SAV 9 - Symantec AntiVirus 9.0

prathapml

I don't know how you did it but my SAVSource installation folder is 42.5Mb (including the most recent virus defs and Intelligent Updater (around 8Mb)) How can any of you compress this using 7zip to get to 11Mb sfx? I tried at ultra compression, with 255 word lenght and 48 word size (or something like that) and I still got a 27Mb file... any hints?

What's the difference between LiveUpdate and IntelligentUpdater? Symantec's site is so clear and full of explanations... (I'm being sarcastic here) But since both are updating the virus def, I don't need both, maybe one is automatic and LiveUpdate is manual? Then why do I have to manually download the new intelligent updater file?

What's the difference between LiveUpdate and IntelligentUpdater?
Symantec supplies updated virus definitions files weekly through LiveUpdate and daily through Intelligent Updater files posted to the Symantec Security Response Web site. (Updates are also issued whenever a new high-risk virus threat emerges.) Make it a practice to update virus definitions once a week at a minimum. Scheduling LiveUpdate to run automatically is the easiest way not to forget. Always update immediately if a new virus scare is reported.

With LiveUpdate, Symantec AntiVirus connects automatically to a special Symantec Web site and determines if virus definitions need updating. If so, it downloads the proper files and installs them in the proper location. LiveUpdate also checks for and downloads program patches to Symantec AntiVirus, if available. Generally, you do not have to do anything to configure LiveUpdate. The only requirement is an Internet connection.

Source: SAV Help!

Anyone knows how to update the scan engine? I have 9.0.1.1000 on two computers and on one the scan engine is 1.2.0.13 and on the other one it is 1.1.0.13. One of the computers with the newer scan engine had SAVCE 9.0.0.1400 before, but I uninstalled it and installed 9.0.1.1000 instead.

----UPDATE----

It worked when running liveupdate and then unloading the service and reloading the service again. The scan engine version displayed is the currently loaded.

----END UPDATE----

By the way, according to Symantecs guide to slipstream the update patches you can not have SAVCE installed on the machine where you are patching it with setup /a.

I was just going to respond to your post saying that I was unable to reproduce now that I've "come into" a copy of 9.0.1.1000 B). It shows scan engine 1.2.0.13 here on a clean (read: fresh XP install in VirtualPC with no AV software prior) install here. Apparently it does for you too, though :P.

Does anybody know how to change LiveUpdate settings so it's installed with them in place?

Anybody have a clue how to make the settings stick?

ryanvm, check out my post: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...20entry180255

it details how to change settings for default scan options, scheduled scans, and Live Update settings. it's not an elegant .msi integrated solution, but it works. ;)

-joe

Does anybody know how to change LiveUpdate settings so it's installed with them in place?

Anybody have a clue how to make the settings stick?

ryanvm, check out my post: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...20entry180255

it details how to change settings for default scan options, scheduled scans, and Live Update settings. it's not an elegant .msi integrated solution, but it works. ;)

-joe

I don't see a setting for Express mode in your post, which is the setting I'm looking for. I'm pretty sure that those settings are controlled in the Settings.LiveUpdate files and not in the registry.

Thanks anyway, though.

Hi guys,

I'm administering a small Windows 2003 domain. We are using group policies to install software on our Windows XP clients.

Although it would be possible to install via GPO directly by using the "Symantec AntiVirus.msi" file I would like to make some changes in what is installed. For instance, I dont think our users really need the SAVHelp component...

The "Symantec AntiVirus.msi" file accepts commands from the command line to control what is installed, but as far as I know, it is not possible to issue commands to a GPO installed package.

I have searched the Symantec knowledge base and found this article: Symantec article discussing MST transforms, which suggests creating a MST transform file (we already use a transform file for our Office installation) to make changes to the installation.

So I have become acquainted with Orca, which generates MST files, however, I wouldn't know what to "transform" in the MSI file to make my desired changes appear. Symantec KB doesn't talk about configuring what is installed using MST files.

Have you got any suggestions as to how I might make changes to the installation with GPO distribution in mind?

Thank you.

Best regards

Andreas

I was doing this for some time: :blushing:

$oem$\Prog$\Symantec\Liveupdate\Settings.Merge.LiveUpdate

PREFERENCES\CORPORATE_MODE=YES

PREFERENCES\ALL TRANSPORTS AVAILABLE=YES

$oem$\Prog$\Symantec\Liveupdate\Settings.Host.LiveUpdate
HOSTS\0\ACCESS=D:\Av\LiveUpdate

HOSTS\0\ACCESS2=D:\Av\LiveUpdate

HOSTS\0\IS_SYMANTEC=NO

HOSTS\0\NAME=Buscando actualizaciones en unidad de CD-ROM D:...

HOSTS\0\LOGIN=nologinrequired

HOSTS\0\PASSWORD=nopassword

HOSTS\0\SUBNET=0.0.0.0

HOSTS\0\SUBNETMASK=0.0.0.0

HOSTS\0\TYPE=LAN

HOSTS\1\ACCESS=E:\Av\LiveUpdate

HOSTS\1\ACCESS2=E:\Av\LiveUpdate

HOSTS\1\IS_SYMANTEC=NO

HOSTS\1\NAME=Buscando actualizaciones en unidad de CD-ROM E:...

HOSTS\1\LOGIN=nologinrequired

HOSTS\1\PASSWORD=nopassword

HOSTS\1\SUBNET=0.0.0.0

HOSTS\1\SUBNETMASK=0.0.0.0

HOSTS\1\TYPE=LAN

HOSTS\2\ACCESS=liveupdate.symantecliveupdate.com

HOSTS\2\ACCESS2=http://liveupdate.symantecliveupdate.com

HOSTS\2\IS_SYMANTEC:ENC=N%9-U,&[>@M

HOSTS\2\LOGIN:ENC=YBR#A%5\(CI

HOSTS\2\NAME=liveupdate.symantecliveupdate.com

HOSTS\2\PASSWORD:ENC=YBR#A%5\(CI

HOSTS\2\SUBNET=0.0.0.0

HOSTS\2\SUBNETMASK=0.0.0.0

HOSTS\2\TYPE=HTTP

HOSTS\3\ACCESS=liveupdate.symantec.com

HOSTS\3\ACCESS2=http://liveupdate.symantec.com

HOSTS\3\IS_SYMANTEC:ENC=N%9-U,&[>@M

HOSTS\3\LOGIN:ENC=YBR#A%5\(CI

HOSTS\3\NAME=liveupdate.symantec.com

HOSTS\3\PASSWORD:ENC=YBR#A%5\(CI

HOSTS\3\SUBNET=0.0.0.0

HOSTS\3\SUBNETMASK=0.0.0.0

HOSTS\3\TYPE=HTTP

HOSTS\4\ACCESS=update.symantec.com/opt/content/onramp

HOSTS\4\ACCESS2=ftp://update.symantec.com/opt/content/onramp

HOSTS\4\IS_SYMANTEC:ENC=N%9-U,&[>@M

HOSTS\4\LOGIN:ENC=V!0QDU7."^$C(%+!24M?+A

HOSTS\4\NAME=update.symantec.com

HOSTS\4\PASSWORD:ENC=L"`';1^I=[DC(%+!24M?+A

HOSTS\4\SUBNET=0.0.0.0

HOSTS\4\SUBNETMASK=0.0.0.0

HOSTS\4\TYPE=FTP

HOSTS\NUM_HOSTS=5

These settings merge at first Liveupdate run into:

"c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Datos de programa\Symantec\LiveUpdate\Settings.LiveUpdate"

So Liveupdate scan CD for virus def. an other stuff. In facts download:

livetri.zip

symtri.zip

And scan for needed stuff.

I use Liveupdate Administration to keep track of updates, but its 120 Mb of downloads actually, because I used for all Symantec producs.

To slim down the needed updates I peek at:

"c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Datos de programa\Symantec\LiveUpdate\Log.LiveUpdate"

There is where all the Liveupdate process is logged. So you must first download the requires files to put in the cd:

livetri.zip

symtri.zip

With these files in the "Host file" path, launch Liveupdate: It will recognize the needed updates but fail to download them. But you will get the errors in the log file:

22/08/04, 00:10:57 a.m. GMT -> Progress Update: DOWNLOAD_FILE_FINISH: - ERROR! - URL: "D:\Instalar\Aplicaciones\Nav2002\LiveUpdate\ennfullb.x86", Full Download Path: "C:\WINDOWS\All Users\Datos de programa\Symantec\LiveUpdate\Downloads\ennfullb.x86" HR: 0x802A0033

22/08/04, 00:10:57 a.m. GMT -> HR 0x802A0033 DECODE: E_CANT_CREATE_FILE

The paths in the example abobe may differ from the host file presented before (should be the same) because is really a log for a NAV2002 update, but you get the idea:

"The files marked with ERROR! should be downloaded from the symantec server"

So for the example abobe you may also download:

http://liveupdate.symantecliveupdate.com/ennfullb.x86

(between other files)

The full update process may require you restart and launch Liveupdate again to get all the updates, so you must repeat the "LiveUpdate Error->Log peek->Download->LiveUpdate Success-Restart" :boring:

I personally switch to Liveupdate Administration (hacked*) because is easier to mantain the updates.

Nilfred -)

*The hack consist in a read only and modified products.xml to add the files I need which are not dowloaded by itself.

Been a lurker for about a week now and for the life of me, I have no idea how this site has escaped my attention for so long. Sort of feel like I'm crashin a party here.

Well I just read all 21 pages of this thread, and I hope I didn't miss this, but here goes:

On the distribution CD in the unsupported tools area (where Packager can be found), is a directory called ConfigEd. In there is a little utility where you can generate a GRC.DAT file with all of your desired SAV settings. Place this file in the root of your installation point of SAV and all those settings will be imported into the client at install.

Anyone know if there is a seperate thread for SCS (SAV and the Firewall Client)? Or is this thread open for that discussion too?

Sort of feel like I'm crashin a party here.

hey, don't feel like you're crashing a party at all! for your first post, you nailed it! Using that config util is a MUCH easier and more elegant solution than the registry hack that I came up with.. :) new blood is always welcome!

-joe