Antimalware, firewall, and other security programs for Windows XP working in 2023 and hopefully beyond

AstroSkipper

42 minutes ago, tekkaman said:
On 10/14/2023 at 8:23 PM, VistaLover said:

... If I were asked :whistle:, I'd definitely say that Panda artificially blocked :angry: their Panda Dome (i.e. Free Antivirus) setup from successfully initiating+completing installation under XP SP2 64-bit; if you download the latest off-line installer (via already provided links) and then open/extract file FREEAV.exe with 7-zip, then you'll find below directories:

FREEAV.exe\System64\drivers\2003\

FREEAV.exe\System64\drivers\XP\

containing 64-bit application drivers for WS 2003 x64/XP x64; why put them there if the application isn't supposed to install under those OSes? :dubbio:The fact those 64-bit drivers exist inside the installer probably explains why forced installation on XP x64 works; as for the app itself after installation, I'll quote AstroSkipper:

Regards :)

Actually Panda didn't work on Windows 7 32 bit for me either. Errors with dot net as well. Anyways you mentioned you got it working on XP64 by installing application verifier and dot net 4.  I never heard of this application verifier. What does it do  ?

You have actually asked the question to the wrong person. @UCyborg got it working on Windows XP 64-bit: Got Panda running on XP x64 And if you had read this thread carefully, you would have noticed that a link was already provided by @WSC4 that explains and documents the Application Verifier programme in detail: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/devtest/application-verifier
First read, then ask is actually the normal and correct way. jexplique.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper

26 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

You have actually asked the question to the wrong person. @UCyborg got it working on Windows XP 64-bit: Got Panda running on XP x64 And if you had read this thread carefully, you would have noticed that a link was already provided by @WSC4 that explains and documents the Application Verifier programme in detail: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/devtest/application-verifier
First read, then ask is actually the normal and correct way. smilie_denk_24.gif

Dude  I read that link. You're only strict sometimes. Anyway, what I wanted to know is from people that actually have that installed in their systems. Since I never heard of this application before. Things like this:

1- Does it run in the background all the time ? Or can you end the process?

2- Do you have to run it before installing before installing Panda ?

3- Does it affect performance in any way ?

Sorry I wasn't more specific.

Edited by tekkaman

It's just a set of static files that don't do anything on their own. Application Verifier that you run from start menu->Programs is nothing more than a plain GUI application to configure in which processes vrfcore.dll is injected (via Image File Execution Options registry settings) by the OS at process startup to do whatever you've set it to do. GUI consumes 0% CPU if inactive and cca. 3 MB of RAM until closed. There's no effect on other applications. Obviously, you have to configure it for Stub.exe and Setup.exe before you run Panda installer, then you delete the settings at after installation so it won't have an effect on any other Setup.exe or Stub.exe you might run in the future for which the intervention by Application Verifier is not desired.

If it wasn't obvious from my previous post, the Panda installer basically works right on XP x64 if you make it think it's running on Windows Vista.

Edited by UCyborg

• 2 weeks later...

Update notification! update.gif

Malware Hunter has been updated on 16.10.2023 and is now available in version 1.173.0.791. It is still listed to be compatible with Windows XP. Accordingly, I will update my article as soon as I can confirm its XP-compatibility.

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper

On 10/17/2023 at 4:54 AM, AstroSkipper said:

You have actually asked the question to the wrong person. @UCyborg got it working on Windows XP 64-bit.  And if you had read this thread carefully, you would have noticed that a link was already provided by @WSC4 that explains and documents the Application Verifier programme in detail.  First read, then ask is actually the normal and correct way. jexplique.gif

I think it was a bit unfair to chide and read the Riot Act to the poster on this.  It was not easy to see the link that I put in and you could easily glance over it.  I have edited my post in the previous page to make it more readable with a better link.

Also, if you are running a monitor in high resolution, the font size on the forum pages is very small and hard to read.  I'm running 2560 x 1440.  Some weeks ago by accident, I looked at the top of the screen and saw this:

Customiser.gif.d41d25d64d67a9a29b0ac55adbdbf076.gif

The Customiser button:  Larger font size for posts?

This is so much better, and I can now cancel my appointment with the optometrist. :-)

Edited by WSC4
Spelling mistake

On 10/29/2023 at 1:26 AM, AstroSkipper said:

Update notification! update.gif

Malware Hunter has been updated on 16.10.2023 and is now available in version 1.173.0.791. It is still listed to be compatible with Windows XP. Accordingly, I will update my article as soon as I can confirm its XP-compatibility.

I have tested Malware Hunter in version 1.173.0.791 on my system, and it is still compatible with Windows XP. Accordingly, I updated my article.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/12/2023 at 8:26 AM, UCyborg said:

Got Panda running on XP x64, you will need to install Application Verifier 4.0. And .NET Framework 4.0 too of course if you don't have it yet, the antivirus' management interface uses it. If you don't update the framework fully, might be a good idea to at least have KB2600211 as well to have some bugs of initial release fixed.

Run Application Verifier (from Application Verifier folder in Programs folder).

File->Add Application, you don't have to browse to any actual file, just type Stub.exe in the File name field and confirm. Repeat the process for Setup.exe.

Edit both entries like so, you don't need Basics, so uncheck it, then check HighVersionLie under Compatibility. Right-click on HighVersionLie->Properties, here you need to put in Windows Vista's info (crazy, I know, it's also funny that MS's own online installer for .NET Framework 4.0 tries to download an update for Windows Vista when executed on XP x64). I was going off MS documentation really quick, so maybe some flag is missing in that Suite mask field, but it'll work for this, I only list fields I changed:

Major version: 6
Build number: 6003
Service pack major: 2
Suite mask: 512
Product type: 1
CSD version: Service Pack 2

Save the changes, run the Panda installer (the official installer pulls the latest version from http://acs.pandasoftware.com/Panda/FREEAV/Promo_pd/FREEAV.exe (thanks @VistaLover), this was version 22.01.01 when this post was revised). First time around, before revising this post, the older 22.00.01 was tried from Major Geeks, there were some trouble with it and it refused to work properly next day.

I only changed (checked) Offline installation option during setup.

After installation is complete, delete entries from Application Verifier and save.

spacer.png

I'm afraid I have had no luck with this in trying to get Panda installed on XP 64-bit.

As promised some weeks ago, I decided to try out all @UCyborg hard work that he put into getting this going.

I started on a bare-bones install of XP 64-bit and installed .NET Framework 4.0.  Then installed all the 16 KB updates for .NET Framework 4.0 that are listed on Windows Update as well as KB2600211.  Rebooted.  Installed Application Verifier 4.0 and applied the instruction for stub.exe and setup.exe

2023-11-2718_06_46-GreenShot.png.c62101b0ab122ed88b4c8d4546d88fe9.png

Ran the Panda installer FREEAV.exe

It still will not get past the Panda windows that states:  .NET Framework 4.0 is needed.  I have double checked and .NET Framework 4.0 Client is Version 4.0.30319  The same with .NET Framework 4.0 Extended.  All the KB updates for .NET 4 are all there and listed in Add Remove Programs.

The only thing I can think of is the rest of the 200 Windows Updates are not installed yet.  I can not see the point in installing these as they have nothing to do with .NET.

Edited by WSC4

2 hours ago, George King said:

Thanks for the information! I personally have never heard of it before. :no: I found a review on MalwareTips Forums which is from 2022 and unfortunately not positive. The author does not recommend this security programme. Here is a link: https://malwaretips.com/threads/huorong-internet-security-2022.119308/ But one review is of course not the world. :P

Yes, It's new for me too. I have downloaded it and installed on offline Windows XP x64 machine. I have not found silent install switch. Installation was fast and in English. UI doesn't looks bad. I will post some screenshots later.

Good is it run on XP, hopefully they not spying a lot.. :D Someone needs to check if there are any hidden connections.

Edited by George King

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=324295.0

Guys, if you don't know, Avast stopped giving definition updates on versions 9/10/11 since November 2023.

It means that non-SSE processors are vulnerable now (10.4.2223 was the last non-SSE version)

@AstroSkipper Please edit our antimalware list.

Dušan Vićić

P.S. Avast is slowly closing in on version 18 definition updates... No announcement yet, but XP will lose Avast antivirus support in 5 years, at best... Version 11 was released in 2016, i think. Damn it.

:(

Edited by Dušan Vićić

On 9/21/2023 at 12:47 PM, AstroSkipper said:

As previously reported, the virus definitions update for Avast Free Antivius 2015 version 10.4.2233.1299 will be discontinued at the end of this summer. This applies to all versions from 9 to 11. See here:
https://blog.avast.com/virus-definition-updates-eol
Therefore, I recommend for all those, who are interested in this version or want to use it later, to download the latest Avast VPS update for versions 9 to 11. Here is the download link: https://install.avcdn.net/ivps9x/vpsupd.exe
At the moment, it is still being updated. Therefore, check regularly until the last version is delivered! :cool:

Cheers, AstroSkipper captain.gif

1 hour ago, Dušan Vićić said:

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=324295.0

Guys, if you don't know, Avast stopped giving definition updates on versions 9/10/11 since November 2023.

It means that non-SSE processors are vulnerable now (10.4.2223 was the last non-SSE version)

@AstroSkipper Please edit our antimalware list.

Dušan Vićić

P.S. Avast is slowly closing in on version 18 definition updates... No announcement yet, but XP will lose Avast antivirus support in 5 years, at best... Version 11 was released in 2016, i think. Damn it.

:(

Hello @Dušan Vićić! As you can see, I already wrote about that. And now, as the end of this summer happened weeks or months ago, Avast stopped delivering definition updates on versions 9/10/11 since November 2023. Thus, I will update my lists in the first posts. Thanks for your reminder! :)

Edited by AstroSkipper

55 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

Hello @Dušan Vićić! As you can see, I already wrote about that. And now, as the end of this summer happened weeks or months ago, Avast stopped delivering definition updates on versions 9/10/11 since November 2023. Thus, I will update my lists in the first posts. Thanks for your reminder! :)

I updated my lists in the second and fourth post of this thread. Then I downloaded the most recent Avast VPS update for versions 9 to 11 which can be found here: https://install.avcdn.net/ivps9x/vpsupd.exe I compared this file to the one from 16.10.2023, and both are identical. Since the middle of October, the Avast VPS offline updater for versions 9 to 11 wasn't renewed anymore.
Thus, I have to say: Avast 2015, rest in peace! mysticmort.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper

14 minutes ago, shelby said:

my avast free trial is going to end soon and i remember that there is an article how to extend it but i don't found it

Hello @shelby! Here is a quotation from Avast:

Newer versions of Avast Free Antivirus will no longer ask you to register, and older versions will keep working even after they've "expired". If you're using Avast Free Antivirus version 7 or older, please use this universal key: W11332244H9900A0420-8MRTR8W5

Source: https://www.avast.com/registration-free-antivirus#pc

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper