Last Versions of Software for Windows 98SE

I have tried the new Java installer, version 6u10.

Whereas before (versions 6u6 and 6u7) one could overcome the installer problems and use the .msi file to install Java, now it seems impossible.

Upon running jre-6u10-windows-i586-p.exe, a directory is created under R%\Application Data\Sun\Java\jre1.6.0_10, with two files:

Data1.cab

jre1.6.0_10.msi

The .cab file contains all or most of the actual files to be extracted and installed (under "core.zip"). However, the .msi file pops with Error 1721. Thus, it seems the only way to install would now be to manually extract files?

Would it be so hard for Sun to make the installation process Win98-friendly, seeing as Java 6u10 itself should still work on Windows 98?

When I try to install Java 6u10 (and fails), my msievent.log file (in Temp) is:

24/11/2008 19:15:20 (Error ) Product: Java 6 Update 10 -- Error 1723.There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A DLL required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action unzipcore, entry: MSIunzipcore, library: C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\regutils.dll

24/11/2008 19:15:28 (Info ) Product: Java 6 Update 10 -- Installation operation failed.

They probably used MSI v3.x to create the installer, to make sure Win9x won't ever be able to run it. Without the installer, nobody knows where exactly the files in the cab should go and which registry keys should be created/updated. This has to be deliberated, it's no accident/error/bug.

Bottom line is: Sun Java updates for Win9x - whether official or unofficial - are over.

Henceforth I shall just refer to their work as “Java”----and no longer prefix that word with “Sun”

Since the Light has left them; they no longer see the light of supporting 9x!

We shall just have to make do with the last working update.

P.S. Concerning last supported Zip utilities---Has anyone mentioned Pea Zip yet? It works quite well as a compression utility for 98se. I installed the latest version a few days ago. I think it works on 95 too.

If it has been added, then excuse me.

System Safety Monitor 2.0.8.583 will be the last 98 compatible version. Available at http://www.syssafety.com/files.html

Development for all versions of SSM has stopped. http://www.syssafety.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5298#5298

Not commercially viable. It's a shame since SSM is one of the most effective and powerful security apps available.

Rick

Another compression utility/zipper/unzipper---that works great in 98se is IZARC!

It's free, like Peazip---and opens almost any kind of compressed file you can find.

FileHippo has both.

There are still great programs availible for 98se Now, that were not there--back in the day.

They probably used MSI v3.x to create the installer, to make sure Win9x won't ever be able to run it. Without the installer, nobody knows where exactly the files in the cab should go and which registry keys should be created/updated. This has to be deliberated, it's no accident/error/bug.

Bottom line is: Sun Java updates for Win9x - whether official or unofficial - are over.

I've checked the MSI file and it was built using 2.00 Schema - 9x compatible...

I'll keep digging...

...Java JRE 6 update 11 was released (maybe they fixed installer).

Unfortunately, no, the JRE 6 update 11 installer does not work. The new release of JRE 5 update 17, however, does still work.

I use Zone Alarm on 98 S.E and the details of the version I use is 6.1.744.000 however I see listed in this thread a slightly newer version 6.1.744.001

My question is do I un-install then re-install fresh, or do I install over the older version that I currently have?

Or perhaps it's not worth bothering about.

Any help would be appreciated.

...Java JRE 6 update 11 was released (maybe they fixed installer).

Unfortunately, no, the JRE 6 update 11 installer does not work. The new release of JRE 5 update 17, however, does still work.

Isn't JRE6 not workable under 98SE? http://www.java.com website just upgraded me to JRE 5.17, but not JRE6. Any clue on this?

Malware/Trojan Scanner

LAST - FREE - A-squared-Free V3.5.0.27

Anyone using this program DO NOT UPDATE after 17/12/08.

Running update after this date will automatically download V4.0.0.21 of this which will NOT run on 98SE/ME. You will be greeted after the reboot with the ever increasingly seen( for us 98/ME users ) that this will not run on an unsupported system.

V3.5 had 1,555,689 malware signatures it is possibly worth keeping those in a scanner that works rather than ending up with a non working scanner.

HTH

Colin

Edited by lightning slinger