Best spyware blocker

What do yuo say is the best Anti Spyware Program?  

589 members have voted

1. 1. What do yuo say is the best Anti Spyware Program?

• Yahoo's Tool Bar
    • Microsoft's Beta
    • Spysweeper, Webroot
    • SpywareBlaster
    • Ad-aware
    • CounterSpy
    • Aluria SE
    • McAfee AS
    • Norton
    • Pest Patrol
    • SpySubtract
    • SW Doctor
    • X-Cleaner
    • OTHER

I voted "other" - I believe that common sense and being careful online are the best spyware blockers.

For everyone else, Webroot's SpySweeper is incredibly effective at keeping a clean machine that way - for already infected machines, however, a combination of MS AntiSpyware, Spybot S&D, HijackThis, Process Explorer, Autoruns, and AdAware have always done the trick (and SpySweeper goes on the box RIGHT after it's clean).

I use Windows XP SP2 Internet Explorer Popup Blocker on High. I also set the amount of space for Temporary Internet Files to 1MB and then set "Store Web Pages" to None.

I try to fair away from 3rd-party software when it comes to the internet. IE is great. I don't like the way Firefox displays everything on the pages.

I have used this method ever since SP2 came out with the popup blocker. Most effective and reliable method I believe.

I have only gotten like one piece of spyware that was sitting in my Temp folder, but it was not even run yet. I even go on Crack sites that are filled with poppups and hidden dialers. Never caught any with this method.

-JASpurrier3

Spybot is good except for that crazy visual error they won't fix.

Are you refering to the GUI bug in the TeaTimer app?

If you are please prv msg me with your email address and I will send you the fix.

Very strange that 5 voted for PestPatrol.

In my experience, they're the *worst* anti-spyware I've ever seen. Too many false positives. They even list packers as spyware? Look here:

http://www.pestpatrol.com/spywarecenter/br...aspx?cat=Packer

Some of those I know for sure are NOT spyware!

More than 1/2 of what they list in their "spyware encyclopedia" is NOT spyware at all.

I'm totally amazed that in a tech forum,,,,there is so much Miss-Information.

The title of the poll is "Best Spyware Blocker".

In the first place, many of the titles in the poll are NOT even Spyware Blockers.

AdAware for instance, blocks nothing....absolutely nothing. It's a find'em and kill'em program.

Some of the programs have nothing to do with spyware at all.

Norton for instance.....the last time I checked it was a mediocre to very poor Anti-Virus program. Again NOTHING to do with Spyware. Heck, it doesn't even block viruses....it's too busy loading down the PC and trying to micro manage it and of course protect the Recycle Bin. :lol:

OK, so we need blockers. Spybot S&D, if kept up to date and the user doesn't forget to use the Immunization button after getting a download, is a pretty good blocker. But, proper setup and daily updates are required. Or, it quickly becomes Worthless.

SpywareBlaster is a totally dedicated "Blocker".....that's its only function in life.....IT BLOCKS,,,,but, it will NOT find and remove anything.

One of the best blockers going is a custom HOSTS file.....now how many of you even know what that is,,,or use one....or keep it up to date? The average user hasn't a clue..... :whistle:

I've questioned many tech's who don't even know what a custom hosts file is.

If someone is going to start a poll, in a technical forum, they really should get their ducks in a row.

I'm disappointed,,,,,,,,

Cheers Mates

I've always found SpywareBlaster a good preventative tool against Spyware.

As for scanning, I've never had a problem that Ad-Aware, Spybot, and CWSShredder couldn't fix.

I use the same set of tools plus MS antispy for real time control, never ad any problem with spyware since adopted

I'm totally amazed that in a tech forum,,,,there is so much Miss-Information.

The title of the poll is "Best Spyware Blocker".

In the first place, many of the titles in the poll are NOT even Spyware Blockers.

AdAware for instance, blocks nothing....absolutely nothing. It's a find'em and kill'em program.

Some of the programs have nothing to do with spyware at all.

Norton for instance.....the last time I checked it was a mediocre to very poor Anti-Virus program. Again NOTHING to do with Spyware. Heck, it doesn't even block viruses....it's too busy loading down the PC and trying to micro manage it and of course protect the Recycle Bin. :lol:

OK, so we need blockers. Spybot S&D, if kept up to date and the user doesn't forget to use the Immunization button after getting a download, is a pretty good blocker. But, proper setup and daily updates are required. Or, it quickly becomes Worthless.

SpywareBlaster is a totally dedicated "Blocker".....that's its only function in life.....IT BLOCKS,,,,but, it will NOT find and remove anything.

One of the best blockers going is a custom HOSTS file.....now how many of you even know what that is,,,or use one....or keep it up to date? The average user hasn't a clue..... :whistle:

I've questioned many tech's who don't even know what a custom hosts file is.

If someone is going to start a poll, in a technical forum, they really should get their ducks in a row.

I'm disappointed,,,,,,,,

Cheers Mates

Miss-iformation...... it seems you are falling on the same fault after all :whistle:

Ad-aware blocks everything it can, but only if you have the pro version with the Ad-Watch module, I think you never tryied it...

Norton, poor? Not so much after all. Bloated, for sure. Antispy, yes it is, it has an additional module since the 2005 second edition (antispyware edition)

spyware blaster BLOCKS so it is perfectly legit here, as the poll is for BLOCKERS, not for only findng or removing that stuff

Spybot has many more functions you seem to know, first a double blocking module, one integrated in iexplorer, and the second as a real time check program, simple but effective; then it can handle the autostart programs, immunize your computer, using restricted site lists, it can compile automaticly your precious custom host files (actually only one with everything to block inside....) and it needs no work at all because you can simply check some radio buttons and it will keep itself updated and self check your computer at will.

you can even use peerguardian to block spyware, simply activating the browser block and loading the spyware list....... so there was some miss information on your side too mate........

by the way custom host files are not absolutely safe/working and they slow down a bit browsing experience, as they have to be checked again and again for every page you visit......

have a nice day you all

Edited by mtvento

• 2 weeks later...