Startup Managers under Windows XP

AstroSkipper

On 4/13/2023 at 2:41 PM, AstroSkipper said:

I also used to use Autoruns 13.98 as my main start-up manager. Nowadays, I only use it to get an overview of all entries of programs, services and drivers that are started when booting, and to delete obsolete remnants. smilie_denk_24.gif

I also use it to get rid of some functions I don't use, or that I want to cripple, for instance rdclip and Internet Explorer Version Update. I've long wanted to uncheck a few more in the attached image, but I've been lazy to test

Noname.png

10 hours ago, dmiranda said:

I also use it to get rid of some functions I don't use, or that I want to cripple, for instance rdclip and Internet Explorer Version Update. I've long wanted to uncheck a few more in the attached image, but I've been lazy to test

Noname.png

Autoruns is one of the rare tools to get a complete list of all important entries in terms of autostart programs, services, drivers, tasks, handlers, codecs and so on, sorted by categories. To be honest, I never felt the need to remove such entries shown in your screenshot. Any regular entries will stay in my system as they are. For me, Autoruns is a perfect tool in finding remnants of already uninstalled programs or services. I use it regularly for this purpose and for additional control. PasserAspirateur.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper

On 4/8/2023 at 2:38 AM, AstroSkipper said:
On 4/5/2023 at 7:32 PM, AstroSkipper said:

I actually created this thread because I have a problem with Glarysoft's Quick Startup. I deliberately kept the title of this thread a bit more general so that any software recommendations or problems with Startup Managers can be posted here in the future.

Now to my problem. I have two Windows XP system partitions, both with the operating system Windows XP Professional SP3 with all existing updates installed. All POSReady updates were also installed on one partition, but not on the other. In both partitions, Glarysoft's Quick Startup has been installed. Unfortunately, I have now an issue with Quick Startup in the partition with all POSReady updates. Although this issue is a minor one, maybe one of you can confirm this strange behaviour or help me to solve it. In the main program window, Quick Startup is not able to separate the application services from the Windows sevices. All of them are listed under the column application services. In the partition without POSReady updates, Quick Startup does not produce this issue. Application and Windows services are separated correctly. Here are two screenshot to demonstrate this issue:

First, a screenshot of Glary Utilities' embedded Startup Manager without this issue taken from the partition without POSReady updates:

Quick-Startup-XPA.png

And here is a screenshot of Quick Startup with this issue taken from the partition with all POSReady updates:

Quick-Startup-XPS.png

I already tried a lot to solve this misbehaviour. TBH, I assume that this issue has anything to do with the POSReady updates. :dubbio:
Any confirmation and of course tips for solving this would be much appreciated! :yes:

Kind regards, AstroSkipper drwurmdin.gif 

PS: (Da ist der Wurm drin! Translated literally: There's the worm in it! - meaning:  There’s something very wrong with it!)

On 4/5/2023 at 8:29 PM, AstroSkipper said:

Just for clarification, I am primarily interested in confirmation or the opposite that this error also occurs with others or not,  under POSReady updates installed and if possible on a real Windows XP machine as I use it, for reasons of comparison. If you already use Glary Utilities (5.203.0.232) under Windows XP SP3 POSready, you do not need to install Glarysoft's Quick Startup. You just have to open its embedded Startup Manager. However, if this error does not occur with others, I would have a much bigger problem. interroge.gif But I cannot imagine that, and I do not hope so, of course. Therefore please, provide information about your experiences! The more, the better! ssuper5sur5.gif Thanks in advance! :)

To all real (no VM) Windows XP SP3 (32 Bit) Professional POSReady users! mevoila.gif

Is anyone else here in the forum who can or can't confirm this issue described in the quoted posts? bodyguard.gif

smilie_a_011.gif smilie_xyz_006.gif

I am still interested in a confirmation in terms of the issue described in the quoted posts above to decide whether it is POSReady related or not. This request is addressed to all members using a real (no VMWindows XP SP3 (32 Bit) Professional, fully updated including all POSReady Updates. Or am I the only real XP (32 Bit) user here? embarras1.gif c051.gif Thanks in advance!

Greetings, AstroSkipper putertired.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2023 at 3:21 PM, AstroSkipper said:
On 4/8/2023 at 2:38 AM, AstroSkipper said:
On 4/5/2023 at 7:32 PM, AstroSkipper said:

I actually created this thread because I have a problem with Glarysoft's Quick Startup. I deliberately kept the title of this thread a bit more general so that any software recommendations or problems with Startup Managers can be posted here in the future.

Now to my problem. I have two Windows XP system partitions, both with the operating system Windows XP Professional SP3 with all existing updates installed. All POSReady updates were also installed on one partition, but not on the other. In both partitions, Glarysoft's Quick Startup has been installed. Unfortunately, I have now an issue with Quick Startup in the partition with all POSReady updates. Although this issue is a minor one, maybe one of you can confirm this strange behaviour or help me to solve it. In the main program window, Quick Startup is not able to separate the application services from the Windows sevices. All of them are listed under the column application services. In the partition without POSReady updates, Quick Startup does not produce this issue. Application and Windows services are separated correctly. Here are two screenshot to demonstrate this issue:

First, a screenshot of Glary Utilities' embedded Startup Manager without this issue taken from the partition without POSReady updates:

Quick-Startup-XPA.png

And here is a screenshot of Quick Startup with this issue taken from the partition with all POSReady updates:

Quick-Startup-XPS.png

I already tried a lot to solve this misbehaviour. TBH, I assume that this issue has anything to do with the POSReady updates. :dubbio:
Any confirmation and of course tips for solving this would be much appreciated! :yes:

Kind regards, AstroSkipper drwurmdin.gif 

PS: (Da ist der Wurm drin! Translated literally: There's the worm in it! - meaning:  There’s something very wrong with it!)

On 4/5/2023 at 8:29 PM, AstroSkipper said:

Just for clarification, I am primarily interested in confirmation or the opposite that this error also occurs with others or not,  under POSReady updates installed and if possible on a real Windows XP machine as I use it, for reasons of comparison. If you already use Glary Utilities (5.203.0.232) under Windows XP SP3 POSready, you do not need to install Glarysoft's Quick Startup. You just have to open its embedded Startup Manager. However, if this error does not occur with others, I would have a much bigger problem. interroge.gif But I cannot imagine that, and I do not hope so, of course. Therefore please, provide information about your experiences! The more, the better! ssuper5sur5.gif Thanks in advance! :)

To all real (no VM) Windows XP SP3 (32 Bit) Professional POSReady users! mevoila.gif

Is anyone else here in the forum who can or can't confirm this issue described in the quoted posts? bodyguard.gif

smilie_a_011.gif smilie_xyz_006.gif

I am still interested in a confirmation in terms of the issue described in the quoted posts above to decide whether it is POSReady related or not. This request is addressed to all members using a real (no VMWindows XP SP3 (32 Bit) Professional, fully updated including all POSReady Updates. Or am I the only real XP (32 Bit) user here? embarras1.gif c051.gif Thanks in advance!

Greetings, AstroSkipper putertired.gif

Apparently, I am really the only real Windows XP user, or no one is willing to do a 5 minute test as described above. embarras1.gif TBH, both options are a bit tragical, unfortunately. albert.gif

On 4/22/2023 at 8:21 AM, AstroSkipper said:

This request is addressed to all members using a real (no VMWindows XP SP3 (32 Bit) Professional, fully updated including all POSReady Updates. Or am I the only real XP (32 Bit) user here?

You EXCLUDED me the moment you included POSReady Updates.  (ie, it's not a "5 minute test" if I have to violate my principles, hack my registry, install all POSReady Updates, then report on Glarysoft's Quick Startup)

If you want to be technical (at least in my view, likely not yours, lol), you are only a "real" XP user if you did not "patch" it to enable POSReady.

I am a REAL XP user, I'm not talking VMs though I run XP in VMs also.

x64 on this desktop machine, x86 on my secondary desktop machine.  I have abandoned XP on my "fairly new" laptops and all of them run Win10 LTSB 2016.

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

7 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

You EXCLUDED me the moment you included POSReady Updates.  (ie, it's not a "5 minute test" if I have to violate my principles, hack my registry, install all POSReady Updates, then report on Glarysoft's Quick Startup)

If you want to be technical (at least in my view, likely not yours, lol), you are only a "real" XP user if you did not "patch" it to enable POSReady.

I am a REAL XP user, I'm not talking VMs though I run XP in VMs also.

x64 on this desktop machine, x86 on my secondary desktop machine.  I have abandoned XP on my "fairly new" laptops and all of them run Win10 LTSB 2016.

When I say a real XP user, I mean using Windows XP on real hardware and no VM. I need a confirmation from a user with Windows XP SP3 fully updated including all POSReady updates as my issue appears only under this condition. I just want to find out if my partition or the Glarysoft Startup Manager has a problem. You do not have POSReady updates installed in your system, so you're out. Sorry! smilie_denk_24.gifBut thanks for your reply! :) And of course, you are a real XP user, too. :P

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

26 minutes ago, tekkaman said:

I'm a real XP user :P But of  the 64bit version. I never tried the POSReady updates since I think they are meant for the 32 bit version.

Hooray! houra.gif There are still real Windows XP users here in the Windows XP Forum. Now we are already three! @NotHereToPlayGames, @tekkaman and @AstroSkipper. Even if that doesn't really help me now, I'm still glad to hear something like that. ssupercool2.gif

We are definitely a dying bread.  There are more than three of us.

I think what a lot of visitors forget is that XP today is a lot like 98 x-number of years ago.

By that I mean that 7 and 10 folks don't visit 98 threads and remind them that they run an insecure OS - but they will to an XP thread.

Makes no sense to me.

Well, the year is 2023 and Windows XP was released in 2001. Perhaps you are living in the wrong period? Though there is only one sure way through time and that is forward.

Thinking back now, I think I exaggerated when I wrote that post here...

...the part about Mozart and DOOM.

I guess generally more or less things from the person's own period is used. How much stuff from 1920 do you use? Additionally, and this is important, we're living in a time where these things develop rapidly, unlike when nothing changed in the person's entire lifetime.

Anyway, is there a technical reason one should expect different results when Glarysoft's Quick Startup is running on XP that runs on bare hardware versus under a virtualizer?

45 minutes ago, UCyborg said:

Perhaps you are living in the wrong period?

Unfortunately, I have no choice! I would like to visit the past with a time machine.

48 minutes ago, UCyborg said:

Anyway, is there a technical reason one should expect different results when Glarysoft's Quick Startup is running on XP that runs on bare hardware versus under a virtualizer?

I think so but I don't want to discuss that here. Anyway! I just wanted to find out if anybody else noticed this issue. For comparison reason, I would prefer a testing on a real machine, no VM. Just to find out whether Glarysoft behaves differently with vs. without POSReady updates.

3 hours ago, UCyborg said:

Well, the year is 2023 and Windows XP was released in 2001.

That's one way to date XP.  But I think of XP as being from 2008 because that's when SP3 was released.  Unsure when the last official (non-POSReady) hotfix rolled out - 2014? 2017? Don't recall.

Ubuntu users don't define their OS as being released in 2004, do they?

I'm not even sure how to "date" Win 10.  I kind of think of the different versions of Win 10 as "service packs".  Potato, potahto (phonetics saying in the US).