Opera vs Firefox

matthewk

someone wrote, -

but the main deal about firefox is that it users extentions. -

if opera gets thome - it would be way better than firefox,

well this is un true... - because the only advantage of opera vs firefox is that opera is faster.

any smartass opera fanboy telling diferent should have been more willing to look into firefox's extention library ...

and yes. extentions WILL make your browser a bit slower, maybe even more than just a bit. if you dont nead advanced or truely customizing of your brower use opera, (hell i recomand it to many newbe-pc users).

its all about what you choose, - do you spend you credits on speed, or on flexebility..

opera is NOT better, Nor is it worse ... any moron that doesn't understand that this is FACT shouldn't even begin to speak about this in the first place....

/me sighs, pfew. how harsh do you nead to be to make a statement about useless crap of wich of 2 (apels and lemons) makes a better grape-juice.

Firefox will always be the best browser in the galaxy :lol:

I really wish people wouldn't express their personal opinions as if they were facts... but that's just me. :whistle:

so true, that bugs me when people do that.

the original question is really left up to the end user. use what you want, but there is truth to what a lot of people are saying. FireFox is slower than Opera. not that its slower internet wise, i mean slower computer wise. it uses between 20 and 100mb of ram on my laptop. thats a bit much for a web broser. IE only uses 4 or 5.

im still in the process of testing Opera, but so far, its a lot better, only pushing 30mb when iv been browsing a lot and i have 2 windows open.

it uses between 20 and 100mb of ram on my laptop. thats a bit much for a web broser.

Then don't use opera either? (about 20 tabs open and a single download going, not quite what I'd call "heavy use" or anything.)

operasg7.th.png

That's more than 100MB of RAM too. (Download finished, restarted it "clean", it's still over 100MB)

Nice notice on imageshack too (and I thought I was losing my mind as it just didn't work, yet it works perfect with every other browser):

ATTENTION! OPERA 9.00 USERS!!!

There is a known bug that prevents you from uploading to ImageShack!

@-I-: Very good points, that pretty much sums it up.

Edited by crahak

well, what can i say? everyone has their own tastes.

oh, heres some stuff that i did just now. im surprised, opera is using less resources than before now O_o

opera and firefox at startup:

th_taskman-1.jpg

opera and firefox with 4 tabs open:

th_msfn.jpg

dont get me wrong, i like firefox and opera, but i will use opera on my older computers. thats all. i use firefox on my desktop :D

Edited by Cygnus

ATTENTION! OPERA 9.00 USERS!!!

There is a known bug that prevents you from uploading to ImageShack!

o_O???

I'm using v9.01.8552 (latest) and I upload to ImageShack almost daily...

@-I-,

Excellent post there. That essentially sums up the thread, along with the statistical info I provided with the comparison of the two.

Edited by Jeremy

I like the two browsers, but Firefox is my favorite because it have thousands of extensions that can do anything, but I don't like when use "70 mb of memory", in that moment I prefer Opera that is a little faster (I think) that Firefox. :)

Well, there's a line between the extensions that are truly useful and ones that are utterly retarded. Also, extensions that do essentially the same thing but in different ways. Someone will always dislike a particular extension, create their own one for that exact purpose and throw it out onto the net.

Like its been said many times, particularly from -I-, you either want lots of extra custom functionality, or you want everything out of the box. I'm an out-of-the-box person, and I prefer security and customizability and Opera does that better than Firefox.

Good lord... Memory usage this, memory usage that... Why do people with 2GB of RAM complain when a program uses 50MB? If you're sitting at the computer, browsing the web, chatting on MSN, who cares if your browser stores some old pages in RAM? Unused RAM is wasted RAM.

I think my main problem with FF is the fact that extensions are not easy for the average user to learn about and use. When a user asks you "How do I do *this*?", which is easier for them? Tell them to install an extension (which might bring up the question "what is an extension?"), and then configure the options? It's not a very easy thing for most people to pick up.

Once you do learn how they work, they're great, and you can customize your settings and preferences to your heart's delight - there's just a relatively steep learning curve to get to know how to use them.

I really wish people wouldn't express their personal opinions as if they were facts... but that's just me. :whistle:

Yet, you have no problems expressing your personnal opinion about Opera being inherently more secure than Firefox as a fact (hint: it's NOT).

As for customizability, that's actually one thing I despise about Opera - it hardly has any compared to Firefox - it doesn't even compare. With Opera you've got a handful of options under "settings" or such. Under firefox, look under about:config and it's ALL there, and there are extensions to tweak even more things (be it the tabs, the download windows, etc) which you can modify yourself, or even create your own.

And while there may be some pointless extensions (and pointless to you might still be useful for somebody else - not everyone has the same needs), there are countless VERY useful ones, that have no equivalant (or poor imitations) on the Opera side. I haven't really seen anyone have problems with extensions so far (with the exception of not understanding mouse gestures - which doesn't matter if it was thru an extension or built-in, it's the concept they didn't grasp. That and some people not understanding tabs much seemingly.) Saying it's a steep curve sounds like a ridiculously biased opinion to me (I have yet to see someone have issues like you mention with extensions - it's no worse than plugins for any app or such)

Opera uses a bit less RAM, a bit like Zxian said... Perhaps it does matter on very old systems (a minority), but pretty much all browsers work just fine on average PCs.

Opera is a bit faster, but Firefox is way more customizable/extendable.

Yet, you have no problems expressing your personnal opinion about Opera being inherently more secure than Firefox as a fact (hint: it's NOT).

As for customizability, that's actually one thing I despise about Opera - it hardly has any compared to Firefox - it doesn't even compare. With Opera you've got a handful of options under "settings" or such. Under firefox, look under about:config and it's ALL there, and there are extensions to tweak even more things (be it the tabs, the download windows, etc) which you can modify yourself, or even create your own.

And while there may be some pointless extensions (and pointless to you might still be useful for somebody else - not everyone has the same needs), there are countless VERY useful ones, that have no equivalant (or poor imitations) on the Opera side. I haven't really seen anyone have problems with extensions so far (with the exception of not understanding mouse gestures - which doesn't matter if it was thru an extension or built-in, it's the concept they didn't grasp. That and some people not understanding tabs much seemingly.) Saying it's a steep curve sounds like a ridiculously biased opinion to me (I have yet to see someone have issues like you mention with extensions - it's no worse than plugins for any app or such)

Opera uses a bit less RAM, a bit like Zxian said... Perhaps it does matter on very old systems (a minority), but pretty much all browsers work just fine on average PCs.

Opera is a bit faster, but Firefox is way more customizable/extendable.

*sigh* One of these again...

Ok, fine, I do not know for a 100% certain fact that Opera is more secure than Firefox, it is just something I have heard from numerous people who I have great respect for. if 5 people who you had respect for told you the same thing, would it not be drilled into your head?

If you've even read any of my posts throughout my time here on MSFN, you'd know that if there is anyone to preach about people having different needs, it's me. But, I meant that if there are 1000s of extensions, isn't that a bit excessive for what an Internet Browser? Like, what are you looking for in a browser with that many extensions? You want it to make you a sandwich (I've been requesting this for years, btw ;)) and tuck you in, tell you how cold it is outside and what Google stocks are, or what?

Bottom line, 1000s for a web browser does seem excessive.

Uhm, as for customizability, uhm, have you ever seen the Opera Wiki?

In regards to old systems being a minority, maybe everyone in your area has a 10 pound heatsink and SLI, but there are a lot of people out there with old systems.

Edit - Actually iirc, I heard some people saying they got spyware with Firefox and I've never heard of this happening with Opera.

Edited by Jeremy