[How-to] - Windows XP Gamer's Edition

Aegis

Are you programming it by yourself (writing your own proggys in C or something like that)?

What type of address is in that format? I've never seen something like that...

Could it be some kind of hex-code, because there isn't anything higher than "f"?

GreetZZ 3-R4Z0R

You're right that it's caused by IPv6, since Teredo was the codename for the project at Microsoft. The problem is that I've removed all IPv6 components, files and registry data, so that wouldn't make sense. And for the first ethernet connection, you see two IP addresses. I'm assuming the one with zeros is the IPv4 address, so something's not working with that either. Couldn't ping my router, but I was able to ping localhost, meaning that the TCP/IP implementation is fully functioning.

Couldn't ping my router, but I was able to ping localhost, meaning that the TCP/IP implementation is fully functioning.

Not quite right I believe, traffic destined for locally bound addresses do not go all the way to the bottom of the TCP/IP stack - this would be a waste of CPU time.

0.0.0.0 is the IPv4 address a system gets if APIPA addressing is disabled, the client is set to get its address via DHCP and is unable to get one.

But why would it not be able to get an address? DHCP client is enabled, which is the only thing that it needs...

I don't know how you got it to this state- if you were starting from the full OS and removing components then it would be obvious whatever you did to break it.

If you are starting from "nothing" and only adding in what you think is required then it's a lot more of a challenge.

One thing to note is that this appears as "Local Area Connection 2", which often implies another entry is in the registry using this driver but the system does not see it connected at present (badly coded PnP drivers can cause this, or moving a USB device to another port after configuring it).

DHCP Client is only a service, a working and connected NIC, with TCP/IP bound and functional are prerequisites for this do be able to do anything at all.

You'd need to look at event log entries and maybe take a network trace when the machine boots up or "ipconfig /renew" is executed to see what is failing or if anything is actually hitting the wire.

Wow, this looks really promising. Can't wait till it's done. What I really would like is to see 3DMark05 on vanilla win xp pro vs win GE. How about RAID 0 support? Will that be a problem? Loading times are so much better with it I'd hate to go back. Keep up the good work Aegis.

It would be suicidal to not include RAID 0 support, especially with my new 74GB Raptors :D.

I can't say if it will improve your 3DMark score, since 3DMark benchmarks your graphics card primarily, and nothing about the OS affects that besides the driver. What you will notice are lower pings, faster game loading, faster startup, less memory usage, and an easier to maintain OS, so don't expect miracles with this OS. You can tweak Windows as much as you want, but if you want a higher score in 3D benchmarks, the only thing that will help is improving/overclocking the hardware itself.

Hello Aegis :hello: ,

I just want to hear your opinions on the set up i have in my mind.

A stripped out windows XP with support for games and

ONE other program.

Microsoft Virtual PC 2003 or VMware virtual os thingy.

You see i want an optimal system for games,

BUT when i want to surf the net or download programs i'll

load up VPC2003 and wreck a virtual windows that can

be restored very quickly.

I know for a fact installing trial software tools + internet, completely screws an os.

Thus seperate the two and while im at it, create a far better restore point! :thumbup

Would it be possible for you to help me use your install settings

and modify them just for games and VPC2003.

Wireless network adapter is needed. :}

You can of course point me in the right direction too and i'll try to make annother project. :no:

But i am so crap with organising my time.

Well i think we should get a basic setup of a stripped out winxp for games and later we could add

other things to winxp gamers.

If everyone keeps asking for request's it will be month's before we could all get to test it and

im sure we are all eager to get our hands on it as soon as possible.

My thinking is to let aegis do his magic and let's all test as soon as possible.

:thumbup