HFSLIP - Test releases

Tomcat76

Here's two things... skinning a cat & the file to put into FIX is sfcfiles.dl_. The FIX files are copied over at the end, overwriting anything that is in the sourcess\i386. The contents of the appreplacement gets fixed with the MODIFYPE.EXE program, is cabbed and then placed into the sourcess\i386 folder.

SFCFILES.DLL should go in APPREPLACEMENT, not in FIX.

Afaik FIX takes already compressed files (SFCFILES.DL_).

Btw, there's a typo here I think: http://www.vorck.com/hfexpert.html

"Example 1 - SysInternal's Process Explorer, Renamed to TSKMGR.EXE"

It should be renamed to tAskmgr.exe. ;)

thanks Camarade_Tux & tommyp! :)

from i gathered though here http://www.vorck.com/hfslip.html, it shows:

Other modified binaries go into D:\HFSLIP\FIX

The contents of the FIX folder will be added to the final folder of source files at the end of the slipstreaming process. If you want to overwrite any files, place the files in the FIX folder. Some possible modified files to place here include sfcos.dl_ or sfcfiles.dl_, or files like winnt.sif. You MUST NOT put a modified SYSOC.IN_ here!

so i placed it in FIX ...

& yes i downloaded compressed SFCFILES.DLL from http://www.vorck.com/data/SFCFILES.DL_

Alternately, instead of hacking SFC_OS.DLL, you can leave it alone and use a version of SFCFILES.DLL that is empty. Download this new SFCFILES.DLL and put it in FIX.
could there be a workaround for this?

as for taskmanager, i renamed procexp.exe to taskmanager.exe as taskmanager.exe is what's present if verified in a regularly non-slipstreamed installed XP ... and then i did not rename procexp.chm anymore but just placed it in HFEXPERT\WIN\system32\procexp.chm ;)

Edited by Kiki Burgh

In the instructions for HFANSWER.INI it states:

Set DELCATS to 0 if you want HFSLIP to silently keep .CAT files when modded SFC*.DLL files are detected.
However if DELCATS is set to 0 then the .CAT files will be deleted as per this line in the SVCPACK subroutine of HFSLIP:
IF DEFINED DELCATS IF EXIST SOURCESS\I386\SVCPACK\*.CAT DEL/Q/F SOURCESS\I386\SVCPACK\*.CAT

hi!

i was just wondering if this "updated" update http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/...n/ms06-025.mspx is already taken cared of in our previous test releases, or even in our final version?

thanks!

EDIT: my apologies ... might have posted this incorrectly ... i'll be posting this concern in 2K/XP/2K3 updates :)

Edited by Kiki Burgh

@TC: Why is the HFSLIP test release published as a .7-zip? It looks like all of your other files, including the final HFSLIP, are standard .zips.

Just for the record... HFSLIP is TommyP's. :)

He wants it in a ZIP so I'm keeping it a ZIP. The test versions are in 7z format to keep the file size down (and ultimately the bandwidth on my server). The test versions of other files used to be in 7-zip format too until I realized that ZIP does better for ultra small files, so they're now distributed as ZIPs.

Sorry, wasn't trying to imply that tommyp didn't still drive this project. :blushing:

I was just curious about the formats since they didn't seem consistent...and I can't install 7-zip on my workstation at work. :no:

I can help out with the hosting if you like. I have way more bandwidth than I know what to do with.

Edited by TAiN

WinRAR can extract 7-zip files and I suppose some other major compression programs can too.

The offer is nice but the frequency at which some versions are released wouldn't make it worth the hassle. I'll use ZIP for the test releases for a while and see how things go.