Latest-ish MPC-HC ported for XP

tirigliu

Hi guys,

Currently running MPC-HC.1.7.13.32 but can't download any subtitles and can't play certain videos that newer MPC-HC can play. I googled for a newer version backported for XP and couldn't find any.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Edited by tirigliu
added more info

Maybe the reason why it can't grab the subtitles is that you don't have the latest SSL encryptions and certificates on your system.

I can find some results from Podnapisi, nothing so far from OpenSubtitles, and SubDB is dead and has been removed from recent MPC.

On 11/8/2023 at 10:49 AM, tirigliu said:

Any ideas?

Using OneCoreApi injection (not installing OneCoreApi on the system), I was able to run MPC-BE version 1.6.6 (a fork of MPC-HC). It has AV1 and AVS3 codecs, but no hardware acceleration, not even for h264. And because VMR7/9 were removed I have to install madVR. But MPC-HC even with OneCoreApi injection could not start.

Edited by ED_Sln

On 11/14/2023 at 1:00 PM, we3fan said:

MPC-HC 2.1.2 for XP:
pixeldrain.com/u/KEawd9co

LAVFilters 0.78.0 for XP:
pixeldrain.com/u/YMzvVDUE

Credits to Maroc@MDL

About MPC-HC 2.1.2:

After playing a video, if I want to play another video or exit the software, I get an error message:

MPC-HC.jpg.60fc52c73bd96d97a46b8f35fe941d10.jpg

Regards

Edited by genieautravail
error

On 11/9/2023 at 11:48 AM, ED_Sln said:

And because VMR7/9 were removed I have to install madVR.

It has a Haali Video Renderer. I think it comes with Haali Media Splitter. It is the only output that works for me under Windows 2008 R2. Unlike Mad, it doesn't have demanding features, and is just a basic output. Haali splitter is good because it allows you to select languages in VOB and AVI in the basic player, and seek in most VOBs accurately.

Isn't it simpler to select films in normal formats like h.264 and use a compatible media player? On WinXP you can't decode CPU-intensive codecs. Even h.264 with CABAC pushes it on Conroe-class processors.

3 hours ago, j7n said:

On WinXP you can't decode CPU-intensive codecs. Even h.264 with CABAC pushes it on Conroe-class processors.

Any system will struggle with decoding CPU-intensive codecs, even h.264 with CABAC on 17 years old Conroe-class processors.

6 hours ago, j7n said:

It has a Haali Video Renderer. I think it comes with Haali Media Splitter.

Yes, you can use Haali Video Renderer, but it has one bug, if the video resolution is close to or equal to the screen resolution, then for some reason the video opens reduced.

6 hours ago, j7n said:

On WinXP you can't decode CPU-intensive codecs. Even h.264 with CABAC pushes it on Conroe-class processors.

No, codecs still optimize, for example on Core 2 Duo E6700 Conroe, 2.66 GHz, you can watch FHD h264, h265 and VP9, only for FHD AV1 lacks performance and it slows down, but 720p goes smoothly.

Edited by ED_Sln

• 1 month later...

Besides, if you have a good gpu, you can get mpc-hc to decode on the gpu. My problem with these last versions of mpc-hc and lav filters is that they are too heavy for my gpus. I use a 1.7.13 mod of mpc-hc and lav filters 0.74 that work as I want them in my set up,after years of progressive tweaking. These new versions exceed my gpu capabilities. I may need to upgrade said gpus, and increase my RAM before truly trying to tweak these versions.

What has changed in CUVID decoding in recent versions? It is indeed more demanding than the old DXVA because they copy the data back into the memory for processing, but simpe DXVA was last available in 1.6.x. New versions only support DXVA2 on Vista+.

In old MPC-HC the chosen renderer output made a difference in CPU usage. There was a weird glitch when playing 60 fps on a 60fps monitor using Overlay Mixer (the lowest demand mode) Over time the computer built up a queue of undisplayed frames (because the video was played at a slightly faster rate than the monitor), and the whole Windows GUI began lagging immensely. I suspect OS would probably crash if playback was left going. Overlay Mixer never dropped any frames and panning was super smooth.