Mental Health Awareness Month

Vistapocalypse

1 hour ago, Vistapocalypse said:

It’s not really surprising that this topic didn’t fade away after May 31.

I mean, the fact that it's still open and people can reply to it, of course it will remain active.

Edited by mina7601

I don't often say much but...

This topic should stay open indefinitely because we have no way of knowing how it could help someone. I did not go through all sixteen pages of this topic, but can anyone tell me offhand if resources for someone in crisis are posted within? Again, you never know...

Debby

25 minutes ago, TheBocaDeb said:

if resources for someone in crisis are posted within?

Nope.  It was more of a sarcasm/joking/pun/I'm-bored-let's-post-something thread.

I would suspect their are much better sources for the types of info you reference and that MSFN will not likely become that source.

On 6/15/2023 at 4:16 PM, mina7601 said:

Oh, I wronged you. I apologize for that, please forgive me, I didn't mean to do that. Yes, ima be honest here, it also happened to me here, and happened to another user here.

You didn't.

I'm not sure how much the web browser plays the part, I suspect not much, but I honestly don't care. When you're dealing with software issues all the time, you become apathetic towards them. The only real and permanent solution - throw it all out and smash it to pieces. And I mean all of it, computers in all forms along with the storage media.

On 6/15/2023 at 6:49 PM, Vistapocalypse said:

It’s not really surprising that this topic didn’t fade away after May 31.

I noticed burst in "people going nuts" just about when May ended, like customers at work were crazier than usual and someone robbed the post office in Lendava. And there was news about the other guy that lost his s*** because the girl he was into wasn't returning love. I forgot all about it, he must be young, early 20s at least. Perhaps the reality hasn't hit him yet.

So not all violence is "mental issues", that we have taken from this thread I presume, just old fashioned calculated deliberate purposeful evil. Also the word recently got out about violent incidents from the staff against the patients on the psychiatric clinic located in the craphole called Ljubljana.

I don't know, the history repeats itself, the only thing that will break the cycle is the higher force. A big object from outer space, dare I hope?

On 5/26/2023 at 7:47 PM, AstroSkipper said:

I am a human individual and primarily shaped by my own subjective experiences. And because of my advanced age, I inevitably made a lot of them.

On 5/26/2023 at 8:58 PM, Vistapocalypse said:

I’m surprised to hear that you have “advanced age.” I also suffer from that fatal condition. :huh:

What is considered advanced age for humans? 60+?

Edited by UCyborg

1 hour ago, UCyborg said:

You didn't.

Thank you. Means a lot to me.

BTW, @UCyborg, I made an edit in my post that you replied to, but it's minor, so it won't matter too much, I only added "please forgive me, I didn't mean to do that." to my post when you were replying.

Edited by mina7601

@mina7601
OK, I re-quoted, just in case, but seriously, you're taking this to your heart too much. I wasn't angry or upset at all, I was merely trying to point out one would really have to get out of their way to actually write their post 3 times.:buehehe:

22 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

But many of them have remained young at heart and young in mind. :P

I feel old. Maybe not in a literal sense, but I feel like I've already seen everything that was there to be seen and I'm just waiting for the death to come pick me up.

27 minutes ago, UCyborg said:

@mina7601
OK, I re-quoted, just in case, but seriously, you're taking this to your heart too much. I wasn't angry or upset at all, I was merely trying to point out one would really have to get out of their way to actually write their post 3 times.:buehehe:

Well, I just wanted to make sure you weren't offended by my words. In any case, sorry if i sounded too serious to you, didn't mean to be. I'm glad you weren't angry or upset though. :)

36 minutes ago, UCyborg said:

I feel old. Maybe not in a literal sense, but I feel like I've already seen everything that was there to be seen and I'm just waiting for the death to come pick me up.

My mind is at odds with my age. My body has not been what it used to be for a long time. I give an upvote for the maturing of the spirit, but a downvote for the maturing of the body. :P And waiting for death doesn't really make sense, because the black bird comes all by itself. Instead, delight us with your excellent analyses and your knowledge of the code. :)

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

6 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

My mind is at odds with my age. My body has not been what it used to be for a long time. I give an upvote for the maturing of the spirit, but a downvote for the maturing of the body. :P

Many Americans, particularly those of the postwar “Baby Boom” generation (of which I am a relatively young member), seem to imagine that old age has been conquered, and that there is no such thing as cognitive decline (and therefore no such thing as being too old to run for elected office). I have played chess since I was a youngster and competed in chess tournaments, and I regret to inform my generation that cognitive decline is an inescapable fact of life! Consider that there has never been a world chess champion who was 60 years old, and only four men managed to hang on to the title beyond age 50 (none within the last 60 years). It’s obviously not because we are too feeble to move the chess pieces. Experience? Wisdom? Those things count for next to nothing when confronting a bright young CPU with uncorrupted chess software! They say a picture is worth a thousand words, and there is an image on Twitter that perhaps makes this point more eloquently than I can (although you might not be able to see it using one of those Windows XP browsers):

https://twitter.com/BobbyFischerTru/status/1599805129209049090

While on the topic of mental awareness, mental acuity, cognitive reasoning, postwar generation, et cetera - a small story --

I personally refer to the "Baby Boom" generation as the "Entitlement Starters".

Don't shoot the messenger if this "title" offends, I am not here to offend but share a perspective.  The world is best when we all learn from other's perspectives.  "Walk a mile in my shoes."

If this new title does "offend", you should ask yourself why did you just jump to the defensive?  Don't let that "defense mechanism" of jumping to the defensive blind you from what I am sharing.

First, "you" is a collective pronoun, I direct it towards no one person, it's just a pronoun.

My dad was not a Baby Boomer, he predates that generation by half a decade, but he himself preferred to be lumped in with the Baby Boomer - I was able to break him free from that mindset but it took years, and that's too much to write herein.

He saw politicians spoon-feeding and cradling the Baby Boom generation and he wanted his piece of the pie - in a way, don't we all?

Keeping this "short" will not convey the full picture.  Between dad and I, those conversations revolved around dad not blaming the Gen X generation for the woes of this world, but Gen Y and Millennials.

And he almost always cast that blame with the same choice of words -
    "A kid is not ENTITLED to a trophy just for competing, the winner deserves a trophy, not the loser"
    "Why do kids these days feel they are ENTITLED to their first car being GIVEN to them"
    "What ENTITLES every child above the age of 12 to own a cell phone"
    et cetera, the word ENTITLE was almost ALWAYS embedded in this older generation casting judgment upon the younger generation

I requested dad to keep a notebook at his computer and truly watch television ads over the next week and particularly focus on each and every time he heard the word ENTITLEMENT.

Here in the USA, those commercials were HUGE not that long ago, they are not as huge now because the PEAK of that MOUNTAIN is now BEHIND US.

These commercials were everything from ED pills, to electric scooters, to reclining chairs that help you stand up, to supplemental health insurance programs, to Welfare and Social Security Reform, the list is ENDLESS.

Dad was a chess player also, taught me how to play when I was 5 or 6 and we played frequently right up to his passing year.  So dad had cognitive reasoning.

I asked him to tell me what is the common denominator among all of the television ads using the word ENTITLEMENT.  It took him four days to find the answer despite him constantly wanting me to spoon-feed him that answer, I refused.

He finally got it, all of the ENTITLEMENT ads were TARGETING one specific demographic and it wasn't the Gen Y child wanting a cell phone or a "participation" trophy.

That was only the START of the conversation.  It went of for several months.

It was not the child requesting a participation trophy - it was the Baby Boomer sitting behind the desk in the Athletics Department that created that policy.

It was not the Gen X teacher indoctrinating his grandchildren, it was the Baby Boomer in the Administrative Office indoctrinatinating his grandchildren.

It was not the child feeling entitled to possessing a cell phone - it was the Baby Boomer grandparent giving it to them as if somehow having a lot of "stuff" as a child will make that child's life "better" then what they had when they were that age.

Social Security didn't get to where it's at because of anything that Gen Y did, but because politicians felt the need to spoon-feed an "entitled generation" to buy votes.

I could go on, but anywhoo...  lol

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

3 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

And wait until you have to try to convince one of those postwar folks that they should not be driving a vehicle !!!

Gotcha! You again placed a space before exclamation mark! Why? Are you French? Don't be shy, tell me.

"It's a common typo by French (because in French, there is a white space before a question/exclamation mark)"

https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/4645/is-it-ever-correct-to-have-a-space-before-a-question-or-exclamation-mark