nLite 1.0 Final - RC not

nuhi

Because someone might want to only integrate updates and no more.

nLite is more suited for slightly more extensive reconstruction.

Besides, having more than one way to do something is always helpful when squishing bugs...

Keep the thread on-topic, guys.

But the short answer to that question is - why use a dump truck when you've only got a wheelbarrow full of dirt? PM me or start a new thread if you want to discuss it further.

Edited by RyanVM

because... ryanvm pack is NOT related to nlite, and sometimes, nlite was not able to integrate the pack, so it had to be done manually, and, AGAIN, i have to mention, thep ack and nlite are not related, so, ryan might have wanted to have an app of his own to integrate things, and have absolute control over it.

thats what i think.

@Camarade_Tux: maybe we need a new thread--most of my recent builds, real or VM, suffer that weird new error (try right click on netwrok icon and doing a repair--ouch, oops, there it is, predictably). Thing is, I've always removed or disabled the components related to this, yet had no repair problems with errors. Mysteries abound, yet again. Let me know what you find. Thanks.

No need. This is one of my new best friend!

Close Microsoft-DS! :lol:

I was getting mad on components but when I tried a repair on my network adapter I saw this error with WINS and others. I thought "VMWare must be faulty" but this was a non-sense so I checked the tweak page of nlite. I thought this one was not ticked.

On a buggy install, I opened regedit, went to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetBT\Parameters and gave TransportBindName its normal value : "\Device\".

This tweak seems to have been fixed recently. That's why the problem was not present in earlier versions.

Also, this page seems interesting : http://www.petri.co.il/what's_port_445...w2k_xp_2003.htm

(I'm still wondering what to do with Netbios and this is maybe the best page/website I ever found on this topic)

B) Thanks for your connection repair idea. :w00t:

@TUX: good link. I have to say, I grow weary of the long-winded manual solutions soon after I learn them, and know exactly what they're doing: one of the easiest do/undo methods of a lot of these (and related security) settings is to just use the free, executable-only, no-install SafeXP (whcih also works for 2K3, too, I might add)--you can tick the one-page interface of boxes ON/Off at your discretion (as well as make a default backup setting). But it would be nice to be able to use the Repair function without error, yet have all this crap essentially disabled--but I haven't figured out how to do that yet (like we need to be able to provide the function some particular file, or two, for it to operate--yet without having the full functionality up and running, for security reasons...).

OK, back on topic, now...

Edited by nowinscenario

I integrated RyanVM 2.07a using nLite v1.0, selecting the 'remove catalog files' option, yet upon completing the process I find that the SVCPACK folder still contains a large number of .CAT files.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

James

x

"remove cats" option seems to be removed since the last RVMintegrator (BTW v1.3)

as ryanvm already had to repeat a lot of times, that option was added a long time ago, in order to avoid some strange bug due to cat files. it wasn't implemented for space-saving.

now, this option isn't needed anymore, and so he (to be more precise: integrator's authors) chose to remove it. and personally I had stopped crying about 1-2 MB "lost"...

hi!

i think jmbattle was referring to using nLite v1.0 to remove the .CAT files not the RVMintegrator ...

indeed when the check box to remove .CAT file is still there ... strange though that it failed on you ...

incidentally, removing these files may shorten (a bit) your installation time ...

@ jmbattle, you may want to start from a fresh source ... btw, are you using modified/emptied SFC*.dll?

another good application to use for removing .CAT files would be HFSLIP ... there's more to it than just that ... might want to try it :)

Edited by Kiki Burgh

I had understood jmbattle, but just wanted to say that I consider (in my mind) it's better not to play with .cat files

they're so small, so tiny, so sweet, why hunting them?

:whistle: what a nice door ---------------->[]

Edited by OuTmAn

:whistle: what a nice door ---------------->[]
what's this supposed to mean?

pls take no offense in what i posted ... it'd seem to me though that jmbattle's inquiry was about why remove cat file tickbox didn't work for him ... merely suggested other alternatives he could use ... incidentally, bledd suggested to me before to remove .CAT files too so as to prevent T-39 lock-up (an experience that bugged me for a long time)

click advanced, remove cat files ;) + disable windows file protecion in the patches section

its not stuck, just going through the files really slowly!

Edited by Kiki Burgh

Yes, the folks at the RyanVM forum were rather quick to point out that removing .CAT files can cause problems. However, I was led to believe that disabling SFC functionality allowed one to remove these files safely.

My request was for nuhi to implement a separate option to remove these .CAT files even when not integrating hotfixes / RyanVM update packs.

Take care,

James

x