Memory usage of UXP based browser really explodes on certain websites, eg. new Reddit. The base memory usage of other browsers doesn't increase as much. Difference between 150 - 300 MB and a whooping gigabyte or more is not so negligible. I'm wondering what's a technical explanation for such difference.

On 5/28/2024 at 8:03 PM, VistaLover said:

... You're using St55, so the wording there (about:profiles) is still "Restart with Add-Ons Disabled:P ; in St52, MCP have reworded that to "Restart in Safe Mode", to more accurately indicate what happens when you click that button...

As you've found out already: 

"Restart with Add-Ons Disabled" != "disable every add-on manually and restart"

DUJrIzq.png

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_Mode

:P

Google brought me to that page even before you did, but I swear I tried disabling everything that the article said "safe mode" disabled, and I still couldn't get it to work!

• Safe Mode temporarily affects the following:
All extensions are disabled.
The default theme is used, without a persona.
The Just-in-time (JIT) JavaScript compiler is disabled.
The userChrome.css and userContent.css files are ignored.
The default toolbar layout is used.
Hardware acceleration is disabled.
  • Safe Mode has no effect on the following:
The status of plugins is not affected.
Custom preferences are not affected.

BTW there's a contradiction between the St 52 dialog box and the Mozillazine article: The dialog box says custom settings are disabled, the Mozillazine article says they are not. My experience tells me the Mozillazine article is correct, at least for St 55. (Don't know if MCP changed that in UXP.)

At any rate, I just gave up. I copied my St 55 profile from work to my home PC with the help of a thumb drive. That fixed several of my problems; e.g., M$'s Windows Update Catalog works again. Chase.com is very cantankerous, but can be made to work with enough patience (although TBH, I usually just go to Edge for that site now).

I'll probably never figure out the core issue. I can only tell you it isn't multiprocess mode, nor is it most of my add-ons.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Yep! The new Reddit is the hell. :thumbdown 100% RAM usage on my system, and nothing works anymore. That's why I use the old Reddit via userscript there. :P

About your comment, it's crazy. I always am forced to fully close and reopen serpent usually once every day on average just because it cant ever handle more than a few youtube videos... a few image generations on pixai.art website.. or 1 or 2 twitch page loads. It's ridiculous.

I have 4 GB RAM (3.2 max for win xp or whatever) so it's "not" that being an issue or anything.. and 2nd gen Core i5 CPU 2.6 GHZ... and SSD, so again it's not that.

it's just that this browser i guess becomes so overloaded just from only a couple things, until the point that it freezes up dead until i force exit it in Task Manager.

like closing tabs doesnt do anything at all to un-freeze the browser, or release the RAM or that it's only a very small amount. i have no idea whatsoever. I tried the "multi process" thing yesterday.. and that seems to be effective...but it for some reason makes the backspace key no longer function.. then when i turn off the multiprocess.. then it's workinig like normal, so thats why i cant commit to using multiprocess. i tried to post about this in that thread there.

Edited by kuja killer

1 hour ago, kuja killer said:

I tried the "multi process" thing yesterday.. and that seems to be effective...but it for some reason makes the backspace key no longer function..

There's a fix for that. Set dom.keyboardevent.keypress.dispatch_non_printable_in_content to true in about:config.

Posted (edited)

The only reason I knew about it is that it came up a few months ago when St started doing it in single-process as well as multiprocess mode, and someone came up with that setting as a workaround and posted it in this thread. I guess St was fixed later on, but the fix only works in single-process mode?

Edit: It was actually in the previous "generation" of this thread:

https://msfn.org/board/topic/184051-my-browser-builds-part-4/?do=findComment&comment=1228833

Edited by Mathwiz

Posted (edited)

I frequent AVSForum.com, and they made a change today that's resulting in insanity on St 55. See attachment. (There's also a link you can use for testing at the bottom of the image.)

That used to be a tiny icon in each post. Now it's giant sized and overlays the post text, making it unreadable. (I already tried a clean profile. No difference.)

I've seen this on a few other sites and assume it's some newly-popular CSS Googlism. Anyone know of a workaround, other than "switch to the latest Chrome version?"

Capture.PNG

Edited by Mathwiz

Posted (edited)

oh god i just noticed that too. another website in my bookmarks list that i look at once in awhile is https://www.wrestlingforum.com/forums/ ..it must probably be the exact same type of forum as the one you mentioned..  it also does that stupidly huge icon thing that's in front of posts. And yea, it makes reading things almost impossible. I've never seen such a thing ever happen before today. :|

Edited by kuja killer

10 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Yep! The new Reddit is the hell. :thumbdown 100% RAM usage on my system, and nothing works anymore. That's why I use the old Reddit via userscript there. :P

I haven't visited Reddit in a while, but what I like about the new one is seeing beginning of the text of each post without having to open it. But opening it while using a new layout in current tab is very clunky as when you go back, you don't land where you were due to lack of pagination, so opening in a new tab works better, though using single tab with old layout is more responsive and intuitive.

It seems memory usage jumps as soon as more posts load beyond the ones visible initially.

Why is it done in palemoon 28 that if 1 tab is open and you click the cross (make Close Tab), then the entire browser closes? Is this how it was intended or is this happening by mistake?

3 hours ago, kiza124 said:

Why is it done in palemoon 28 that if 1 tab is open and you click the cross (make Close Tab), then the entire browser closes? Is this how it was intended or is this happening by mistake?

It's more of a trend, not a bug, It happens in new Chrome, also.