Opera vs Firefox

matthewk

Firefox will always be the best browser in the galaxy :lol:

I really wish people wouldn't express their personal opinions as if they were facts... but that's just me. :whistle:

whatever....

btw why are topics like are even created :whistle: there are just useless... if yu want to know what is the best browser for yu - just test it yourself....

Why the hell have I subscribed to this topic ?

I'm really busy with scholl now (and this will continue during 2 or 3 years) but guys, stop!

Does anybody try to understand what the other is saying ? :huh:

IE is the most secure browser.

All you have to do is remove support for ActiveX, java, javascript, vbs, set security zones and everything else.

Come on, you can't say something is more secure than something else when it comes to this level : one day Opera/FF is more secure, then a flaw is discovered in Opera/FF and FF/Opera gets more secure until a flaw is dicovered in it.

And it's also a matter of settings.

Now, about memory usage, reproductible benchmarks and tests ?

Last time I benchmarked windows installations in VMWare, I tried each set at least 2 times, stopped everything else on the computer, wait before running ProcessExplorer and lots of other small things.

One of the point is I didn't use windows's task manager to measure system usage. When benchmarking, think about this.

Extensions and in-place functionnalities ?

An extension will certainly take more resources than an in-place functionnality (for the same or nearly the same code),... it's impossible to avoid.

But then, sometimes you won't get the feature you want and you'll use an extension.

And WTF is wrong with that ??

You need developpers to get a software to work. You can't do everything, you have to do choices. Moreover it depends on what you want to get in the end.

And one thing : FF is by essence more customizable. Open-source just makes there's nothing you can change. Sorry Jeremy.

And one last thing : Being more customizable does not mean it is easier to customize. Does anybody enjoye digging through thousands and thousands of extensions ? Sorry crahak.

I'm really under the impression many people are 13 here (@Cygnus and TD, :whistle: ).

PS: who's gonna start the "I'm adult enough to discuss seriously about topics" war now ?

PS2:

Good lord... Memory usage this, memory usage that... Why do people with 2GB of RAM complain when a program uses 50MB?

NT -> moves pages from RAM to swap even with 1GB of unused ram -> much slower when trying to access these pieces of data. But still fast enough, don't misunderstand me (maxthon nmay have 50MB of used memory, there's still 350MB of paged data!).

When comparing XP with 2k, people did not think "hey, my computer does not have enough ram", but instead started wondering what the hell MS developpers had done with this OS.

However, this is getting incredible here. As a part-part-part-part-part-part-time developper, I know that mem usage can grow very quickly when you a GUI (having the possibility to move a bar from top to bottom of the window for example!)

I'm sure some people here are comparing usage on 32bits systems with usage on 64bits/32Bits with PAE, without knowing what it implies!

if 5 people who you had respect for told you the same thing, would it not be drilled into your head?

Changes nothing whatsoever. Don't accuse others of what you're guilty of... Being convinced by others changes nothing. I mean, who cares if someone convinced maniaq that it was true too? Would that make him right or justify saying that? Nope, and same to you (except he doesn't accuse others of being unobjective while being heavily biased himself...)

If you've even read any of my posts throughout my time here on MSFN, you'd know that if there is anyone to preach about people having different needs, it's me. But, I meant that if there are 1000s of extensions, isn't that a bit excessive for what an Internet Browser? Like, what are you looking for in a browser with that many extensions? You want it to make you a sandwich (I've been requesting this for years, btw ;)) and tuck you in, tell you how cold it is outside and what Google stocks are, or what?

Bottom line, 1000s for a web browser does seem excessive.

Why more options and possibilities would be excessive? That's like saying the liquor store should only carry 10 different bottles of wine (instead of hundreds), because having choice is bad. Or only 3 different shows on TV, because there are thousands right now, so that's surely a bad thing too. Or only different 10 music CDs at HVM... But how is the total count of extensions relevant anyhow? The point is, there is an extension for anything you want or need badly, that often can't be found for any other browser, Opera included. Hey, if there was a plugin that made sandwiches, I'd download it right now, and I do like my forecastfox enhanced plugin to tell me how warm it is outside :P Choice is good. You pick whatever you want, and get amazing features you wouldn't have were you using anything else. That's what it comes down to. No one cares about the actual extension count.

In regards to old systems being a minority, maybe everyone in your area has a 10 pound heatsink and SLI, but there are a lot of people out there with old systems.

Right. I don't know any single person with a SLI setup. Not even one. No monster rigs either. I bought a Athlon64 3500+ w/ 1GB RAM, 200GB HD, DVD writer and XP MCE 2005 last week for 380$ (@ tigerdirect), so people that still have sub-500MHz (WW2-era) PCs... There's almost no excuse. BTW, Firefox runs just fine on my dad's old P3 866.

Edit - Actually iirc, I heard some people saying they got spyware with Firefox and I've never heard of this happening with Opera.

Likely it's from another source. I've NEVER seen this happen, EVER, or seen reports of it showing such things have in fact hapenned (not just some n00b on a forum not knowing where it came from, right after he installed kazaa or whatever, then blaming firefox from not saving him somehow)

Mind you, I doubt anything good's gonna come out of this thread. It's more like "the battle of the fanboys" - it's almost worst than the Vista thread...

Mind you, I doubt anything good's gonna come out of this thread. It's more like "the battle of the fanboys" - it's almost worst than the Vista thread...

You doubted correctly. I'm finished in this thread. You win or whatever. Congrats. It's friday, I'm trying to maintain a good mood for the weekend, I have no desire to keep this crap going. Cheers.

You have the statistical info in those screenshots I provided. If you want your browser to make sandwiches, get Firefox. if you want to use Mouse gestures without downloading an extension, get Opera.

As Crahak stated, it's your choice to make.

Firefox Rules!

Edited by Jeremy

[edit in response to jeremy's edit in the above post] i think you need to read about what MemUsage actually is, I've said it 3 times in this thread alone.

Well, if you want everyone to see that, than create the screenshots yourself and post them...

Just tried ZXian hosting in Maxthon and it works perfectly. :D

and_memory_usage_dropped_thumb.png

And I ticked one box in Maxthon options (under advanced, this is the last one "free memory regularly").

and_memory_usage_dropped_proof_thumb.png

Maxthon was in task bar but even without this, mem usage was down to 5MB.

edit : mem usage is "Util mémoire", VM Size is "Taille VM".

Edited by Camarade_Tux

Why the hell have I subscribed to this topic ?

I'm really busy with scholl now (and this will continue during 2 or 3 years) but guys, stop!

Does anybody try to understand what the other is saying ? :huh:

IE is the most secure browser.

All you have to do is remove support for ActiveX, java, javascript, vbs, set security zones and everything else.

Come on, you can't say something is more secure than something else when it comes to this level : one day Opera/FF is more secure, then a flaw is discovered in Opera/FF and FF/Opera gets more secure until a flaw is dicovered in it.

And it's also a matter of settings.

Now, about memory usage, reproductible benchmarks and tests ?

Last time I benchmarked windows installations in VMWare, I tried each set at least 2 times, stopped everything else on the computer, wait before running ProcessExplorer and lots of other small things.

One of the point is I didn't use windows's task manager to measure system usage. When benchmarking, think about this.

Extensions and in-place functionnalities ?

An extension will certainly take more resources than an in-place functionnality (for the same or nearly the same code),... it's impossible to avoid.

But then, sometimes you won't get the feature you want and you'll use an extension.

And WTF is wrong with that ??

You need developpers to get a software to work. You can't do everything, you have to do choices. Moreover it depends on what you want to get in the end.

And one thing : FF is by essence more customizable. Open-source just makes there's nothing you can change. Sorry Jeremy.

And one last thing : Being more customizable does not mean it is easier to customize. Does anybody enjoye digging through thousands and thousands of extensions ? Sorry crahak.

I'm really under the impression many people are 13 here (@Cygnus and TD, :whistle: ).

PS: who's gonna start the "I'm adult enough to discuss seriously about topics" war now ?

PS2:

Good lord... Memory usage this, memory usage that... Why do people with 2GB of RAM complain when a program uses 50MB?

NT -> moves pages from RAM to swap even with 1GB of unused ram -> much slower when trying to access these pieces of data. But still fast enough, don't misunderstand me (maxthon nmay have 50MB of used memory, there's still 350MB of paged data!).

When comparing XP with 2k, people did not think "hey, my computer does not have enough ram", but instead started wondering what the hell MS developpers had done with this OS.

However, this is getting incredible here. As a part-part-part-part-part-part-time developper, I know that mem usage can grow very quickly when you a GUI (having the possibility to move a bar from top to bottom of the window for example!)

I'm sure some people here are comparing usage on 32bits systems with usage on 64bits/32Bits with PAE, without knowing what it implies!

nice post mate, its so futile, these topics... everybody uses the browser he can do the most with, and has things he wants in a browser.

maxton+IE, great

opera, great

firefox, great <-- i use this coss of the nice favorite bar, not that firefox is better, its just suited for ME

and all 3 are fast, if a warm start of ur browser takes 5sec, is slow, if its 3 or less, its fast... who cares about the 1.8 or the 2.4sec :/ and memmory usage, with 500mb who gives a ***** if it uses 70mb or 120mb :/

but fridge i do a lot of 3d modelling, i need ram

yeh but u got 1gig of ram

oh yeh thats true

I'm really under the impression many people are 13 here (@Cygnus and TD, :whistle: )
not true for me, im 16.
nice post mate, its so futile, these topics... everybody uses the browser he can do the most with, and has things he wants in a browser.

maxton+IE, great

opera, great

firefox, great <-- i use this coss of the nice favorite bar, not that firefox is better, its just suited for ME

and all 3 are fast, if a warm start of ur browser takes 5sec, is slow, if its 3 or less, its fast... who cares about the 1.8 or the 2.4sec :/ and memmory usage, with 500mb who gives a ***** if it uses 70mb or 120mb :/

but fridge i do a lot of 3d modelling, i need ram

yeh but u got 1gig of ram

oh yeh thats true

i agree with Fridge-RaideR. he has the right idea. everyone uses the browser they like/prefer. i for one, like using Opera. firefox is great for my desktop, opera is great for my laptop. simply put. no need for in-depth info on it.

im unsubscribing from this thread because im tired of software/forum based wars on what stuff is better.

I like Opera more; looks, feeling, speed (and who cares if it slower :).

I´m sure some one told here that they do the same things if you tell them too ;), don´t we love these topic wars, let´s start AMD AM2 vs iNTEL S775 Core2Duo again :lol:.

:wub:

I like Opera more; looks, feeling, speed (and who cares if it slower :).

I´m sure some one told here that they do the same things if you tell them too ;), don´t we love these topic wars, let´s start AMD AM2 vs iNTEL S775 Core2Duo again :lol:.

:wub:

lets do it! lol. i want a c2d so much :}

OMG im sick of this topic will we let it die alredy?

IE will alwas be Number 1

Firefox will most likely be Number 2 for a long, long, time.

And Opera although faster and uses less memory "it is a day late and a dollar short"

It took them too long to remove the adds from their browser, giving firefox the headstart... IMHO

I wish Opera good luck in trying to catch up to the Fox, I really mean it its a good browser.

RIP :angel Opera vs Firefox thread :lol:

Edited by ricktendo64

Yeah, I agree. I shouldn't have updated this goddamn thing in the first place, I take full responsibility for the annoyance being the fact that this thread even exists. Die thread, die. I simply don't give a s*** anymore.