HFSLIP - Test releases

Tomcat76

The latest version of what? HFSLIP?

The latest versions of HFSLIP add a line into HFSLIPWU.INF to satisfy HfNetChk as far as KB839645 for XPSP1 is concerned. Is that line with "ProtocolDefaults" present? If not, do you have the proper CD tags in your SOURCE folder?

KB914798 is installed during SVCPACK (HFSLIP doesn't integrate it or even open it). I could add in the registry line you need but it will be overwritten when the hotfix installs itself so it's pointless.

hi!

have 1 question: would it be possible to have an unattended or totally automated HFSLIPping? ;)

like double-clicking on the cmd file would already start with slipstreaming ... like no more prompts ... like HFANSWER.inf takes care of everything when valueas have already been set? ;)

i understand though that we have to ensure that directions need to read & followed by users.

thanks!

Strictly speaking, it was possible to make HFSLIP completely unattended ever since HFANSWER.INI was introduced. You need to preset every variable present in that file for which you normally get a prompt, plus add two more variables. I'm not mentioning these variables and I'd prefer them not to be actively discussed here for these reasons:

- people need to know what the implications are of using HFSLIP

- if you forget to set some variables HFSLIP might fail without you knowing it

- it's bad for troubleshooting problems

thanks Tomcat! :)

have successfully created a new build once again ...

for the peeps who have been using HFSLIP for quite sometime, it's just truly fine to go through the process (& we could always go the source & read some stuff there ;)) ...

i'm just thinking we could get past the the following introduction quicker:

After reading the above disclaimer and GPL License.....

Press any key to continue . . .

HFSLIP IS TO BE USED FOR CD INSTALLATIONS

SOURCE - Dump your installation CD source here

Slipstream means NO NEED FOR OEM FOLDER.

Learn more about the HFCLEANUP folder...

*Reduce your source, an NLITE alternative <Do it at your own risk>

WindowsUpdate questions without the WU.TXT file attached will be ignored.

Type in the words I HAVE READ THE INSTRUCTIONS affirming you have read them.

I HAVE READ THE INSTRUCTIONS

the introduction of HFANSWER.ini is truly great ... it is like having WINNT.sif (pardon the comparison if it seems a bit misplaced :lol: )

but then again, please know i completely understand the rationale for making users aware of the implications of using HFSLIP :yes:

many thanks!

btw, i was kind of anxious a while back to get to the forums but there was a database error of sort ... it got me really worried :no: ... but it was a relief to have read from the main page the post of Alanoll

Edited by Kiki Burgh

@Camarade_Tux...

60621a also adds a reg hack for KB916281. If neither this hack nor the one for KB839645 work, I'll remove them.

Personally, I doubt the KB916281 hack will work. HFSLIP sets the value to "2", but then the hotfix does this:

"%windir%\system32\reg.exe add ""HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Updates\Windows XP\SP2\KB914798"" /v Installed /t REG_DWORD /d 00000001 /f"

This is obviously a MS/HfNetChk screwup. They both want something else.

@Camarade_Tux...

60621a also adds a reg hack for KB916281. If neither this hack nor the one for KB839645 work, I'll remove them.

Personally, I doubt the KB916281 hack will work. HFSLIP sets the value to "2", but then the hotfix does this:

"%windir%\system32\reg.exe add ""HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Updates\Windows XP\SP2\KB914798"" /v Installed /t REG_DWORD /d 00000001 /f"

This is obviously a MS/HfNetChk screwup. They both want something else.

I'll try asap, but my test machine with VMWare just walked away. :}

hi!

i did about 2 ISOs & installed these rightafer ... here's what i found out using 60621a:

(1) WORK directory is not being deleted after the entire process ends ...

(2) at T-13 installation was interrupted by these errors (RC installation) ... please see attached screenshots

(3) it was the 1st time i saw XPize (XPizev44Full.exe) being slipstreamed ... (as i do not recall seeing this portion ever in all my previous builds & installs) ... it gave out the message it was being slipstreamed, then followed by success ... BUT showed something like File Not Founding ... my apologies if i wasn't able to copy & paste that exact portion of slipstreaming ... i was too sleepy to have thought about copy & paste :( i have XPIZESW=/S /notask in HFANSWER.ini

i continued on 2x & finished the installation & everything seemed normal except that RC was not present anymore & no program group was present any longer for Xpize ... i think though that it installed ... or slipstreamed rather ... as the normal XP screens are not present (& it's not present in Add/Remove Programs) ... even tried to copy files to see if it'd be the same if XPize were installed correctly (yes it did like how XPize would --- animated icons when copying/pasting) ... so i guess there's nothing wrong with the last 1 ... it's just weird ...

the only things i did different this time were:

(1) added WindowsXP-KB319740-v5-x86-ENU.exe to HF

(2) added the following in HFAAO:

a. [savefile]060617203355_wga_tray_remover_Addon.cab

b. td_notepadplus_launcher_addon.cab

c. Kels_UniversalSilentSwitchFinder_addon_v1.CAB

(3) use the other 2 unrevealed variables with its default values ;)

btw, my HFSLIP run time went up to: 33m57s ... :(

thanks!

post-84520-1150996838_thumb.jpg

post-84520-1150996848_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kiki Burgh

use the other 2 unrevealed variables with its default values
One of these 'unrevealed' variables (if I am correct about the two that you are using) causes the WORK directory to remain.

I prefer not to say which one because Tomcat does not want us to discuss it, but if I am right about the variables, you should be able to figure it out.

Edited by Super-Magician

@Tomcat, quick question: What exactly is the purpose of setting the variable 'BBIN' in the MAKEISO section (as in the following line)? The usage seems inconsistent because you switch between BOOT.BIN and %BBIN%.

FOR /F %%I IN ('DIR/B HFTOOLS\BOOT.BIN') DO SET BBIN=%%I
Plus, wouldn't it make more sense to do just SET BBIN=BOOT.INI in this line if you leave the variable?

Just wondering...;)

The work directory was not deleted in certain cases is because it came in handy when developing hfslip. Sometimes I had to see what was happening in the work directories. I guess you are playing with another variable in the INI file. You probably want to not include that variable in there.