Latest-ish MPC-HC ported for XP

tirigliu

1 hour ago, ED_Sln said:

Oops, for some reason the files from the 7+ version are in the folder. I've reuploaded the correct version. I found that it requires .Net 3.5 and C++ 2008.

Thanks, working fine now.

On 1/21/2024 at 6:13 PM, dmiranda said:

As you said, probably decoding fell back to internal lav

It's not "maybe", "likely", "probably", it's only "N/A". (In English it's a short for "not available")

DirectX 11 video acceleration (but not gaming DirectX 11) is only available since Windows 8.

"d3d11 requires Windows 8 or later, and is not supported on this OS!"

Do you need help with the translation?

d3d11.png

This looks better:

spacer.png

Driver version 355.98.

This explains why LAV Video Decoder doesn't work on h.264. LAV has DXVA2 according to its settings, h.264 apparently works through DXVA1 on XP. Honestly, I've no idea how I have dxva2.dll in system32/SysWOW64, DirectX Redist seems a likely candidate, these files don't have normal custom file permissions, but inherited from their folders, no copy of them in dllcache folder either. DXVA2 is not supposed to work on XP according to Wikipedia, whatever goes through should only go through software, non-accelerated decoding paths at best. While dxva2.dll is loadable, when it comes to DirectX in general, you still need support from the layers at lower levels.

Though it's interesting VC1 codec is shown for DXVA2 at all, I don't remember ever dealing with this specific codec, at least not knowingly. So output from GPU-Z makes more sense now, querying only DXVA2. That one VC1 variant in DXVA Checker also disappears for DXVA2 when renaming dxva2.dll to something else.

spacer.png

3 hours ago, UCyborg said:

This looks better:

spacer.png

It doesn't show H265 - HEVC MAIN Profile, WMV (Windows Media) IDCT and VP9  (limited). These are the first ones come to mind. All supported by your card.

4 hours ago, UCyborg said:

This looks better:

spacer.png

Driver version 355.98.

This explains why LAV Video Decoder doesn't work on h.264. LAV has DXVA2 according to its settings, h.264 apparently works through DXVA1 on XP. Honestly, I've no idea how I have dxva2.dll in system32/SysWOW64, DirectX Redist seems a likely candidate, these files don't have normal custom file permissions, but inherited from their folders, no copy of them in dllcache folder either. DXVA2 is not supposed to work on XP according to Wikipedia, whatever goes through should only go through software, non-accelerated decoding paths at best. While dxva2.dll is loadable, when it comes to DirectX in general, you still need support from the layers at lower levels.

Though it's interesting VC1 codec is shown for DXVA2 at all, I don't remember ever dealing with this specific codec, at least not knowingly. So output from GPU-Z makes more sense now, querying only DXVA2. That one VC1 variant in DXVA Checker also disappears for DXVA2 when renaming dxva2.dll to something else.

spacer.png

"Honestly, I've no idea how I have dxva2.dll in system32/SysWOW64, DirectX Redist seems a likely candidate, these files don't have normal custom file permissions, but inherited from their folders, no copy of them in dllcache folder either. DXVA2 is not supposed to work on XP according to Wikipedia, whatever goes through should only go through software, non-accelerated decoding paths at best. While dxva2.dll is loadable, when it comes to DirectX in general, you still need support from the layers at lower levels."

Well, in my case I think there may be two probable culprits (no false pretense of expertise here, just sharing probably wrong data from an informed, risky, user point of view): 1) https://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/DirectX-10-for-Windows-XP.shtml, 2) https://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Video/Codec-Packs-Video-Codecs/Windows-Media-Format-Runtime-11.shtml.

What matters is, despite what one can find searching the net for what is and what is not compatible with XP (including the subject of this topic) is that many things one can find unusable in XP searching while looking at the swamps of Paramaribo on broadband internet, actually are, sort of, working in XP (even today, 10 years or so after supposed end of life, and more than 20 since its launching as the next big thing), if you know what you are doing. Practice, practice, practice.

The trick is to get your hands dirty, so to speak, and to stop pretending you know what works until you start using the damn thing, instead of reading what you search others say about it. Up to 2017 (transition from FF51 to FF52), I was able to change, somehow, FF video rendering so that watching a movie there was almost as good as watching it in the mpc-hc port by MarkWillem32 (https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=161047). Those days are long gone, although video quality in sp52 and mypal68 (two other things that shouldn't work as well as they do in XP) are very respectable, today.

If a foreign legion or green beret (laf) wannabe wants to help me better express this, please feel free to do so. We all know military (wannabe) heads know better, anyway. 

Edited by dmiranda
wrong branch

5 hours ago, D.Draker said:

It doesn't show H265 - HEVC MAIN Profile, WMV (Windows Media) IDCT and VP9  (limited). These are the first ones come to mind. All supported by your card.

Most likely h265 only works on DXVA2, when I checked GTX950 on XP, there was no h265 support there either, although the video card itself supports both Main and Main10. Or it's a limitation of the driver, they just didn't add h265 support.

11 hours ago, dmiranda said:

If a foreign legion or green beret (laf) wannabe wants to help me better express this, please feel free to do so. We all know military (wannabe) heads know better, anyway. 

Where do you see "a foreign legion or Lebanese green beret (LAF) wannabes" on this website? For those who never heard before- LAF is Lebanese Armed Forces https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lebanese_Armed_Forces.

If this is some sort of your anti-semitic jokes/trolling, stop. People will help only those who behave properly and respectfully. So far, you didn't even thank me for pointing you out to the right direction regarding Bluray/DVD playback, for example.

Edited by Dixel
link

10 hours ago, ED_Sln said:

Most likely h265 only works on DXVA2, when I checked GTX950 on XP, there was no h265 support there either, although the video card itself supports both Main and Main10. Or it's a limitation of the driver, they just didn't add h265 support.

It still doesn't explain why DXVA checker doesn't show the ancient XP era WMV (Windows Media Video) IDCT. It was and is a very common fomat.

It was released even before Vista for, compatible with DXVA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Media_Video

About H265, unfortunately, I don't have a GPU that supports h265 Main10 decoding, so no comment here.

18 hours ago, UCyborg said:

This looks better:

spacer.png

This is Nvidia Bitsream, but DXVA checker was always glitchy, esp. on older OS, so it doesn't show it to you.

Probably because it runs on unsupported Framework 4.0 with the suggested change in the ini file.

9947ec6f-689b-11dc-a320-0019dbbc4184

This is Nvidia Bitsream.png

4 hours ago, D.Draker said:

It still doesn't explain why DXVA checker doesn't show the ancient XP era WMV (Windows Media Video) IDCT. It was and is a very common fomat.

It shows, but it is not called WMV, but VC-1. I found (with great difficulty) a wmv video, this is what MediaInfio says:

Format                                   : VC-1
Format profile                           : MP@ML
Codec ID                                 : WMV3
Codec ID/Info                            : Windows Media Video 9
Codec ID/Hint                            : WMV3
Description of the codec                 : Windows Media Video 9

23 hours ago, dmiranda said:

Well, in my case I think there may be two probable culprits (no false pretense of expertise here, just sharing probably wrong data from an informed, risky, user point of view): 1) https://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/DirectX-10-for-Windows-XP.shtml, 2) https://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Video/Codec-Packs-Video-Codecs/Windows-Media-Format-Runtime-11.shtml.

What matters is, despite what one can find searching the net for what is and what is not compatible with XP (including the subject of this topic) is that many things one can find unusable in XP searching while looking at the swamps of Paramaribo on broadband internet, actually are, sort of, working in XP (even today, 10 years or so after supposed end of life, and more than 20 since its launching as the next big thing), if you know what you are doing. Practice, practice, practice.

The trick is to get your hands dirty, so to speak, and to stop pretending you know what works until you start using the damn thing, instead of reading what you search others say about it. Up to 2017 (transition from FF51 to FF52), I was able to change, somehow, FF video rendering so that watching a movie there was almost as good as watching it in the mpc-hc port by MarkWillem32 (https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=161047). Those days are long gone, although video quality in sp52 and mypal68 (two other things that shouldn't work as well as they do in XP) are very respectable, today.

For those who use or have used XP the way the poor thing can be used:

Installing 2): should go uneventfully. It's necessary, security-wise.

Installing 1): it should install with no problem, 1 issue: you'll start getting the error "The procedure entry point_except_handler4_common could not be located in the dynamic link library msvcrt.dl". 

Solution to 1): rename or delete dwmapi.dll (sys32) (keep a backup), restart, put instead dll mod in xompie. If things go bad after that: reinstall windows from scratch (unless you have a paragon14 baseline image).

For those who have no clue, claim imperial tongue their first (obviously) language, their first a dialect, and can't even comprehend the difference between laf and LAF (I prefer the fifth definition of the urban dictionary https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Laf). Well, stay on topic, boy.

PS: I can genetically demonstrate I'm 1% Ashkenazi and that according to those who know (better than me) my two last names can be traced back to sefardí origins. I believe in no religion but recognize the holy spirit, that prevails over all religions. Even over stupidity, shame on you, Einstein!

Edited by dmiranda

On 1/22/2024 at 10:33 PM, D.Draker said:

Do you need help with the translation?

Really no need, thank you. My question was about what is automatic native, consequently, what form of acceleration was the native thing using.

it would be possible to instead of the gpu doing that decompression maybe "gpu acceleration"

to create a own decoder 

the decoder is very less cpu intense 

but it would for me only for the h.265 codec, then the others still would be missing (what actually is a big disadvantage)

not to say that the code then has to done the way so its fits into that mpc-hc player 

the reason why a lot of these use SSE2 is that SSE2 has a huge range of CPU´s that can use that, its like a common available hardware acceleration

some can understand this when using that "windows xp heic" en/decoder

the decoder is like instand 

the encoder can take severial minutes only using x86 commands 

the encoder using mmx-avx512 can speed to this like 20-100 times faster

a other big problem even if you have windows 8 the decompression might not be available still because the grafic card dont support that then it would be a GTX700+ to have the "gpu hardware acceleration", probaly why some have choosen SSE2 instead - relativ compatible - many cpu´s that can do that - significant speed boost

so going for a "all codec solution" end up in making a own video player (and all the codecs) ... thats some work to do 

FFMPEG can be used also as video player - that raise exactly this question 

FranceBB actually know about this since he is doing things in that direction, but he hasnt said anything here yet 

12 hours ago, dmiranda said:

For those who have no clue, claim imperial tongue their first (obviously) language, their first a dialect, and can't even comprehend the difference between laf and LAF (I prefer the fifth definition of the urban dictionary https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Laf). Well, stay on topic, boy.

You claim peasant slang to be imperial tongue :buehehe:, well, go on like this, and I might follow this topic, boy.:cheerleader:

5 hours ago, user57 said:

the reason why a lot of these use SSE2 is that SSE2 has a huge range of CPU´s that can use that, its like a common available hardware acceleration

a other big problem even if you have windows 8 the decompression might not be available still because the grafic card dont support that then it would be a GTX700+ to have the "gpu hardware acceleration", probaly why some have choosen SSE2 instead - relativ compatible - many cpu´s that can do that - significant speed boost

Hardware acceleration of 10bit HEVC {H265} is not available throughout the whole 700 series, except 750SE, a super budget, rare and outdated card. It's been explained here. As for 8bit HEVC, no one uses it anymore for encoding, no one, so nothing to play. I actually tried an old film encoded in H265 Main 8, it's choppy with this player.