Antimalware, firewall, and other security programs for Windows XP working in 2023 and hopefully beyond

AstroSkipper

Just as an off-topic aside, on Windows 98 I'm still running an ancient Trend Micro antivirus program wonderfully named 'PC-cillin' from 2002.
It stopped getting automatic updates over ten years ago, but I can still manually download and install the pattern files even after all that time, which I do every week.
As long as the format of the pattern files does not change of course, there's no reason why you can't do that indefinitely.
:)

41 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

"Having" a definition created SEVERAL YEARS after the "engine" does not indicate that the engine KNOWS WHAT TO DO with that "definition"

On the other hand, Malwarebytes is almost certainly creating a special batch of definitions for version 3.5.1 because they have moved to SHA-2 signing with their recent versions. Are those the definitions that Monroe and Astro are getting, or is there a third batch just for 1.75? AstroSkipper is such a thorough guy, he might be able to determine whether or not the definitions downloaded by 1.75 and 3.5.1 are identical. He might also want to visit AMTSO to see if the real-time protection of the Pro version can pass the drive-by download test, and whether the scan engine can not only detect but also quarantine the EICAR test file. (There was a time when Malwarebytes did not participate in AMTSO, but I believe they do now.) For a real-world test, it shouldn’t be hard to find a freeware installer containing PUPs. Malwarebytes was always very good at removing those!

1 hour ago, Dixel said:

Def. update is a blob in the format they previously used, just added new known vulnerabilities, collected during these years.

.>>> Could you please not use CAPSLOCK, at least not that often, thanks.

Yep! No problem using most recent definition updates for an old version as long as the format is compatible. :yes:

PS: I agree capitalisation is annoying, hard to read, and actually means shouting in forums. Therefore, it is considered impolite. smilie_denk_24.gif

2 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Just as an off-topic aside, on Windows 98 I'm still running an ancient Trend Micro antivirus program wonderfully named 'PC-cillin' from 2002.
It stopped getting automatic updates over ten years ago, but I can still manually download and install the pattern files even after all that time, which I do every week.
As long as the format of the pattern files does not change of course, there's no reason why you can't do that indefinitely.
:)

That's absolutely correct! Another, nice example is SpywareBlaster 4.6 which was the last version compatible with Windows ME. Updating of the definition files stopped when the version 5.0 was released. The most recent version is 6.0. When updating the definition files in SpywareBlaster 6.0 under Windows XP, they can be used in the version 4.6 under Windows ME without any problems. :thumbup :P BTW, SpywareBlaster is on my internal list, and I will write an article about it soon. :yes:

The versions v1, v2 and v3 of Malwarebytes each have different formats in which the virus definitions are stored. Although MBAM v1 and v2 store the virus definitions in the file rules.ref, these files still differ. MBAM v3 has completely different files for storing virus definition called rules.mbdb, and additionally the files wprot.mbdb and wprot2.mbdb. In any case, their virus definitions cannot be exchanged among each other. :no:

Cheers, AstroSkipper petitcafe.gif

On 7/19/2023 at 9:04 AM, Monroe said:

Well good news or bad news ... over at the Malwarebytes forum dealing with v1.75.0.1300 ... someone is reporting about all this here at MSFN and v1.75.0.1300 able to get updates again. Nothing has been posted there for three years until 4 hours ago.

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/262745-definition-updates-failing-v17501300/

I wonder where all this will be going. The poster uses the term 'A couple of Windows XP diehards at the MSFN forum (their last stronghold)' ... doesn't sound too friendly. I hope doors won't be kicked in as these 'last Windows XP diehards' are hunted down and their computers are destroyed with sledge hammers. We shall see and I hope they won't stop future updates for v1.75.0.1300.

Go to the last post.

The programme Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is great piece of software. Although the old versions have slightly worse detection rates than some other programmes of this type, they run perfectly under Windows XP. I've written two detailed articles about different versions of  Malwarebytes Anti-Malware in this thread now, and I've only spread positive things. And what do you read about it in the Malwarebytes forum?

A couple of Windows XP diehards at the MSFN forum (their last stronghold)

The guy who posted this is one of many on the Malwarebytes forum who, for whatever reason, hate Windows XP or Windows Vista and their users. Instead of being happy that their programme is appreciated and maintained, only snide remarks, ridicule and scorn. :realmad: This guy should be so ashamed of himself. :blushing:
(Edit: In the meanwhile, he offered me his apology, which I accepted. :))
I am also a member of this "friendly" forum, and I've been really upset with this forum for a long time now, which is not doing a good service to the Malwarebytes product and potential users. :realmad: A few months ago, I had a bad experience myself in this forum and spoke plainly. I reported about it in the old antivirus thread. Here is the relevant thread from the Malwarebytes forum: https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/296406-windows-xp-does-not-have-lifetime-support/#comment-1561223 Anyway! Here, you can read my reply to this nice comment: https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/262745-definition-updates-failing-v17501300/?do=findComment&comment=1578365

Cheers, AstroSkipper smilie_emo_020.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

3 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

is annoying, hard to read, and actually means shouting in forums.

Use of bold every other word seems a bit unorthodox, while we are micromanaging everybody's typing.  Clique this.  Click that.

Regarding Malwarebytes, has anyone demonstrated if v1.75 definitions come from a different IP/Server than v3?

40 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Use of bold every other word seems a bit unorthodox, while we are micromanaging everybody's typing.  Clique this.  Click that.

:OT
Bold type and capitalisation are completely different things. But you should already know that because I told you long time ago, and not only once. smilie_denk_24.gif
:End of OT

40 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Regarding Malwarebytes, has anyone demonstrated if v1.75 definitions come from a different IP/Server than v3?

I don't think so. But it can be easily investigated if someone is interested in. :P

Edited by AstroSkipper

In other news, you're right, reading through that Malwarebytes forum has a lot of XP Hate.

Only makes me stick to my guns and use XP all the more.

Some form of "reverse psychology", if one truly wants to rid the world of XP, caps, or BOLD, tell everyone how much you LOVE it and then they won't dig in their heals.  :)

Clique this.  Click that.

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

5 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

In other news, you're right, reading through that Malwarebytes forum has a lot of XP Hate.

Only makes me stick to my guns and use XP all the more.

There are also unexpected twists and turns that hold a glimmer of hope. :P Here is the reply to my post in the Malearebytes Forumhttps://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/262745-definition-updates-failing-v17501300/?do=findComment&comment=1578382 

4 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

The versions v1, v2 and v3 of Malwarebytes each have different formats in which the virus definitions are stored. Although MBAM v1 and v2 store the virus definitions in the file rules.ref, these files still differ. MBAM v3 has completely different files for storing virus definition called rules.mbdb, and additionally the files wprot.mbdb and wprot2.mbdb. In any case, their virus definitions cannot be exchanged among each other. :no:

That’s very interesting because it sounds like Malwarebytes really is making a special batch of definitions for version 1.75. Perhaps that version was particularly popular with their paid business customers? (Although we consumers are admonished to upgrade our software at every turn, businesses often use surprisingly old software.)

I also tried to reactivate Malwarebytes Anti-Malware v2, but every time I wanted to update the virus definitions, I got the message: "Unable to access update server". The reason seems to be a certificate problem. This is the official statement:

The cause is due to a recent build certificate that needed to be updated for all of our current software. The older versions of the software don't support adding the new certificate.

For fun, I also tried a connection via my TLS 1.3 proxy, unfortunately also without any success. The version I tried was Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.2.1.1043. The last database version was apparently 2022.5.20.4.
Rest in peace! mysticmort.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

SpyBot - Search & Destroy Free Edition

SpyBot - Search & Destroy Free Edition is an on-demand anti-spyware scanner. It searches your hard disk for all known types of spyware, adware and potentially unwanted programs. It offers powerful features to remove these threats and thus protect your privacy. It automatically detects: adware networks, attempts at host redirection, registry modifications, and unwanted changes in the browser configuration of Internet Explorer and Firefox. If an attempt is made to redirect your computer to a different Domain Name Server without your permission, Spybot can detect and stop this happening. It also protects your privacy by removing these tracks. SpyBot - Search & Destroy 2.4.40.0 is the last compatible version with Windows XP (and Vista) and free of charge. It still receives latest definition updates in these days as reported by @Cixert. :yes:

Comparison of features:

Compare-I-Spybot-Search-Destroy-24-07-20

Homepage:

https://web.archive.org/web/20140703163113/https://www.safer-networking.org/

https://web.archive.org/web/20140701051907/http://www.safer-networking.org/private/details/#Free

Version number: 2.4.40.0

Date of creation: 24.06.2014

Date of release: 01.07.2014

System requirements: Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8

Compatibility-I-Spybot-Search-Destroy-24

Release notes: https://www.safer-networking.org/new-spybot-2-4-fixes-several-updating-problems/

Review: https://softchamp.com/download-spybot-search-and-destroy

Download links:

Installer:

http://updates3.safer-networking.org/spybot1/spybot-2.4.exe

Offline updater for antispyware definitions:

https://www.safer-networking.org/updates/files/spybotsd_includes.exe

Instructions for offline updating:

• Apply the executable spybotsd_includes.exe.
  • Select the programme folder of Spybot – Search & Destroy.
  • The files will be added to the Includes folder within the Spybot program folder.

Screenshots:

spybot-2-4-en.jpg

spybot-1.jpg

spybot-2.jpg

spybot-3.jpg

spybot-4.jpg

spybot-5.jpg

spybot-6.jpg

SpyBot - Search & Destroy was written by the German software engineer Patrick Michael Kolla, and is distributed by Kolla's Irish company Safer-Networking Limited. I used SpyBot - Search & Destroy a long time under Windows ME and some years under Windows XP. It served me well in those days. Thanks to @Cixert for reporting that SpyBot - Search & Destroy 2.4.40.0 is the last version which still receives definition updates in 2023! ssupercool2.gif

Cheers, AstroSkipper ecrire-ordi.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content