Unofficial SP 5.2 for Microsoft Windows 2000 (WIP)

tomasz86

6 hours ago, Windows2000User said:

Archive.org has been a lifesaver for me at times. For example, things just like this. Also, a pretty obvious, Microsoft stopped hosting Windows 2000 SP4 installer! While I happen to have this on my external HDD, here is a link in case anyone needs to download it, courtesy of the Wayback Machine:https://web.archive.org/web/20141120202456/http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=4127

Just in case, all Windows 2000 official updates and hotfixes (including the SP4) in all language versions are available to download via my Download Archive :)

On 4/3/2016 at 4:11 AM, Windows2000User said:

Just noticed this. Are you still accepting testers? I'm interested.

5 hours ago, Tommy said:

I don't know if he's still "actively" working on SP5.2 at the moment. I'm sure it's not 100% dead but it's come to quite a slowdown due to his busy schedule. Even I don't have any sort of beta copies of USP5.2 and I'm one of the biggest Windows 2000 users on this board. But perhaps Tomasz will chime in but I'm sure he'll tell you about the same thing I just said.

I am actually thinking of preparing a minor update to the original USP5 just to fix the few known bugs (buggy USB drivers, CPU overheating, etc.). As for something on a larger scale than that, I cannot really say or promise anything at the moment.

Edited by tomasz86

On 5/4/2016 at 7:01 AM, Windows2000User said:

Archive.org has been a lifesaver for me at times. For example, things just like this. Also, a pretty obvious, Microsoft stopped hosting Windows 2000 SP4 installer! While I happen to have this on my external HDD, here is a link in case anyone needs to download it, courtesy of the Wayback Machine:https://web.archive.org/web/20141120202456/http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=4127

That's all, good luck with this project, and again, I'll test if you still accept testers, Tomaz.

That is REALLY interesting. Last year, I began working on a guide on the Un-Official Updates, plus how to get Windows up-to-date before installing them. Having checked just now on the page, I see that my SP4 and Update Rollup 1 links are dead. (If anyone would like a link to my page - they are most welcome to PM me. The site is presently mirrored on someone elses home-grade internet connection, and I would prefer not to capitalise on this).

I wonder what this means for the Windows Update service? Can it still be trusted to provide a complete set of patches after an installation of Windows 2000, or not?
(I did an install on my system with it last year, after updating the WuA and nothing else. Having installing Update Rollup 1, Gurgelmyer's SP5 I had about 127 updates).

Look, for the record - I too am more than happy to test out SP5.2. My Windows 2000 machine is still used in a home production setting, as its just so much quicker and easier than diddling with my Macbook or Windows 7. I have a couple of hardware platforms this might work on, too. Not to mention the ability to test in VirtualBox or VPC2007.

My suggestion would be for anyone and everyone to get what they need/want STAT before more of M$'s archive is lost to the winds of time.

Edited by nostaglic98

On 4/6/2016 at 8:14 PM, Tommy said:

I don't know if he's still "actively" working on SP5.2 at the moment. I'm sure it's not 100% dead but it's come to quite a slowdown due to his busy schedule. Even I don't have any sort of beta copies of USP5.2 and I'm one of the biggest Windows 2000 users on this board. But perhaps Tomasz will chime in but I'm sure he'll tell you about the same thing I just said.

I'm sure of the same. I honestly was just wondering if that were to be true, since I have at least SOME time to my disposal (and not VM machines) to test this. By all means, I'm rather confident of the same response coming from Tomasz seeing his busy schedule (which I can relate at most times). Really, it would be nice if this project reached beta testing.

On 4/6/2016 at 1:35 AM, tomasz86 said:

Just in case, all Windows 2000 official updates and hotfixes (including the SP4) in all language versions are available to download via my Download Archive :)

I am actually thinking of preparing a minor update to the original USP5 just to fix the few known bugs (buggy USB drivers, CPU overheating, etc.). As for something on a larger scale than that, I cannot really say or promise anything at the moment.

Ah... that's all nice. I've been waiting for something of the sorts for a while with the Post-EOL Windows 2000 Community. I really think you should do that, as it will ultimately progress the effort of keeping Windows 2000 alive. Also, "As for something on a larger scale than that, I cannot really say or promise anything for the moment". Does that mean USP5.2 won't be ready for beta testing for many years to come, or just a few months?

Edited by Windows2000User

1 hour ago, Windows2000User said:

Does that mean USP5.2 won't be ready for beta testing for many years to come, or just a few months?

It's been in development for quite a few years now but quite honestly, with HFSLIP, it's almost like having USP5.2 slipstreamed right into your installation and if you grab the big .NET package he has available (If you rely on many .NET framework applications even up to 4.0), then it's a hugely recommended update as well!

As Tommy said, at the moment HFSLIP is able to slipstream most updates in the same way as when we integrate a service pack. It is also more flexible. In case of a service pack, it has to be continuously updated and cannot be easily modified, which is not the case with HFSLIP where you can freely add and remove specific updates. The only real benefit of a service pack is the ability to install it in an already running system which is something that HFSLIP is unable to do.

I still think that it would be nice to have a fully updated USP5 but at the moment, with my limited time, it will probably be better to focus on adding all the new Windows XP POSReady updates to my website, and also maintaining a few of the other unofficial packages, such as the combined .NET Framework installer which Tommy mentioned above.

I will try to do as much as I can but cannot really give any details in advance. I will keep everyone informed if I release anything new or make any changes in the existing packages. For new functions and new software compatibility I would suggest to follow BlackWingCat and his kernel which he updates very often.

Edited by tomasz86

Just do what you can, man! You've already made super strides in the Windows 2000 community and between you and Blackwingcat, I've been able to keep 2000 as my production environment nearly 6 years AFTER Microsoft pulled the plug on it. Both of you deserve a big hand for all the hard work you've put into it as well as all the past members who'd contributed as well.

On 4/8/2016 at 8:23 PM, Tommy said:

It's been in development for quite a few years now but quite honestly, with HFSLIP, it's almost like having USP5.2 slipstreamed right into your installation and if you grab the big .NET package he has available (If you rely on many .NET framework applications even up to 4.0), then it's a hugely recommended update as well!

I have a suggestion regarding HFSLIP 2000, seeing as it's basically an installer with a service pack. Here it is.

If you're not aware, Windows 2000 supports a non-destructive reinstall, though it's not that obvious. It requires that you already have 2000 installed. Basically, it goes like this:

1. Boot off the slipstreamed Windows 2000 ISO

2. Select the option that "installs" Windows 2000.

3. It will detect that Windows 2000 is already installed when you reach the Partitioning Page where you tell the installer where to install Windows, at which point it will ask if you want to "repair" the Windows 2000 Installation by pressing the R key.

4. It will basically proceed to install Windows as normal, with an exception that all the programs, settings, files, users etc. will still be there! This of course means several screens in the installer are bypassed during the graphical installer portion of setup.

I tested this in a VM and it worked seamlessly, only taking a few minutes (The VM had 2GB of Ram and an emulated SSD, so of course it went fast). I have yet to test this on physical hardware, but I believe that it will work just fine. I'm already using my old Laptop, a XP-Era Fujitsu Lifebook S7010, to test old OSes on good-enough hardware to see if they can still do enough things. I've found that using Windows 98SE with some tweaks works fine, and I already know Windows 2000 just isn't dead yet. Maybe somewhere, this tutorial (in more detail) can be hosted on the Windows2000.tk site, as it basically simplifies setting up Windows 2000 (of course adding blackwingcat's kernel later).

UPDATE: I couldn't find a way do successfully install the extended kernel on top of a slipstreamed install other than installing UUR v11 Daily 11/30/14 (That is US Format, INTL Format 30/11/14) which I downloaded from a link in a now taken down Youtube Video called "Windows 2000 in 2015" by experienceRCOS. Until I got HFSLIP2000 working, I deployed and tested Windows 2000 by following these steps: Install SP4, Install SP5 (Original), Install UUR v11 Daily 11/30/14. Never mind that, unless it's actually a good idea. Anyways, is installing UUR v11 Daily 11/30/14 after installing Windows 2000 through an ISO that was HFSLIP2000 created safe? Or does that downgrade the W2K Install or ruin some of the updates or something else. I've already done it and I don't see a notable difference other than I got the Extended Kernel working.

Edited by Windows2000User

I am going to gradually update my website, starting with adding the remaining XP POSReady updates which have been released since the last update. After that I am thinking of reorganizing the website a little bit - especially the "Update scenarios" section which at the moment is not very useful. I should probably include all the information about how to prepare a fully updated Windows 2000 source which has been discussed here all the time. I think a detailed guide will probably play this role best as at the moment there is no such information readily available. It may be wise to gather such information in one place as at the moment the only "up-to-date" guide on HFSLIP is the one on the Mim0's website which is no longer updated.

Please let me know if there is any specific content that you think would be valuable to add to the site! :)

6 hours ago, tomasz86 said:

It may be wise to gather such information in one place as at the moment the only "up-to-date" guide on HFSLIP is the one on the Mim0's website which is no longer updated.

Obviously, copy the information on how to use HFSLIP. Secondly...

On 4/9/2016 at 11:11 AM, Windows2000User said:

I have a suggestion regarding HFSLIP 2000, seeing as it's basically an installer with a service pack. Here it is.

If you're not aware, Windows 2000 supports a non-destructive reinstall, though it's not that obvious. It requires that you already have 2000 installed. Basically, it goes like this:

1. Boot off the slipstreamed Windows 2000 ISO

2. Select the option that "installs" Windows 2000.

3. It will detect that Windows 2000 is already installed when you reach the Partitioning Page where you tell the installer where to install Windows, at which point it will ask if you want to "repair" the Windows 2000 Installation by pressing the R key.

4. It will basically proceed to install Windows as normal, with an exception that all the programs, settings, files, users etc. will still be there! This of course means several screens in the installer are bypassed during the graphical installer portion of setup.

Yeah, there's this.

And make a link to the Windows 2000 Update Archive more obvious. Windows2000.tk/archive doesn't work. However, clicking the link to HFSLIP download does take you there, just inside several folders which you can get back to the root from easily.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Tomasz is good to see you again...

i'm perfectly agree with what Tommy Honey said:

... You've already made super strides in the Windows 2000 community ...

And i'd like to add that i'm still using win2000 EXT KRN O.S. on my old laptop acer aspire 4320 in dual boot with win7U...

and even now prefering, for a good number of reasons, the feel of freedom & speedness that the old NT5 is giving to me

cheers to the NT5 people

I have been working on my website for some time. There are indeed hundreds of broken links :(. It seems that Microsoft has removed a lot of updates recently as they were still working last year. It will take me some time to fix all of them.

I will definitely add information about HFSLIP and the Download Archive. As for the "non-destructive reinstall", it would require serious testing on real hardware and also instructions on how to make a disk image using 3rd party software as there is no way to either stop or revert the process. I would not do it without a proper backup.

http://windows2000.tk is not working at the moment but you can still access my website under http://www.googledrive.com/host/0Bw_nt4aAJIoPTnZrUHBkdEZ4RjA.

The site is hosted on Google Drive and I have used http://gweb.io to link it to the .tk domain but the service seems to be completely down. I have also just learnt that Google Drive itself will no longer offer web hosting after August 2016 so I will now have to start looking for a different solution.

Edited by tomasz86

Ah, it's times like this that must make life very annoying. I'm no "trusted source" on Web Hosting, but perhaps you can give Weebly a try. Or Google Sites rather than Google Drive.

Or perhaps, you can attempt to invest in hosting all this yourself on a server of your own. Maybe with Windows 2000 (Only problem being security).

Weebly: http://www.weebly.com

Google Sites: http://sites.google.com