Unofficial SP 5.2 for Microsoft Windows 2000 (WIP)

tomasz86

For the time being I would prefer to stay with a free solution...

At the moment I have just moved the files and redirected everything to Dropbox. Unfortunately to do a full redirection (now the URL changes) I would have to use a 3rd party paid solution. I will have to think about what to do next as I do not really want to use any "free" hosting service. Most of them are very unreliable. A good thing about Google Drive (and Dropbox) is almost 100% uptime and very fast servers.

Of course I want to keep the current top level .tk domain too.

On 4/30/2016 at 0:51 AM, tomasz86 said:

http://windows2000.tk is not working at the moment but you can still access my website under http://www.googledrive.com/host/0Bw_nt4aAJIoPTnZrUHBkdEZ4RjA.

The site is hosted on Google Drive and I have used http://gweb.io to link it to the .tk domain but the service seems to be completely down. I have also just learnt that Google Drive itself will no longer offer web hosting after August 2016 so I will now have to start looking for a different solution.

I moved my domain to Hostgator in 2011. I don't recall my registrar immediately prior, but in the earlier years I was using AOL Hometown (members.aol.com/sdfox7) which has since been shut down for several years.

With HostGator I have never had any uptime issues and have 100% availability anytime I accessed my site. No advertising.

If you are interested, I could probably add your .tk domain to my account. I already pay for the hosting package, so it's simply a matter of the $15 annual renewal.

Question,

I am currently running Unofficial Updates Rollup 5.1 with Firefox 35.1.

I can get Firefox 36.1 to load in fine, but every time i try to open it it crashes and boots up the crash reporter.

Can anyone give me a suggestion on what to do?

Thanks in advance

On 5/2/2016 at 9:10 AM, sdfox7 said:

I moved my domain to Hostgator in 2011. I don't recall my registrar immediately prior, but in the earlier years I was using AOL Hometown (members.aol.com/sdfox7) which has since been shut down for several years.

With HostGator I have never had any uptime issues and have 100% availability anytime I accessed my site. No advertising.

If you are interested, I could probably add your .tk domain to my account. I already pay for the hosting package, so it's simply a matter of the $15 annual renewal.

Thank you for the offer! I cannot accept it though as I would really like to keep 100% control over the site and the hosting, and also be able to easily make changes every time I want to.

I have found a free service (http://pancake.io) which links my domain to my Dropbox folder. It is the same method as before with Google Drive so I hope it will work fine.

1 hour ago, NorthAzimuth said:

Question,

I am currently running Unofficial Updates Rollup 5.1 with Firefox 35.1.

I can get Firefox 36.1 to load in fine, but every time i try to open it it crashes and boots up the crash reporter.

Can anyone give me a suggestion on what to do?

Thanks in advance

Hmm, I would have to test it myself but you try the following:

1. Launch Firefox in safe mode (keep SHIFT pressed) and see if it still crashes.
2. Disable hardware acceleration in Firefox' settings if it is enabled.
3. Install the newest release of the BlackWingCat's kernel and see if the problem persists. UURollup has not been updated for a while and it is much behind the current version of the BWC kernel. I hope you have IE6 installed because while UURollup will work without it, the BWC kernel will not and the system will likely not boot at all if you put it over IE5.

Edited by tomasz86

On 4/6/2016 at 0:35 AM, tomasz86 said:

Just in case, all Windows 2000 official updates and hotfixes (including the SP4) in all language versions are available to download via my Download Archive :)

I am actually thinking of preparing a minor update to the original USP5 just to fix the few known bugs (buggy USB drivers, CPU overheating, etc.). As for something on a larger scale than that, I cannot really say or promise anything at the moment.

I have noticed that Windows 2000 requires the Update Rollup in order to avoid Bad Pool Caller 0x000000C2 errors, particularly while running web browsers such as Firefox and Opera.

For example, opening washingtonpost.com on Windows 2000 SP4 without the rollup will result in a BSOD and system reboot.

I have an related question, but believe starting a separate thread is unnecessary: Do you know if any of your tools/unofficial service packs can enable Windows 2000 to use WPA2? Windows XP SP2 simply requires KB893357 installed. Is there a way to port this to Windows 2000?

Windows 2000 is still a fantastic and useful system, but I am limited to using it only on my home and free public hotspots, because I am unable to get it working on a laptop with WPA2.

5 hours ago, submix8c said:

@Dibya - the link is given above, so I'm confused as to why you asked. "HFSLIP2000", right there! :huh:

Does i need to download each hotfixes?

HFSLIP2000 can be downloaded in two ways.

1. With hotfixes, updates, and other things already put into place and HFSLIP2000 being ready to run.

2. Without hotfixes, updates, and other things already put into place. This is useful usually ONLY if you want to download specific software to slipstream onto your to-be Windows 2000 ISO/Install-File-Archive/CD.

I really recommend downloading with option 1. It takes out hours of work. However for the time it takes to create the updated files, it may take a while. I did it on an non-updated Windows 2000 SP4 VM. It took several hours. If you can wait, I highly recommend you do so. HFSLIP2000 is the closest thing we have to an SP5, and can arguably be considered better as it is easier to include/exclude certain updates at the will of the user and/or developer.

If you choose option 2, please note that the files on http://windows2000.tk are links to Microsoft webpages that are being taken down. Windows 2000 SP4 installer has been taken down recently, for example. However, it is possible that these files may have been archived using Internet Archive's Wayback Machine at https://web.archive.org. Just insert the link of the taken down update and it may show up. I recommend you choose the most recent option, but stay in the years between the earliest archive of the page and March-April 2016, as after that, updates were being taken down. If there's an archived page for late April 2016 and beyond, it will likely redirect to a "page not found" page. Also, you can use Tomaz's Windows 2000 Archive, accessible using the HFSLIP2000 link and clicking "Public" or just click this link: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bw_nt4aAJIoPWWNBay13dTlXOWs#list.  Here, anything related to Tomaz's projects can be found, such as saved Windows 2000 updates, unofficial update rollups, HFSLIP2000 itself, and more. It's pretty late right now for me, I hope I helped you! :D

So ya, I'm happy that Windows 2000 is still alive. :)

Edited by Windows2000User
I removed your double post for you -Tommy | Thanks Tommy - Win2kUser

On 2016. 5. 3. at 2:47 PM, sdfox7 said:

I have noticed that Windows 2000 requires the Update Rollup in order to avoid Bad Pool Caller 0x000000C2 errors, particularly while running web browsers such as Firefox and Opera.
For example, opening washingtonpost.com on Windows 2000 SP4 without the rollup will result in a BSOD and system reboot.

At this point I do not think it makes any sense to test without having SP4, IE6, UR1 and all the other official updates and/or hotfixes installed. This is the minimum for my testing environment and I am not going to do any testing below that.

On 2016. 5. 3. at 2:47 PM, sdfox7 said:

I have an related question, but believe starting a separate thread is unnecessary: Do you know if any of your tools/unofficial service packs can enable Windows 2000 to use WPA2? Windows XP SP2 simply requires KB893357 installed. Is there a way to port this to Windows 2000?

Windows 2000 is still a fantastic and useful system, but I am limited to using it only on my home and free public hotspots, because I am unable to get it working on a laptop with WPA2.

No idea about WPA2 :(. I did use Windows 2000 on a laptop but the WiFi card had a proprietary software that was used to connect to wireless networks. It was a long time ago and I do not remember any details though. You may want to ask BlackWingCat about this problem.

14 hours ago, Windows2000User said:

please note that the files on http://windows2000.tk are links to Microsoft webpages that are being taken down. Windows 2000 SP4 installer has been taken down recently, for example. However, it is possible that these files may have been archived using Internet Archive's Wayback Machine at https://web.archive.org. Just insert the link of the taken down update and it may show up. I recommend you choose the most recent option, but stay in the years between the earliest archive of the page and March-April 2016, as after that, updates were being taken down. If there's an archived page for late April 2016 and beyond, it will likely redirect to a "page not found" page. Also, you can use Tomaz's Windows 2000 Archive, accessible using the HFSLIP2000 link and clicking "Public" or just click this link: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bw_nt4aAJIoPWWNBay13dTlXOWs#list.  Here, anything related to Tomaz's projects can be found, such as saved Windows 2000 updates, unofficial update rollups, HFSLIP2000 itself, and more. It's pretty late right now for me, I hope I helped you! :D

I have been working on my website for some time but it is still a long way to go to replace all the broken URLs. I am going to use the Wayback Machine wherever possible and my Archive for the others.

I have also changed hosting again. The Pancake thing was doing some underhand stuff by inserting JS scripts to my website source and also pushed their robots.txt file which blocked all crawlers (such as Google or Wayback Machine) from indexing the site which was a big no-no. The site is currently hosted on Github Pages which seems to work very nicely and transparently.

Edited by tomasz86

3 hours ago, tomasz86 said:

No idea about WPA2 :(. I did use Windows 2000 on a laptop but the WiFi card had a proprietary software that was used to connect to wireless networks. It was a long time ago and I do not remember any details though. You may want to ask BlackWingCat about this problem.

I'm pretty sure it does, it seems to me that I put my router on WPA2 for a while before I reintroduced Windows 98 to my network and so I set it to mixed WPA/WPA2 since I'm sure Windows 98 doesn't work on WPA2 since I think it's lucky wireless works at all.