HFSLIP - Test releases

Tomcat76

@Camarade

Those two folders (and any other irrelevant tag folders) should be removed now when using 718exp1. I'm not sure if this will fix your problem, though. I find it quite a coincidence that Windows setup trips over the exact same file that's also in pconfig. Earlier versions of HFSLIP always removed pconfig so that's what 718exp1 is doing now too. If you still get the installation error, I'll copy pconfig into ASMS.

Installation can not continue:

Maybe (probably) because nlite has an option to recompress ASMS files; I had one bug with that option and this is only an option because it has been reported to sometimes cause bugs

I'm going to try to try (not a mistake ;) ) again, without nlite's ASMS RECOMPRESSION.

Camarade Tux, i also encoutner errors (&/or my installation halted) if ASMS compression is enabled. Leaving it by default does not give the error. :)

Another new version... or actually not. It was made yesterday but I did extensive testing with Windows 2000 first. Windows 2000 (if IE6 is included) will namely benefit from the move to QFE binaries too.

For the record... I did this mainly for myself. There are a few hotfixes for which the QFE files *have* to be used, but I sometimes forget to update HFSLIP when a newer version of that hotfix arrives (eg, the IE Cumulative updates). By using QFE files for *every* hotfix I no longer need to worry about this.

By now, there should be no issues with Windows Update or HfNetChk anymore and no more installation errors either. But please report back if you encounter problems *using* Windows or its programs. I don't foresee any problems but you can never be sure.

I thought of an idea! If Aserone's switchless .net 2 installer is detected in HFSVCPACK, why not copy reg.exe from support.cab to i386, makecab it, and have it copy over to system32 in setup, with adding the entries to dosnet and txtsetup. Of course, this would only be on 2000 as xp and 2003 already have reg.exe in i386.

Opinion?

the_guy

My opinion? It's easy to do it; there's even two ways: I can have it extracted while HFSLIP is running, or have it extracted during Windows setup at T-13 (before .NET 2.0 would be installed).

But I don't know if it would be that useful...

1) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PCHealth doesn't exist on a Win2K box, and I believe no Win2K user experienced problems installing .NET 2.0 so the other reg key isn't important.

2) Windows 2000 has problems executing many programs from a batch file at T-13 if no full path is provided, as is the case with REG.EXE in the batch file inside Aserone's .NET 2.0 installer. One example of a file that will fail is REGEDIT.EXE.

3) What about people who don't want it? Do I make this configurable via HFANSWER.INI?

Edited by Tomcat76

That involves 7-zip or similar program. I've tried this by the way with my MultiCompiler program and it failed. I still didn't have time to figure out why. All I did was do the same as Aserone except that I used an INF for the registry edits (so REG.EXE wouldn't be required).

My opinion? It's easy to do it; there's even two ways: I can have it extracted while HFSLIP is running, or have it extracted during Windows setup at T-13 (before .NET 2.0 would be installed).
hi TC! i think i'd go for the 1st 1: "while HFSLIP is running" for the ff reasons: (1) some apps require that .NET 2.0' already present before they get installed (?) ... & (2) this is nothing serious ;) but the wait time at T-13 makes it appear (for the uninitiated :)) that sys has locked-up
3) What about people who don't want it? Do I make this configurable via HFANSWER.INI?
indeed HFANSWER.INI is very helpful! :)

Does that require hfanswer.ini? If it does, can you make it an option in the cmd file itself?

Also, is there a way to get the 911562 hotfix for MDAC 2.8 SP1 integrated into the install?

the_guy

Does that require hfanswer.ini?
Yes. I thought there might be people who don't want/need it.
If it does, can you make it an option in the cmd file itself?
Not really sure what you mean. But if you prefer to set variables inside the main HFSLIP script directly, that's always been possible. Anything that's inside HFANSWER.INI can be set in the main HFSLIP script directly, but the lines need to be preceded by "SET ".
Also, is there a way to get the 911562 hotfix for MDAC 2.8 SP1 integrated into the install?
Depends on what you mean by "install". Since version 60624 (and some of the test releases before that), HFSLIP integrates the hotfix into the Windows source, meaning that it's going to be installed during the first GUI logon, right after MDAC 2.8 SP1 is installed.

Some time ago, I tried to integrate the hotfix into the MDAC 2.8 SP1 installer directly but it didn't work. The installer silently refused to copy over the binaries that came from the hotfix (even after running modifyPE on them), and the silent installation was always interrupted by an informational dialog message telling me that "some component" was about to be installed. That dialog had two buttons: "OK" and "More info". I abandoned this testing after a few days.

Edited by Tomcat76

I mean integrate the hotfix files into the mdac executable, so the install takes less time.

What I mean by a prompt is have something like the driver compression screen, but it gets bypassed if xp or 2003 is detected as the source. Like, type reg if you want reg.exe put into your source. press enter if you don't.

the_guy