Guide: Mozilla Firefox Unattended

SiMoNsAyS

I think what fluid is looking for is how to change the install location for Firefox... not actually how to change the location of Program Files.

To do this all you need to do is extract Simonsays installer, open config.ini and change the line:

Path=[PROGRAMFILESDIR]\Mozilla Firefox

to whereever you want to install it to.. for example I have mine install to 'C:\Internet\Mozilla Firefox'

Youll also want to make sure you edit the 'Setup\setup.cmd' file to reflect the change in location.

Once its all said and done.. repackage it and you should be good to go.

Hope this helps!

Thanks durex. My scenario was my Program Files was in C: yet I manually change to I: whenever I install programs. Now I am researching on how to change it so that I don't have to change it manually.

what is silent_firefox.zip for? do i need it if just want a default install silently.. can't i just run the 1.0.1 exe file? i've gotten an error just trying to install in on my machine twice now. says "currupt files anyone know?

Thanks

I have tried using the DEFAULT PROFILE method with FF1.01 and it no longer seems to work for me.

I have started with a fresh installation of XP, and installed the new firefox. I then loaded up the default profile, and installed all my favorite extentions, customized things to my liking, and all that.

I then went and copied the

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\profile
directory.

I then reinstalled XP, and re-installed firefox. I pasted the previous default profile into the new installation and Firefox freezes. I have tried running the default profile and that freezes. I tried to run the firefox that creates a new user (double click the Firefox.lnk) and that freezes.

No matter what I do I cannot seem to get it to work properly.

Has anyone else had this problem? It worked just fine for me when I was using FF1.0

Since this is related to firefox, I was wondering if anyone else noticed this. I use adblock, which has a statusbar overlay in it. This can also be seen in foxytunes, or any extension with a statusbar overlay.

Since I usually install with my admin user (using install global extension), and run as a different user, I don't get those overlays to display. I can get them to show on the user who installs them. The easiest way to reproduce this is, if it is working, delete the profile, and make a new one.

The only fix I can come up with is disabling the extensions, and reenabling them. I have ended up tracing the problem back to the xul.mfl file in my profile. Every thing I have read online says this should be recreated if deleted, which it is, just not properly.

Does anyone know of a fix for this?

@XKnoppix, silent_firefox.zip is no longer needed for your silent install, it only gives useful information about the process and how to build yours.

you only need to run the 1.0.1 exe file. probably re-downloading the file will solve the corruption problem.

@tjhart85, delete C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\profile and try to rebuild your default profile. if that doesn't work, delete/uninstall firefox and re-install it without messing with profiles. if that didn't solve the problem redownload firefox setup

@sleepnmojo, have not heard about that before :(

try to use the defaultsprofile\ method which will help at the time of using only 1 profile for every user :)

@tjhart85, delete C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\profile and try to rebuild your default profile. if that doesn't work, delete/uninstall firefox and re-install it without messing with profiles. if that didn't solve the problem redownload firefox setup

@simon

First, thanks for the responce. I have managed to get it to keep some of the extentions, but it does not keep any of my custom settings. None of the extentions have their settings intact, and even firefox doesn't keep the settings

ex... I always tell Firefox to open a new link in a new tab in same window

ex2... Doesn't use the theme I selected as default in my default profile.

I know when I downloaded Asta's profile, he has all these customized still, but for some reason it will not work for me. I don't know what I am doing wrong. As far as I can tell I am doing the same thing I did with FF1.0 and it worked then.

If I mess with the default profile and then double click on the firefox.lnk, it will create a profile that works, BUT if I copy this default profile to a new FRESH installation of FireFox1.01, it either freezes, or doesn't have any customizations (sometimes extentions work, usually they don't).

I have tried this many different times, on fresh installations of Firefox. I've tried about 10 times since I last posted.

All I did was copy the default profile from one installation of Firefox into the default profile of another installation of firefox. Isn't that the way that you are supposed to do it?

On neither of these installations did I copy the information found in %appdata%\mozilla\firefox

@tjhart85 in that case sorry, i misunderstood when you said "...it will create a profile that works, BUT if I copy this default profile to a new FRESH installation of FireFox1.01..."

yes it is supposed to work that way :(

@Simon

Sorry about the misunderstanding :) You had me scared, I thought I was doing something completely wrong!

OK, well, I'll have to keep tinkering with it and hope I can eventually get it to work properly. I'll try different combinations of extentions and see if maybe its an extention messing it up or something.

UPDATE: Well, if I use your installer Simon, it works just fine (except it stops and asks if I want to copy a directory or a file). I don't understand why, but it works, and thats all that really matters.

THANK YOU for all the help!

Edited by tjhart85

What's New 1.0.2

Firefox 1.0.2 is a security and stability update that is part of our ongoing program to provide a safe Internet experience for our customers. We recommend that all users upgrade to this latest version.

Here's what's new in Firefox 1.0.2:

* Several security fixes.

this night i'll work on a total customizable and language independant installer :)