators" group, I'm thinking that glnz may have this too but perhaps dencorso does not?  --  Yes for glnz

Also could you both open a cmd prompt and type

cd c:\Documents and Settings

cacls "Default User" > perms.txt

cacls LocalService >> perms.txt

cacls NetworkService >> perms.txt

cacls (your account name) >> perms.txt

then paste the contents of perms.txt here?

C:\Documents and Settings\Default User NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(OI)(CI)F
                                       BUILTIN\Administrators:(OI)(CI)F
                                       BUILTIN\Users:R
                                       BUILTIN\Users:(OI)(CI)(IO)(special access:)                                                                 

GENERIC_READ
                                                                 GENERIC_EXECUTE

BUILTIN\Power Users:R
                                       BUILTIN\Power Users:(OI)(CI)(IO)(special access:)                                                                     

GENERIC_READ
                                                                       GENERIC_EXECUTE

Everyone:R
                                       Everyone:(OI)(CI)(IO)(special access:)                                                            GENERIC_READ
                                                            GENERIC_EXECUTE

C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE:F
                                       NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:F
                                       BUILTIN\Administrators:F
                                       NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE:(OI)(CI)(IO)F
                                       NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(OI)(CI)(IO)F
                                       BUILTIN\Administrators:(OI)(CI)(IO)F

C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE:F
                                         NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE:(OI)(CI)(IO)F

C:\Documents and Settings\[my name] DELLOPTIPLEX755\[my name]:F
                                      DELLOPTIPLEX755\[my name]:(OI)(CI)(IO)F

But I've forgotten what this means.  Will Hillary win the election?

Edited by glnz

13 minutes ago, glnz said:

But I've forgotten what this means.  Will Hillary win the election?

I hope so! In another reality, she probably did (lately, it seems we've gotten stuck in some sort of weird, alternate, and warped non-reality where everything is fake).

Anyway, back to the topic at hand: I'm busy reinstalling Windows on my laptop. The 2000 installation I had blew up fantastically after I tried upgrading the Extended Core, so I backed up everything of value and reinstalled XP on the thing. I'm running all the normal updates through EOL, then I'll apply the POS hack to get the rest. Then I can check to see how everything's going.

c

On 5/27/2015 at 7:49 AM, w2k4eva said:

To dencorso and glnz, could you both check what account is the owner of the folders: [...]

On 5/27/2015 at 7:15 PM, dencorso said:

I run XP on FAT32: so, everyone can access any and everything. And, of course, cacls don't apply. Sorry!

@w2k4eva: OTOH, it seems to reinforce your hypothesis, doesn't it?

As I said above: I run XP on FAT32, which means "everybody owns everything".

3 hours ago, cc333 said:

Anyway, back to the topic at hand: I'm busy reinstalling Windows on my laptop. The 2000 installation I had blew up fantastically after I tried upgrading the Extended Core, so I backed up everything of value and reinstalled XP on the thing. I'm running all the normal updates through EOL, then I'll apply the POS hack to get the rest. Then I can check to see how everything's going.

2 hours ago, heinoganda said:

@cc333

Before you install POSReady Updates, please install Microsoft Installer (MSI) 4.5!

Download Windows Installer 4.5 Redistributable or direct WindowsXP-KB942288-v3-x86.exe (multilanguage) :)

@cc333:
Before you install POSReady Updates, IMO you should download from the links I'm giving here and install the following updates:

then, with automatic updates disabled, access WU and search for updates using the "Custom" option... and when the list appears, do hide both KB905474 (the WGA Notifications - not needed at all) and KB2934207 (XP EoS Nag).

18 hours ago, heinoganda said:

@cc333

Before you install POSReady Updates, please install Microsoft Installer (MSI) 4.5!

Download Windows Installer 4.5 Redistributable or direct WindowsXP-KB942288-v3-x86.exe (multilanguage)

:)

This should be added to the first post.

As well as an information about .NET/ Silverlight related things. I once wanted to write quick guide and started, but I failed.

Team MSFN - I tried twice to install pCloud on my XP machine and it crashed explorer.exe both times. Uninstalled both times.
Is there any chance that the POS updates might somehow interfere with it?
I wanted to try pCloud because I need a replacement for the free versions of Cubby and SugarSync, both of which were discontinued. They gave me PC-to-PC Immediate Folder Sync over the web (as well as a cloud-related "drive").
Thanks.

Edited by glnz

@glnz

Property with pCloud me a free account created, the pCloud software for Windows XP v3.1.1 installed and several tests made without the Explorer any crash has. Tested between my host and a virtual machine. What kind of virus scanner are you using? (Can remind me that Avast was installed with you) The current Avast was all the more Proleme I had under Windows XP, until I could not even change an existing WinRAR archive with WinRAR later. It started with storing Word files under Office 2003 with a error message then were defect, until the Avast thinks the certificates to test from the websites on which I surfs (Man in the middle attack) with the result that many websites no longer Could be opened. This has absolutely nothing more in common with a security gain, it's more an attack on my security and system, for this reason I'm back to version 8. You should not push any problem on the POSReady updates. Above all, it seems easier to find a culprit.

Edited by heinoganda

Heinoganda- thanks.  Yes, I'm using Avast.  However, this time I turned it off before installing pCloud, but explorer froze again, and I got a BSOD when restarting.   However, you have just proven that it's not the POS hack.  Too bad for me - frustrating.  Thanks for testing - much obliged.

heinoganda - thanks again for your interest.  (MSFN is like a secret headquarters where the best super-pals hang out !!! You guys are like the Justice League of America, and I'm Snapper Carr!!) 

Yes, that's the one I downloaded for XP -- 3.1.1 (27/05/2015).  I tried it one more time yesterday and set the installation so that the actual pCloud app would NOT start after the installation.  However, the installation, by itself, wrecked my explorer.exe again.  So I again UNinstalled and ran sfc /scanonce to fix.

1)  Now, my installations of pCloud said they were also installing a Redistributable.  So, I wonder whether I should install all needed Redistributables myself first, and then try to install pCloud again.  Problem is that I don't know which Redistributable pCloud was installing.

2)  Next, this got me curious about C++ Redistributables on my XP machine.  Is there a way to install and update ALL possible C++ Redistributables on XP, in the correct order, with SPs and updates?  The MS index of C++ Redistributables is a jumble of downloads that are not in any order.

3)  Also, while researching the Redistributables, I came across the Microsoft .NET Framework Repair Tool, also known as NetFxRepairTool.exe.  Very nice!  However, after running it twice, there is one error in Event Viewer, and this error appeared at the end of both runs of .NET Framework Repair Tool.  See the attached Word .doc for the screenshots and error info.

4)  Anyway, I wish I could figure out the problem with pCloud.  I really miss SugarSync and Cubby.

Thanks, heinoganda !!!

error at end of Microsoft .NET Framework Repair Tool 2-20-17.doc

PCloud requires C++ Redistributable 2008 and is installed with the program. Here is the link for the latest release (Security Update). NET Framework is not required and is a different construction site. PCloud for Windows XP was created with Visual Studio 2008, so the library (.dll) installed with C ++ Redistributable 2008 is required to run the program. In the case of the possibly occurring Blue Screen, a fault message is issued, which could be very helpful. Is it possible to install other cloud clients that are not compatible or that an installed program does not interact correctly with Explorer? Questions about questions! Sorry, I can not offer as a fast solution. :(

heinoganda - thanks for info.  I downloaded the C++ Redistributable 2008 installer and ran it; it "Repaired" my existing 2008 C++ Redistributable; but a re-install of pCloud again caused errors and a freeze as soon as I clicked in any Explorer window, even before I actually ran pCloud.

As soon as I uninstall pCloud, explorer works again.

Would you want to see - and would it be safe to upload here - a minidump file?  If not safe to upload here, how do I send you?

Thanks.

heinoganda - a few details -

1) First, you and I are having this very nice conversation in this thread while the world holds its breath for more XP POS updates.  If you want me to move this to a new topic, please let me know.  But, who knows, maybe this issue is helpful to others still clinging to their XP life preservers.  (Mine is getting waterlogged.)

2) Your link for the C++ Redistributable 2008 installer was for version 9.0.30729.6161, which certainly seems correct.  However, the version of C++ Redistributable 2008 which pCloud always installs (no option) is 9.0.21022.  Would that be a possible issue?  Actually, I would guess that is NOT the problem.  But just FYI.

3) Other forums discussing other explorer problems suggest that either DEP or too many shell extensions might be the problem, and I have downloaded two nirsoft utilities to check later.  What do you think?

4) Got your PM and will be sending you stuff later.

5)  I have written that explorer.exe crashes.  Correct, but the actual symptom is this:  Immediately after I install pcloud (and before I start pcloud.exe), if I open any explorer window showing a folder and its files, as soon as I right-click anywhere in that window, explorer freezes, I get error messages and there are errors later in Event viewer.

Thanks.

14 hours ago, glnz said:

Would you want to see - and would it be safe to upload here - a minidump file?  If not safe to upload here, how do I send you?

There is no question of moving your issue into another thread. It was only because you can send me the Minidump files, for this reason I sent you a PM.