MPC-HC and Winrar backported for Windows XP

tirigliu

7 minutes ago, Jody Thornton said:

I just edited my post -- JUST before you responded :D

Lol, that was very quick :P

Anyway, 1 thing I am very curious about is: why this topic is created in "Software Hangout" forum, while the other topic is created in the "Windows XP" forum? "Software Hangout" forum is used for discussing software problems.

Edited by mina7601

3 hours ago, Jody Thornton said:

It's not off-topic at all.  He's saying you can use a more readily available extraction tool, instead of messing around with WinRAR, especially since any version you can use on XP will not extract the RAR archives you want to read.  Just source 7-Zip 9.20.

Having paid for WinRAR, you can still use it on your modern OS releases.

As for MPC, I use MPC-HC v1.71.  What can't it play?

Title of the thread is "MPC-HC and Winrar backported for Windows XP" so anything else is off topic. If you have nothing of value to add to this thread please refrain from making silly comments.

I've found what I was looking for elsewhere, so I'll consider this matter closed.

Edited by tirigliu

9 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Great tool! :thumbup I use it on a regular base. FYI, the most recent version is UniExtract2 2.0.0 RC 4 from 15.10.2023, though. :)

Thank you, missed it! I'll make sure to update, fantastic news, really appreciate!

How come you have time to track down everything?:D

33 minutes ago, mina7601 said:

@Dave-H please, kindly lock this topic.

I'll say!  I mean, you try to help a fellow Canadian :D

The way he sees it, it's like going to a doctor and saying, "My leg is in pain, and I need you to chop it off"!

The doctor replies, "No need actually!  We have medicine that will get rid of that pain.  You can keep your leg!"

But tirigliu doubles down and says, "Wait!  I specifically asked that you fix this by amputating my leg.  There's no need for your silly comments!"

Sigh! :(

Edited by Jody Thornton

44 minutes ago, Jody Thornton said:

I'll say!  I mean, you try to help a fellow Canadian :D

The way he sees it, it's like going to a doctor and saying, "My leg is in pain, and I need you to chop it off"!

The doctor replies, "No need actually!  We have medicine that will get rid of that pain.  You can keep your leg!"

But tirigliu doubles down and says, "Wait!  I specifically asked that you fix this by amputating my leg.  There's no need for your silly comments!"

Sigh! :(

Actually, the reason I requested closure of this topic is not only because trigliu said: "I'll consider this matter closed.", but because also this topic drove away from what it was originally supposed to be, and that's what disappointed me very much. The OP simply asked for latest backported versions of MPC-HC and WinRAR for XP, he didn't want alternatives to both programs (and he didn't even want to switch to alternatives, as he already mentioned he wants to continue using these programs, WinRAR especially, he didn't want to use Uni Extract 2 instead either)

5 minutes ago, mina7601 said:

Actually, the reason I requested closure of this topic is not only because trigliu said: "I'll consider this matter closed.", but because also this topic drove away from what it was originally supposed to be, and that's what disappointed me very much. The OP simply asked for latest backported versions of MPC-HC and WinRAR for XP, he didn't want alternatives to both programs (and he didn't even want to switch to alternatives, as he already mentioned he wants to continue using these programs, WinRAR especially, he didn't want to use Uni Extract 2 instead either)

Yeah but mina701, it's perfectly reasonable to offer up valid alternatives to bridge the gap.  He just wants to read the files.  If you're saying (like the OP) that only valid solution to an issue is exactly what was specified in the thread title, and no one can offer up a better idea, that's not being reasonable at all.

You did understand what point I was trying to drive home in the doctor's visit scenario, didn't you?

OK I'm done :(

5 hours ago, D.Draker said:

How come you have time to track down everything?:D

I check some programmes for updates from time to time. Regarding UniExtract2 I maintain an own article about such tools:

No more and no less. :) And tools like WinRAR, 7-Zip and UniExtract2 are very important, especially for me. :thumbup