MPC-HC and Winrar backported for Windows XP

tirigliu

Hi guys,

I've got a 32bit XP system that I can't upgrade and I'm currently running MPC-HC.1.7.13.32 and Winrar 5.11. I'm looking for the latest versions for both MPC-HC and Winrar backported for XP and couldn't find any. Snipping tool will be also a good program to have under XP.

I found videos I can't play anymore and archives I can't unpack anymore (created with Winrar 7)

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Edited by tirigliu

3 hours ago, tirigliu said:

I'm currently running Winrar 5.11

WinRAR 5.61 should definitely work on Windows XP 32-Bit, I shan't attach any links due to the 

recent very strange attention to my account. Just search for WinRAR 5.61 (Windows XP 32-Bit) yourself, easy to find.

17 hours ago, Dixel said:

WinRAR 5.61 should definitely work on Windows XP 32-Bit, I shan't attach any links due to the 

recent very strange attention to my account. Just search for WinRAR 5.61 (Windows XP 32-Bit) yourself, easy to find.

There are archives created with Winrar 7 that can't be unpacked by previous versions.

I tried VLC, works but it's not as good as MPC-HC.

Edited by tirigliu

19 minutes ago, tirigliu said:

I want to use Winrar for this not any other program.

That unfairly ties anyone's hands behind their back that are trying to offer assistance, doesn't it?

UNPACKING rar files is not a WinRar-only issue.  There are DOZENS of programs that can UNPACK rar files.

Creating the rar files is a WinRar proprietary or paid software thing, put you only asked about UNPACKING your rar files.

I suggest 7-Zip and second the suggestion for Uni Extract.

Generally people that prefer interfaces of things like WinZip or WinRar will prefer 7-Zip over Uni Extract.

IZArc is another good one that can UNPACK rar files.

35 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

That unfairly ties anyone's hands behind their back that are trying to offer assistance, doesn't it?

UNPACKING rar files is not a WinRar-only issue.  There are DOZENS of programs that can UNPACK rar files.

Creating the rar files is a WinRar proprietary or paid software thing, put you only asked about UNPACKING your rar files.

I suggest 7-Zip and second the suggestion for Uni Extract.

Generally people that prefer interfaces of things like WinZip or WinRar will prefer 7-Zip over Uni Extract.

No offence, but your reply is off topic. You're trying to offer assistance for something I didn't ask. Furthermore, having paid a licence for Winrar I want to continue to use it.

4 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Doesn't work with Windows XP he asked about.

4 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

over Uni Extract.

Funny you suggest him to use the outdated XP Command Line Add-On version 1.1 from 22.01.2007 over Uni Extract with a convenient UI.

https://www.izarc.org/downloads

3 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I use IZAarc in XP to unpack rar files, full-blown IZArc, not just the command line add-on.  But no, it's not the newest version.  Several years old.  I don't need it that often though.

He specifically requested a new version, he repeated it several times, though I understand you're trying to help with what you can. Is it fine if I say thank you instead of the OP?

43 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Why not contact the author/creator of WinRar?

The WinRAR author dropped support for Windows XP since version 6.10, so I don't think the author will be able to help the OP.

https://www.win-rar.com/whatsnew.html?&L=0

Version 6.10

4. Windows XP is not supported anymore. Minimum required operating system version is Windows Vista.

That's why the OP created this topic, wanting to find newer versions of MPC-HC and WinRAR than their last XP-compatible versions (MPC-HC 1.7.13 and WinRAR 6.02, respectively) for XP.

Edited by mina7601

1 hour ago, tirigliu said:

No offence, but your reply is off topic. You're trying to offer assistance for something I didn't ask. Furthermore, having paid a licence for Winrar I want to continue to use it.

It's not off-topic at all.  He's saying you can use a more readily available extraction tool, instead of messing around with WinRAR, especially since any version you can use on XP will not extract the RAR archives you want to read.  Just source 7-Zip 9.20.

Having paid for WinRAR, you can still use it on your modern OS releases.

As for MPC, I use MPC-HC v1.71.  What can't it play?

Edited by Jody Thornton