6 hours ago, docR said:

stay away from the place

OMG! Is there a requirement to be that aggressive?

6 hours ago, docR said:

Reddit is likely a better fit for you.

Thank you for letting me using Reddit! What would I do without your permission?! 

6 hours ago, docR said:

do me a solid and stay away from the place.

I wasn't going to, don't worry, I prefer websites with more than 3 active members, but thanks.

Therefore, your site is obviously not an alternative to MSFN.

6 hours ago, docR said:

my own project

You too, and Good Luck with your project!

5 hours ago, Cocodile said:

early 100 bulids

Makes sense since what I have installed on my PC is Chromium 103. I've never upgraded cause later they added that annoying Windows 7 and 8 end of support banner. It's a secondary browser for me anyway

5 hours ago, Cocodile said:

Besides, your site doesn't even support the dark theme.

The default theme DVGFX2 is actually a dark theme. You can change themes in the "style" menu.

IMO it's even too dark for daylight use so I mostly switch to Aero.

<OT>

We are straying quite a bit from the original topic but I will add that I am also a member at Eclec and I did visit Eclec when MSFN was down to see if other both-site-members posted anything in regards to the outage (I didn't see one).

I use the Maxthon theme at Eclec - but even the forum owner wouldn't recognize it on my computer, I love Stylus and hate non-scrolling background images, box shadows, linear gradients, anti-ailasing, dark mode, and forced hardware acceleration - all are disabled on my setup.

I do not get any CPU spike even on Marmaduke Ungoogled v113 on Win10.  This wouldn't be the first web site (new or old browser) where background-images, box shadows, and linear gradients effected performance.

</OT>

Can you send me the Maxthon stylus? I have a half finished abandoned dark mode conversion of it that I'm pretty sure I was working on before Eclecboard was a thing or at least before it was a clone board. The theme actually is somewhat live on the site, you can see it by appending &style=8 to any page on the board, but you can't normally select it.

This post was going to be a lot longer, but I don't feel like going that far OT.

Edited by K4sum1

On 6/10/2023 at 6:19 PM, Dave-H said:

You may be right, but when the MSFN status thread was set up on RyanVM (by dencorso I think) it was a nice place to be able to go and check in with others when MSFN was offline.
Of course it's not essential to have somewhere like that, but I always thought it was a good thing to have.
:)

That's all I was asking about originally.  I wasn't looking for a temporary MSFN replacement.  I didn't think this thread had to go to the extent of "people with opinions" or bashing sites.  Anyway.  If someone were to update Facebook reliably on the MSFN page, that would suit me more than fine.

Edited by Jody Thornton

10 minutes ago, Jody Thornton said:

If someone were to update Facebook reliably on the MSFN page, that would suit me more than fine.

Same here (since login is not required).

I did a Google for "is msfn.org down" during our outage and performing that search just now does show Twitter in the top search results and it does have a "up and running" status message.

The Facebook page also shows up in the top results - but no status message.

I think that's our tell-tale - Twitter is likely the preferred but only our next outage will really tell us (four years to the month between most-recent post and second-to-most-recent post).

12 hours ago, jumper said:

Active threads don't need to be. Bookmark it if you want.

It was just a suggestion, I am not really saying it should be pinned. And I don't mind this topic really much, but I do read the replies here over time.

2 hours ago, Jody Thornton said:

I didn't think this thread had to go to the extent of "people with opinions" or bashing sites.

Eh, I only suggested 1 site, and that was when I misunderstood your topic for the first time I replied here.

4 hours ago, Jody Thornton said:

That's all I was asking about originally.  I wasn't looking for a temporary MSFN replacement.  I didn't think this thread had to go to the extent of "people with opinions" or bashing sites.  Anyway.  If someone were to update Facebook reliably on the MSFN page, that would suit me more than fine.

Yep! I agree. If MSFN is not available for a longer period of time, a status message on Twitter or Facebook would be something useful. :)

Edited by AstroSkipper

• 6 months later...
On 6/12/2023 at 4:45 PM, AstroSkipper said:

Yep! I agree. If MSFN is not available for a longer period of time, a status message on Twitter or Facebook would be something useful. :)

So I went to their official page on Twitter, no status message was shown on Twitter, AstroSkipper, what about Facebook? The same? 

On 6/12/2023 at 12:12 PM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I totally forgot about that alternative.  I'll have to rummage through the desk to even find my login credentials.

That "alternative" is only for those who are banned on MSFN, you aren't banned yet.:lol:

6 hours ago, D.Draker said:

So I went to their official page on Twitter, no status message was shown on Twitter, AstroSkipper, what about Facebook? The same? 

I couldn't find any status messsges on Facebook. It rather seems to be a dead account. Last official messages are from 2019 as far as I could see.

Edited by AstroSkipper

10 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

I couldn't find any status messsges on Facebook. It rather seems to be a dead account. Last official messages are from 2019 as far as I could see.

Thanks! So we are basally back to square one.