Best spyware blocker

What do yuo say is the best Anti Spyware Program?  

589 members have voted

1. 1. What do yuo say is the best Anti Spyware Program?

• Yahoo's Tool Bar
    • Microsoft's Beta
    • Spysweeper, Webroot
    • SpywareBlaster
    • Ad-aware
    • CounterSpy
    • Aluria SE
    • McAfee AS
    • Norton
    • Pest Patrol
    • SpySubtract
    • SW Doctor
    • X-Cleaner
    • OTHER

How did that quote go? "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". I think the same goes for this. Spyware starts up with Windows, usually by sneaky methods, so why not just disable all registry startup paths? I've done this and all of my occasional scans never detected a bit of spyware.

SpyBot works for me, well after running for the first time and removing spyware (well cookies) its never picked up anything else.

Maybe PC protected ok :D Maybe SpyBot Rubbish :(

Who knows..........

I am using IE6SP2 lockdowns + prevention pack + MS AntiSpyware beta and I am really satisfied.

so why not just disable all registry startup paths? I've done this and all of my occasional scans never detected a bit of spyware.

interested in both these methods can someone give details

Disabling startup paths - usually through removing ACL. It is quite good method, however not in corporate environment :(

IE6SP2 lockdowns means installed XP SP2 with tons of security enhancements - LocalMachine Lockdown, Windows Restrictions etc.

Prevention pack - autoupdate for killbits + restricted sites. I posted the scripts here before.

Disabling startup paths - usually through removing ACL. It is quite good method, however not in corporate environment :(

IE6SP2 lockdowns means installed XP SP2 with tons of security enhancements - LocalMachine Lockdown, Windows Restrictions etc.

Prevention pack - autoupdate for killbits + restricted sites. I posted the scripts here before.

No, I mean actually removing the registry data from the corresponding system file.

I've always found SpywareBlaster a good preventative tool against Spyware.

As for scanning, I've never had a problem that Ad-Aware, Spybot, and CWSShredder couldn't fix.

counterspy or MS beta is the BEST for the speed and detection. Webroot is also good but not FAST.

btw, counterspy and MS beta use the same engine because MS bought a company who licenses counterspy company.

i use firefox and never get spyware. indeed an once of prevention is worth a pound of cure. And i know people are going to say its a matter of time before people start getting spyware while browsing with firefox, i disagree. You could disable allow websites to install software, and/or go beyond that and use the noscript extension. for people that use IE, use maxthon instead.

Agreed msfn11 about IE7...though I dont think it will be a HUGE improvement...just some added features...thats my guess. Like RSS and tabbed browsing. Big whup!

I agree Spybot is a great program and so is Spyware Doctor and so it seems the MS spyware program. Its got a great interface as well. Typical MS design...great easy to use interface. I just hope we wont have to soon pay a subscription fee to be able to get updates and so on for it.