Guide: Mozilla Firefox Unattended

SiMoNsAyS

sorry to be late dudes, i've been ill :(

(+) Feature Added

(-) Feature Removed

(*) Feature Remaining

(†) Note

Features List:

* Silent by default! No switches needed!

+ Optionally invisible †1   

+ Language independant and version independant! †2

+ ADT (Advanced Developer Tools) Component is now optionally installed as QFA (Quality Feedback Agent)

* Icon sizes boosted up to 128x128 †3

+ Prefetch tweak added to shortcuts. Optional shortcuts to default profile and profiles admin †4

* Removed certain searchplugins by default: Amazon, eBay and Creative

* Added certain searchplugins: MSFN, Filemirrors, Google (images), IMDB, Microsoft

* Added certain plugins: Adobe Acrobat 7, RealPlayer™ (Live Connect included), QuickTime, Shockwave Flash, Shockwave for Director

* Preferences Tweak †5

* MSFN Forum Thread Bookmark

+ Custom Extensions, Themes, Defaults\Profile, Plugins, Searchplugins and Language Pack support! †6

* Powered by RarLabs :P †7

†1 CMDOW needs to be placed on System32 or Setup.cmd folder in order to hide the command prompt window

†2 From now on there's no Firefox Setup included on the installer, that results on a smaller download, language and version independant.

†3 New icons with sizes up to 128x128

†4 Now using shortcut.exe. Optional shortcuts are available once you remove "REM" from some lines at the bottom of Setup\setup.cmd. Only for english and spanish systems

†5 Navigation speedup improvements included on the MSFN profile

†6 Open the setup file with WinRAR, place on Setup\XPI your extensions and on Setup\JAR your themes

Files present on Setup\DefaultsProfile will be copied to \defaults\profile on Mozilla's Firefox directory

Setup\Profile is where you can place your custom profile. Profiles.ini and Profiles\ folder goes there (originally they can be found on %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox)

Setup\Plugins and Setup\Searchplugins folders can also be used, just drop the necessary files there

Finally if you place the spanish langpack on Setup\XPI it will be automatically detected, that means you can take a look at the code (Setup\setup.cmd) and add your own language

Further info on http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=26240

†7 Setup no longer uses the mozilla's installer, silent switch implemented since 1.0.1

F.A.Q.:

Q: Do I need all of this crap? I only want my firefox installed silently!

A: No you don't need it! Just use -ms switch over the default installer (will only work for 1.0.1 or later). BTW, is not crap!

Q: How do I add my localized version of Firefox to your installer.

A: Easy, rename the original Firefox setup you downloaded to Setup.exe. Then open the RAR-SFX (Firefox_Silent_Setup.exe) with WinRAR and add Setup.exe to it so dir structure will be left as...

Setup.exe

Setup\

Q: What if I need to ADD/REMOVE components from Firefox like ADT (Advanced Developer Tools) or QFA (Quality Feedback Agent).

A: You can do it in two ways; you can run the original Firefox setup and look on your %TEMP% dir and copy it to a safe location. You can alternatively open the .exe setup with WinRAR and extract the contents.

Edit config.ini, if you want to remove QFA delete the line "C5=Component QFA" under "[setup Type0]" and/or "C6=Component QFA" under "[setup Type1]". If you want to add ADT then change line "Default Setup Type=Setup Type 0" to "Default Setup Type=Setup Type 1".

If you don't know how to identify setup files, then you better don't do anything.

Finally just select all the files present there (setup.exe must be on the same dir) and add them to the RAR-SFX (Firefox_Silent_Setup.exe) with WinRAR so dir structure will be left as...

setuprsc.dll

setup.exe

config.ini

install.ini

license.txt

Index.txt

help.xpi

es-ES.xpi

browser.xpi

adt.xpi

talkback.xpi

xpcom.xpi

UninstallFirefox.zip

Setup\

Note: If you removed ADT then you can delete "adt.xpi" to save space.

Q: I want Firefox with the most common plugins, maybe a couple of extensions/themes.

A: Then this setup fits your purposes. Just download your favorite extensions (XPI format) and/or your favorite themes (JAR format) and place them on Setup\XPI or Setup\JAR respectively.

Q: I also want my favorites, own preferences, misc, saved passwords...

A: For me this is the best method if you combine it with XPI and JAR files. Go to %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<random name>. From there you can copy some interesting files like bookmarks.html (favorites), formhistory.dat, hostperm.1 (allowed sites), signons.txt (saved passwords), search.rdf, localstore.rdf (contains info about your extensions so be sure you installed them first), user.js (user preferences), prefs.js (related to preferences), secmod.db, key3.db, cert8.db...

Export them to the RAR-SFX (Firefox_Silent_Setup.exe\Setup\Profile\Profiles\default.msfn), default favorites and navigation tweaks are stored there and they'll be overwritten by your preferences.

Note: Be sure to don't copy Cache, Cache.Trash, Chrome or Extensions dirs if you are going to use Setup\XPI and Setup\JAR

Q: Those other methods didn't work for me and I'm getting crazy! / Other methods did work but I want to use the same profile for multiple users!

A: You better search how to create a Defaults\Profile. After it has been created, copy the contents of "%PROGRAMFILES%\Mozilla Firefox\Defaults\Profile" to Setup\DefaultsProfile. If it's detected then a new shortcut will be added to the Start Menu.

Q: I want to help you in some way.

A: Then find a way to create a PayPal account on Spain and pay my Internet connection LoL

if you knew how to use the oldest installation you should be able to play with this without problems.

i won't update the 1st post till it is confirmed to work without problems on all languages and situations. consider it "beta" :P

Download

Edited by SiMoNsAyS

@fluid, yes, it has appeared on many threads including this.

i used a lot of the info located there to write the first "how to". problem was that it only worked on english systems and this thread pretends to give response to all systems and situations.

@durex, thanks m8 ;)

is it working for everybody? :)

Sorry The thread is just way too long.....

I try using Asta 's method and didn't work. Do i zip the Default folder or the "profile" folder inside Default folder?

I zip the profile folder and SFX it in my UA Cd.

I just wanted to make sure Im not missing anything here.. this latest update doesnt include the firefox setup.exe... all we need to do is place the public one you can dl from mozillas' site and place it in the same path as the 'Setup' folder (not in it..)... correct?

(Which is absolutely fine by me... this way Simon wont have to worry about getting out a new version of the installer the 2nd a new firefox revision comes out... I just didnt see this noted anywhere in the release notes and figured that some ppl out there may not pick up on this and run into issues.)

Sorry The thread is just way too long.....

I try using Asta 's method and didn't work. Do i zip the Default folder or the "profile" folder inside Default folder?

I zip the profile folder and SFX it in my UA Cd.

It really doesnt matter... so long as you extract them to the appropriate location.

If you want the other things in the other 'Defaults' folders, than zip up the whole thing.. if you only want the additional extensions and themes youve added when using the '-profile Defaults\profile' switch, than the only thing you need is the 'profile' folder (which is all I do).

You can either SFX them up and extract them back to the appropriate location after FF is install during your UA. Or extract Simons Silent FF Setup and place the contents of your 'Defaults\profile' into the 'Defaultprofile' folder. His setup will automatically copy them back where they need to go after FF is installed.

@iwod, durex gave your reply :)

@durex, i see you're understanding perfectly how it works.

all we need to do is place the public one you can dl from mozillas' site and place it in the same path as the 'Setup' folder (not in it..)... correct?
correct, take a look to point †2

:hello:

I hope this was the question for this topic or else just ignore and have fun whit reading the forum. 56 pages wow.

Yesterday i have silently installed the Dutch version off FF 1.02,what i did:

Download 1.02 :wacko:

Extract with Winrar 3.4

Now you see config.ini ,open whit wordpad

first change the Run Mode=Normal into silent

second part annoying but working find all the TRUE commands in the config.ini you need only the command lines 2 change it into FALSE. EXCEPT the lines below

[Windows Integration-Item0]

CheckBoxState=TRUE

Description=Op mijn bureaublad

[Windows Integration-Item1]

CheckBoxState=TRUE

Description=In mijn map Programma’s van het menu Start

[Windows Integration-Item2]

CheckBoxState=TRUE

Description=In mijn Snel Starten werkbalk

[Dialog Program Folder]

Show Dialog=TRUE

Title=Firefox installatie - Programmamap selecteren

save the file.

Now i use WIHU as a menu and call it whit the command :

%systemdrive%\Install\Apps\firefox\setup.exe /qn :thumbup

A full unattended without banner at all

Regards

@durex, as said, people like you worth the time expended on this batch thing :)

@tresans, yours is a valid way but you can just use -ms switch over the new 1.02 version that will be easier ;)

also packing the setup with winrar and using "/S" switch will take less space on your uA CD

@durex, as said, people like you worth the time expended on this batch thing :)

@tresans, yours is a valid way but you can just use -ms switch over the new 1.02 version that will be easier ;)

also packing the setup with winrar and using "/S" switch will take less space on your uA CD

tnx 4 reply

so if i download FF call with the command below, i will be done?

sorry for my English understanding.

%systemdrive%\Install\Apps\firefox\setup.exe /ms.

oo i didnt think of the space,cause this one I used is 17MB :blushing:

regards

To SiMoNsAyS

I am going to try your new method on my dutch Firefox instal.

I'm going to try to make the install incude al of my extensions and

bookmarks etc etc.

Is going to be my first atemped to make firefox silent.

Mayby of some interest to some there is a simple way of putting your backuped xpi

extensions back again after an format. Just drag and drop the xpi into your opend

browser. Just found it on Mozdev today.

D@RKNeSS

@tresans, that is :thumbup

"%systemdrive%\Install\Apps\firefox\setup.exe" -ms

be sure to use the correct switch (wih -)

@DaRKNeSS666NL, drag&drop is another nice trick but my objective was always to do the installation fully uA. hope you find useful my "way" :)