SAV 9 - Symantec AntiVirus 9.0

prathapml

call down boy i could a newbie from the post but i follow this unattended this forum along time go

i only made posts if i have any issue .

could you see i track this forun about 1 year and see my post , just a few .

dont be offend

we are always learn until death

and thanks for the explicity guide

i have sac 9.1.1000 there is any update for this ?

everything works

thanks to all

the patch that is mencioned is for previuos sav (338) or works in 1.100 ?

this is the update patch for v9.0.1.1000 and it will update it to v9.0.1.1100

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/products/symantec_antivirus/symantec_antivirus_corp/9.0/updates/SAV_9.0.1_MR1-MP1_AllWin_EN.zip

@parathml I must still mention that I WAS NOT FLUSTERED. I hate those people getting mad at others because they ask question. I don't think this is a nice attitude and I even posted against some angry nerds on another thread. If I was that type of person I would not have taken 10 minutes of my time to go through my code and make an explanation! It's just a fact that people tend to ask question first and not look for the answer themselves. And I probably did that on other threads too, I am human. That's why I helped him out! Now this is the net guys, not some country club where we can see each other's face over a bucket of beer. So please do a little interpretation effort before tagging everyone with "flustered" or "cool down", I simply mentionned that it's type of question was the newbie type and that I can understand (note: understand, not agree) why some people get mad at them, not to insult him but just to show him that a simple look would have answered his question. I still took my time to help him out so bug off my case god **** it! Do you always smile and talk nice to people, with flowers raining from the sky and lovebirds singing your joy to live??? I guess so, your Bob, but I'm Gigabyte and for my part the answer is no, sometimes I'm direct, sometimes I'm serious, and I don't have to be SOOOOO nice to answer a question, my answer was the best explanation or resumé of the method I could provide, I even included my personnal autoit solution to it! This was totally free, the results of my efforts to learn and I added it to the method cause I want to help too. So next time instead of jumping of your chairs because you saw "newbie" (oooooo a bad word.... there is worst things going on in Irak and Haiti...), take the time to appreciate the effort I made, even if it was made with my "just-out-of-bed" smile.

Cheers :D

@jinquinto that's why I helped, and that's why under my pic it's written 2nd star LEARNER. :thumbup

And to go back to topic... anyone know when Symantec plans to release it's multilang. update of SAV? I'm stil waiting for the french version to come out and I haven't found any info about that during my quick search of symantec's site. The ftp is down this morning, maybe they are updating the files :) or not loll

Just so you guys know, patching the AIP with the 9.0.1.1100 patch appears to not overwrite vpc32.exe with the updated build (hence the screenshot I had earlier showing two different builds). The MSI file ends up with duplicate entries for vpc32.exe, one with the correct version number and one incorrect. If you install the MSP after the fact on a normal SAV install, it updates vpc32.exe just fine.

So basically, to fully update it, you have to edit the MSI to remove the outdated entry for vpc32.exe and you need to replace vpc32.exe with the updated build.

Hi

I have just talked with our support for Symantec AV, and they told me that they have reported several bugs in 9.01, among others a bug in the msi packed because that it just can't se that you are running a previos 9.0x build. A new and hopefully better vertion 9.02 should be shipped with in a week or 2.

Peter ;)

Anyone have any idea how to switch the management server when upgrading? Right now I'm running this:

SAV.msi /qb ADDLOCAL=SAVMain,SAVUI,QClient INSTALLSERVER=0 NETWORKTYPE=1 SERVERNAME=SAVSERVER2 ENABLEAUTOPROTECT=1 RUNLIVEUPDATE=0 REBOOT=REALLYSUPPRESS /l*v c:\TEMP\SAV.txt

It works fine... updates old versions... installs cleanly on new PCs. The old server (SAVSERVER1) is used to manage old versions. When I run this update on them, after it's installed it's still pointing at the old management server, not the new one. When I run it on a clean machine, it installs and points at the new server. How do I get it to switch the server when performing an upgrade and not a clean install?

Hi EclipseGSX

If you are using 9.x you can just drop and drag between you managementservers.

Btw: I got this from our support it should work when you are upgrading from 8.xx to 9.xx (I have not testet it.) This string did not work for me when I tried to upgrad a 9.0 build 338 to 9.01.1.100. I gues that you can put in you parent server in the string.

*.msi RUNLIVEUPDATE=0 MIGRATESETTINGS=0 REBOOT=ReallySuppress /qn

I hope this helps you futher.

Peter ;)

Thank you for the quick reply, pesko. I tried the MIGRATESETTINGS parameter, but that didn't seem to affect the outcome. I'm trying to avoid having to run a manual uninstall first, as there are different versions on all 300 machines I'm looking to upgrade (7.61, 7.62, 8.1.1).

What was that about a parent server? Should I throw that in the command line too?

Thanks,

Eclipse

Hi

In vertion 9.x you can move client from parent server by drop and drag in older vertions you have to copy a new grc.dat file to the server you want to move.

Symantec recomand that you install the client vertion on you servers and client if you dont want them to be parent server.

According to Symantec Support you should uninstall when upgrading from 7.x to 8.x or 9.0.

I have uninstalled and upgraded over 100 servers and workstations and you will proberly have to run the nav uninstall script on 5-10% of your servers/workstations or uninstall SAV manually.

Peter ;)

The drag and drop feature in V9 is certainly long overdue. I almost forgot that we couldn't do that before.

Anyway, I would suggest installing SCC on a workstation that you do most of your management chores from. It works just fine under XP SP2. In fact I made my own mmc console that includes SCC with all of my MS admin pak consoles all in one.

Need some help...

After installing the Lusetup.exe file (downloaded from the first page) to update Live update to ver 2.5, I get a folder popping up called C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec, every time I boot into Windows.

After doing a little research, it appears that Lusetup.exe creates a second folder in Program files (C:\Program Files\Symantec) instead of using the default (C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus). Is this correct? Anyone have any idea what is causing the folder C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec to open when starting Windows?

I get a folder popping up called C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec, every time I boot into Windows.
No, this doesn't seem to be because of an updated live-update. I have this happening even if I use the default files, and default install.