Trace why Windows 8 boots, shutsdown or hibernates slowly

MagicAndre1981

@ Southpaw

the PC boot slowly, because the mscorsvw.exe causes a high CPU usage. Looks like you've installed a .net update. Let Windows finish the work (or run ngen update from the normal and x64 .net 4.5 folder) and next boot it should be faster.

Thanks for your help! This is foreign territory to me, so to make sure I understand, I should start up and just let Windows sit for a while to finish whatever it is that needs to be done. Is that correct? I did some googling and found this site: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/davidnotario/archive/2005/04/27/412838.aspx, explaining how to force the queued up work to finish. Will that work?

For the ngen update, do I just find the correct folders, e.g., microsoft\framework\v4.5 & microsoft\frameworkx64\v4.5, then find and run the ngen update files? (Unfortunately I'm not in front of the right computer at the moment to look for them). Will the update files be something easy to recognize like ngen.exe or ngenupdate.exe?

Sorry for all of the questions but thanks again for your help. I really appreciate it. I'll let you know how it goes.

Hi MagicAndre,

I'm hoping you can help me, I'm kinda lost. Whenever I start windows it gets to the desktop fairly quickly but some programs won't start. IE10 won't start at all and WMP12 start but doesn't respond, but suddenly everything pops up like they were waiting for something to end. Windows explorer, Firefox and most programs that dont need an internet connection don't have this problem. IE10 usually pops up about 10 seconds before the trace ends.

I'd appreciate it if you could help.

summary_boot.xml

Hi!

Its me again. =P

So I reinstalled my whole operating system since I was not able to refresh or reset. Kept getting errors.

But now my startup is still at 50-60 and sometimes even 70 seconds. = /

What can I do now?

Can you use the fastboot command to trace the faster boot?

How do I do that? Is the fast boot the selective boot? Cause that is how I always boot...?

And I set up the credentials to log me in automatically, why does it take so long? :wacko:

Edited by BDelsol

Is this it?

xbootmgr -trace fastStartup -noPrepReboot -traceFlags BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER -resultPath C:\TEMP

And yes, when setting up the computer it asked for a windows live account so I set it up. But I am not sure if I'm using an MS account or the local account? How do I find that out?

Edited by BDelsol

fastBoot is fine:

<timing bootDoneViaExplorer="3278" bootDoneViaPostBoot="20778" osLoaderDuration="0" postBootRequiredIdleTime="10000" postBootDisturbance="7500"

3s to the UI and fully booted in 10s. Try to avoid the traditional boot (only select reboot if you really need).