Geforce 6/7 and 8 AGP/PCI-E Driver Edition for Win98/ME by Zak!

ZakMcKracken84

On 3/27/2024 at 3:41 PM, Dixel said:

Yes, absolutely fine, I also did that BIOS mod by reflashing to 3700. There was (still is?) a ready made BIOS file from the original Quadro card circulating the internet.

On 4/3/2024 at 1:48 AM, MrMateczko said:

8000/9000 series and newer DO NOT work on Win9x. Period.

7000 series is latest GeForce line that works on Win9x.

I have no idea why the "support" for them was added all these years ago even though no-one reported them working.

I even mentioned it in this thread back in 2017:

This lie is really bothersome for me and for other people who actually know their Win9x stuff...

So what @Dixel said is wrong?  I've spent the money now but if Dixel can confirm... and if you are sure these DONT work then surely a Mod should fix the damn thread so nobody else wastes money buying them??

4 hours ago, Tripredacus said:

I do not see any recommendation to purchase anything. The OP lists specific cards and doesn't mention flashing cards to become different cards.

Thanks! People had been doing that for decades! Of course it's always a risk, warnings are everywhere, including the dedicated topics about the flashing (the only place where one can obtain a modded bios). 

"the 8600GTS I flashed for him to the Quadro performed a lot better than the 8600GTS before the flash"

https://www.overclock.net/threads/8600gt-flash-to-quadro-fx-1700.355437/

6 hours ago, Methanoid said:

So what @Dixel said is wrong?  I've spent the money now but if Dixel can confirm... and if you are sure these DONT work then surely a Mod should fix the damn thread so nobody else wastes money buying them??

Flashing old (only very old generations!) of cards to Quadro is no "lie".  Why only old? Because later nVidia made moves against it and issued a physical block. (need to solder some resistors off)

Considering the current price of 5 bucks  :boring:, in my opinion, the risk is worth it.

All this flashing VBIOS talk has nothing to do with Windows 9x. No amount of changing VBIOSes will make 8000+ series GPUs work on Windows 9x.

The damage has already been done, I'm just extremely surprised that the claimed "8000 series+ support" was never really challenged back when this topic started all these years ago and was just...passed as truth???

@Methanoid If you bought 8000/9000/newer series GPU to test it under Windows 9x, you'll be disappointed. You can have fun with it under Windows 2000+ or get a refund.

Has anyone already tried to build a hybrid version of the driver that combines the advantages of version 77.72 and version 82.69? I tested version 82.69 some time ago and found good support for OpenGL 2.0.1, while Direct3D applications worked crookedly, ran slowly, or even crashed at startup (the same NFS2000 for example). DirectDraw performance also suffered. While version 77.72 lacks all these disadvantages, Direct3D\DirectDraw works fully, but OpenGL version 2.0.0 and its performance is lower. In addition, NVOPENGL.DLL most often, it was necessary to roll back to version 71.84, to achieve the greatest stability and compatibility, in combination with PCI-E cards. But this was already disliked by some new programs that require a newer OpenGL (From version 82.69). Based on all these observations, it is quite natural to build a single version of the driver based on 82.69, consisting of several versions, which will take into account and correct all these shortcomings. Or somehow fix Direct3D in 82.69. Has anyone already tried to do something like this, does it make sense to start it at all (Or none of this will work and everything has been tried for a long time)? What other general practical recommendations do you have for PCI-e GeForce 6\7 Series users today?

22 hours ago, Dixel said:

Thanks! People had been doing that for decades! Of course it's always a risk, warnings are everywhere, including the dedicated topics about the flashing (the only place where one can obtain a modded bios). 

"the 8600GTS I flashed for him to the Quadro performed a lot better than the 8600GTS before the flash"

https://www.overclock.net/threads/8600gt-flash-to-quadro-fx-1700.355437/

Flashing old (only very old generations!) of cards to Quadro is no "lie".  Why only old? Because later nVidia made moves against it and issued a physical block. (need to solder some resistors off)

Considering the current price of 5 bucks  :boring:, in my opinion, the risk is worth it.

I think the complaint was not about whether you were able to flash a card, but whether you were able to successfully use said card on Win9x using this modified driver.

3 hours ago, Tripredacus said:

I think the complaint was not about whether you were able to flash a card, but whether you were able to successfully use said card on Win9x using this modified driver.

Strange, I never wrote that, perhaps that complainer confused me with someone else. I only answered regarding the chances of flashing.

https://msfn.org/board/topic/97786-geforce-67-and-8-agppci-e-driver-edition-for-win98me-by-zak/?do=findComment&comment=1261969

Then he wrote about "could use it for 2K, XP", not a word about 9x. Of course he could use it with XP, 2K!

https://msfn.org/board/topic/97786-geforce-67-and-8-agppci-e-driver-edition-for-win98me-by-zak/?do=findComment&comment=1261991

Wow! Think thrice before helping someone.

20 hours ago, defuser said:

Has anyone already tried to build a hybrid version of the driver that combines the advantages of version 77.72 and version 82.69? I tested version 82.69 some time ago and found good support for OpenGL 2.0.1, while Direct3D applications worked crookedly, ran slowly, or even crashed at startup (the same NFS2000 for example). DirectDraw performance also suffered. While version 77.72 lacks all these disadvantages, Direct3D\DirectDraw works fully, but OpenGL version 2.0.0 and its performance is lower. In addition, NVOPENGL.DLL most often, it was necessary to roll back to version 71.84, to achieve the greatest stability and compatibility, in combination with PCI-E cards. But this was already disliked by some new programs that require a newer OpenGL (From version 82.69). Based on all these observations, it is quite natural to build a single version of the driver based on 82.69, consisting of several versions, which will take into account and correct all these shortcomings. Or somehow fix Direct3D in 82.69. Has anyone already tried to do something like this, does it make sense to start it at all (Or none of this will work and everything has been tried for a long time)? What other general practical recommendations do you have for PCI-e GeForce 6\7 Series users today?

Have you tried NVOPENGL.DLL from 82.16 version?

8 hours ago, SweetLow said:

Of course, but you wrote hard off-topic for THIS thread.

I don't see "admin" by your account.

On 4/4/2024 at 10:48 AM, MrMateczko said:

The damage has already been done, I'm just extremely surprised that the claimed "8000 series+ support" was never really challenged back when this topic started all these years ago and was just...passed as truth???

@Methanoid If you bought 8000/9000/newer series GPU to test it under Windows 9x, you'll be disappointed. You can have fun with it under Windows 2000+ or get a refund.

Senior MSFN members don't agree with your opinion.

Compatible GRAPHICS CARDS with Windows 9x:

GeForce 7 --- AGP & PCIe (Requires UnOfficial Driver)

GeForce 8 --- AGP & PCIe (Requires UnOfficial Driver)

Quadro

Quadro2

Quadro DCC

Quadro 4

Quadro FX

Quadro NVS

https://msfn.org/board/topic/107001-compatible-hardware-with-windows-9x/?do=findComment&comment=708168

Screenshot_5.png

2 hours ago, Dixel said:

Senior MSFN members don't agree with your opinion.

Compatible GRAPHICS CARDS with Windows 9x:

GeForce 7 --- AGP & PCIe (Requires UnOfficial Driver)

GeForce 8 --- AGP & PCIe (Requires UnOfficial Driver)

Quadro

Quadro2

Quadro DCC

Quadro 4

Quadro FX

Quadro NVS

https://msfn.org/board/topic/107001-compatible-hardware-with-windows-9x/?do=findComment&comment=708168

Screenshot_5.png

This is wrong, Geforce 8 cards don't work under 9x. That post you quote is from 2007 and at that time it was briefly believed they did because those who did the unofficial driver added them to the inf files (but without actually testing any). Nobody ever reported success running any since then.

15 hours ago, MrMateczko said:

Have you tried NVOPENGL.DLL from 82.16 version?

Yes, thank you, I tried it and this version really works well (Showing itself much better in some usage
scenarios). However, there is a problem with Direct3D \ DirectDraw in the 8X.XX driver versions
(including 82.69) still remain. 

NVOPENGL.DLL from version 82.16, it was not compatible with the 77.72 driver (Applications crash with the error "abnormal program termination").

Edited by defuser

On 3/27/2024 at 3:41 PM, Dixel said:

Yes, absolutely fine, I also did that BIOS mod by reflashing to 3700. There was (still is?) a ready made BIOS file from the original Quadro card circulating the internet.

I think YOU got confused here (not me!) thinking I wanted to flash card.. I was asking if the FX3700 being equivalent to 8800 GT would work in Win98 with the modded drivers. After all this thread IS about Win98. I said ALSO work with Win2k & XP... ALSO matters... read the words.   And despite your "Wow! Think thrice before helping someone." pathetic comment  I have NOT blamed you. I just expressed the confusion between you apparently saying Win98 would work (you were not, you were talking about flashi g!!) and the other poster saying it won't despite the thread saying it will.

I'm a big boy and dont care if I wasted 20 bucks on a hobby. But please, "think thrice" about confusing the issues!

On 4/6/2024 at 6:33 AM, Dixel said:

And what? You supported off-topic no matter am I admin or not.

Edited by SweetLow

3 hours ago, SweetLow said:

And what? You supported off-topic no matter am I admin or not.

Please read the topic title again. See "8". So it's NOT off-topic. And when it is, we have our good admins to handle the situation, Is it clear? Get back to me, if you need any further assistance.

Geforce 6/7 and 8 AGP/PCI-E Driver Edition for Win98/ME by Zak!