Trace why Windows 8 boots, shutsdown or hibernates slowly

MagicAndre1981

your boot is a bit slow:

- <timing bootDoneViaExplorer="41563" bootDoneViaPostBoot="137863"

this means 41s to the UI and 127s to fully boot. 2 services seam to be slow:

<serviceTransition name="AMD FUEL Service" group="" transition="start" totalTransitionTimeDelta="34521" firstCheckpointTimeDelta="0" processingTimeDelta="34521" container="Fuel.Service.exe /launchService (1900)" startedAt="23545" firstCheckpointedAt="23545" endedAt="58065" />   <serviceTransition name="AntiVirService" group="" transition="start" totalTransitionTimeDelta="32149" firstCheckpointTimeDelta="35" processingTimeDelta="32114" container="avguard.exe (1924)" startedAt="23544" 

also running all startup tools is extremely slow and causes the longest delay:

<interval name="PostExplorerPeriod" startTime="41563" endTime="137863" duration="96300">

so cleanup the startup programs

Dear MagicAndre, I also have a very slow Windows 8 boot. I have followed your instructions and have looked at the trace in the graphic Windows Performance analyser. I seem to have a very long WinLogin time. If my interpretation is correct, this is linked to a long time in the "None" group linked to a long FDResPub and SSDPSRV.

But - what does this mean and what can I do about it? Summary_boot.xml in link below.

http://sdrv.ms/152c2Jk

Alistair

booting to the UI is slow:

- <timing bootDoneViaExplorer="61794" bootDoneViaPostBoot="74194"

61s to UI and 64s to be fully booted.

First delay happens when Windows hangs scanning the SATA controller

pnpObject name="PCI\VEN_8086+DEV_2822+SUBSYS_B0001458+REV_00\3+13c0b0c5+0+FA" type="Device" activity="Enum" startTime="468" endTime="2659" duration="2191" prePendTime="2191" description="Intel(R) ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R/DO SATA RAID Controller" friendlyName="" /> 

prePendTime = driver issue. Get a new Intel driver.

The longest delay seams to be caused by Group Policy client:

- <notification type="Logon" sessionId="1" startTime="24350" endTime="60083" duration="35734">  <subscriber name="GPClient" startTime="24586" endTime="60045" duration="35460" /> 

Which GPOs do you apply?

• 2 weeks later...

MagicAndre1981,

Two separate Windows 8 x64 machines started having very slow boot times after the August Windows Updates.

Machines boot very quickly to the logon screen and then after either:

1. Supply password

2. Entering fingerprint (laptop)

3. Entering PIN (desktop)

It takes almost a minute to get to the desktop. Prior to the patches I would see the desktop (I use Start8) within 20 seconds.

To give a little more info, after I login the long wait generally occurs prior to seeing the "welcome" message and spinning dots.

At first I thought it might be Google Drive and removed that from my startup, but that made no difference.

I've also tried a couple of different AVs (bitdefender and now Panda), but that doesn't seem to make a difference.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

summary_boot.xml

this service is extremely slow:

serviceTransition name="PSUAService" group="" transition="start" totalTransitionTimeDelta="60841" firstCheckpointTimeDelta="190" processingTimeDelta="60651" container="PSUAService.exe (3172)" startedAt="9016" firstCheckpointedAt="9206" endedAt="69857" /> 

This is Panda Cloud Antivirus.

Thank you for the quick response. You were correct. I uninstalled Panda and boot times came right back. I then reinstalled bitdefender and slow boots again. Uninstalled that and tried Panda and same thing.

Both of them were working fine until the August updates. I'm not seeing a lot of other reports on the issue though.

Anyway, for now I'll run MS Defender until I can figure this one out.

Thank you again for your time.

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

hi - have followed instructions in post 1 - hope i got it right - my system has recently started to take an age to restart - the bootup part is fine - it just seems to hang for ages with the rotating icon waiting to shut down - log is here - again hope i have done it right

link deleted

its double dutch to me - but would appreciate any help

thanks

Edited by adacom

what is the service "ndassvc"? This service seams to hang during shutdown

its for a drive on the network - slightly different to a normal nas drive in that it needs software on each pc that wants access - bit old technology now - made by XIMETA - and that was and is the problem stop the service and all is back to normal - will have to put up with it - but at least i know the problem

how you saw that i have no idea but we all have our own knowledge

thanks for your time and the solution

tony