Startup Managers under Windows XP

AstroSkipper

Quick Startup is a stand-alone Startup Manager from Glarysoft. It cleans up the autostart function under Windows. The free tool identifies those programs that are started when Windows is booted or when the user logs on. The programs, scheduled tasks, plug-ins, application services and Windows services in their startup locations are then clearly listed in tabs. You can activate or deactivate the respective entry via sliders. Glarysoft's Quick Startup also lists a short description and a rating for each element. Changes can be undone via a button. This tool offers additionally the possibility to start programs (not services) delayed which do only a few. It is free of charge and also part of the Glary Utilities where it is simply called Startup Manager. It is fully XP-compatible. I can definitely recommend this tool. ssupercool2.gif All features work as advertised. In my opinion, one of the best startup managers I am aware of.
Here is its homepage: https://www.glarysoft.com/quick-startup/
Download link: https://download.glarysoft.com/qssetup.exe
The current version is 5.20.1.185 and also embedded in Glary Utilities 5.203.0.232.

Cheers, AstroSkipper putercatf.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

I actually created this thread because I have a problem with Glarysoft's Quick Startup. I deliberately kept the title of this thread a bit more general so that any software recommendations or problems with Startup Managers can be posted here in the future.

Now to my problem. I have two Windows XP system partitions, both with the operating system Windows XP Professional SP3 with all existing updates installed. All POSReady updates were also installed on one partition, but not on the other. In both partitions, Glarysoft's Quick Startup has been installed. Unfortunately, I have now an issue with Quick Startup in the partition with all POSReady updates. Although this issue is a minor one, maybe one of you can confirm this strange behaviour or help me to solve it. In the main program window, Quick Startup is not able to separate the application services from the Windows sevices. All of them are listed under the column application services. In the partition without POSReady updates, Quick Startup does not produce this issue. Application and Windows services are separated correctly. Here are two screenshot to demonstrate this issue:

First, a screenshot of Glary Utilities' embedded Startup Manager without this issue taken from the partition without POSReady updates:

Quick-Startup-XPA.png

And here is a screenshot of Quick Startup with this issue taken from the partition with all POSReady updates:

Quick-Startup-XPS.png

I already tried a lot to solve this misbehaviour. TBH, I assume that this issue has anything to do with the POSReady updates. :dubbio:
Any confirmation and of course tips for solving this would be much appreciated! :yes:

Kind regards, AstroSkipper drwurmdin.gif 

PS: (Da ist der Wurm drin! Translated literally: There's the worm in it! - meaning:  There’s something very wrong with it!)

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

16 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

I actually created this thread because I have a problem with Glarysoft's Quick Startup. I deliberately kept the title of this thread a bit more general so that any software recommendations or problems with Startup Managers can be posted here in the future.
Now to my problem. I have two Windows XP system partitions, both with the operating system Windows XP Professional SP3 with all existing updates installed. All POSReady updates were also installed on one partition, but not on the other. In both partitions, Glarysoft's Quick Startup has been installed. Unfortunately, I have now an issue with Quick Startup in the partition with all POSReady updates. Although this issue is a minor one, maybe one of you can confirm this strange behaviour or help me to solve it. In the main program window, Quick Startup is not able to separate the application services from the Windows sevices. All of them are listed under the column application services. In the partition without POSReady updates, Quick Startup does not produce this issue. Application and Windows services are separated correctly. Here are two screenshot to demonstrate this issue:

First, a screenshot of Quick Startup without this issue taken from the partition without POSReady updates:

Quick-Startup-XPA.png

And here is a screenshot of Quick Startup with this issue taken from the partition with all POSReady updates:

Quick-Startup-XPS.png

I already tried a lot to solve this misbehaviour. TBH, I assume that this issue has anything to do with the POSReady updates.
Any confirmation and of course tips for solving this would be much appreciated! :yes:

Kind regards, AstroSkipper drwurmdin.gif 

PS: (Da ist der Wurm drin! Translated literally: There's the worm in it! - meaning:  There’s something very wrong with it!)

Just for clarification, I am primarily interested in confirmation or the opposite that this error also occurs with others or not,  under POSReady updates installed and if possible on a real Windows XP machine as I use it, for reasons of comparison. If you already use Glary Utilities (5.203.0.232) under Windows XP SP3 POSready, you do not need to install Glarysoft's Quick Startup. You just have to open its embedded Startup Manager. However, if this error does not occur with others, I would have a much bigger problem. interroge.gif But I cannot imagine that, and I do not hope so, of course. Therefore please, provide information about your experiences! The more, the better! ssuper5sur5.gif Thanks in advance! :)

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

I will update my XP SP3 VM with all POSReady updates and install Glarysoft's Quick Startup there, and then see if it happens or not, and then I will let you know.

Edited by mina7601

And here is a general tip for all those who already use or want to use such a startup manager. Because of the different ways in which these programs manage startup entries, only one should be used at a time. If you change your startup manager, all manipulations of the startup entries must be reset before uninstallation, otherwise some could suddenly be lost. 
deletesmiley3.gif

Cheers, gif_23.gifAstroSkipper

Edited by AstroSkipper

Hello @AstroSkipper! I installed POSReady updates in my XP SP3 VM, installed Glarysoft's Quick Startup, ran it there, and I don't have the problem you are facing. Quick Startup is able to separate the application services from Windows services normally, at least to me.

QD1-Ku-IKry3.png

Glarysoft is located in Beijing, Beijing, China

https://www.crunchbase.com › organization › glarysoft

SONG, Hongjie

4#809,Fuhai, Center,, Large Liushu Road Haidian District, Beijing, China, 100081

Role

Director

Date of birth

January 1977

Appointed on

27 January 2010

Nationality

Chinese

Country of residence

China

Occupation

Director

According to GOV.UK - the Company was dissolved on 28th of May 2019

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/07138127

4 hours ago, D.Draker said:

Glarysoft is located in Beijing, Beijing, China

https://www.crunchbase.com › organization › glarysoft

SONG, Hongjie

4#809,Fuhai, Center,, Large Liushu Road Haidian District, Beijing, China, 100081

Role

Director

Date of birth

January 1977

Appointed on

27 January 2010

Nationality

Chinese

Country of residence

China

Occupation

Director

According to GOV.UK - the Company was dissolved on 28th of May 2019

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/07138127

And how does this information help me solve my problem? scratch-one-s-head.gif BTW, I do not have any problem with Chinese software in general as I already mentioned occasionally in different threads. smilie_denk_24.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper

3 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

And how does this information help me solve my problem? scratch-one-s-head.gif BTW, I do not have any problem with Chinese software in general as I already mentioned occasionally in different threads. smilie_denk_24.gif

Could be some sort of a time bomb because the company dissolved itself 4 years ago. I had some similar weirdness in the past . Another question, who still runs the website, if the company dissolved itself ? Perhaps they just re-registered themselves back to China, after years of being in GB !??! Too many questions to risk with it. And one more to add - I'm blocked on their website with my REAL French IP ! Why !??!? 

Too many questions.

33 minutes ago, D.Draker said:

Could be some sort of a time bomb because the company dissolved itself 4 years ago. I had some similar weirdness in the past . Another question, who still runs the website, if the company dissolved itself ? Perhaps they just re-registered themselves back to China, after years of being in GB !??! Too many questions to risk with it. And one more to add - I'm blocked on their website with my REAL French IP ! Why !??!? 

Too many questions.

I have been using Glary Utilities for many, many years. I have a lifetime license for the Professional version. It receives updates on a very regular base. I never noticed any security problems, risks or strange behaviour. All my programs are controlled by a very good firewall called Windows 10 Firewall Control from Sphinx. I couldn't observe any hidden or unusual activities by Glarysoft. In GermanyGlary Utilities is recommended on most German websites and reviewed as a good, working suite of Windows tools from the very first time. If such activities or spy code had existed or would exist, this software would have been torn apart in Germany. :yes:

But to be honest, all of that is completely off-topic. I created this thread to talk about Startup Managers. So please back on topic! And I need more confirmations in terms of my problem described in my previous posts. :)

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

3 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

But to be honest, all of that is completely off-topic. I created this thread to talk about Startup Managers. So please back on topic! And I need more confirmations in terms of my problem described in my previous posts. :)

This is indeed very ON-topic - since I can't even visit the link you provided ! Not to mention the download is also blocked . I find it strange ! Here, take a look at the screengrab.

Forbidden_20230407.png

54 minutes ago, D.Draker said:

This is indeed very ON-topic - since I can't even visit the link you provided ! Not to mention the download is also blocked . I find it strange ! Here, take a look at the screengrab.

Forbidden_20230407.png

No problem here! I never had a problem to access this website with a German IP:no: Maybe, your internet service provider or your goverment is blocking it. Use a German IP, and you will see! BTW, I often noticed problems if I try to access certain sites by using a French IP via VPN. In your country, there seems to exist more restrictions in terms of internet and French IPs are more often blocked on certain sites for whatever reasons. Maybe, I'm also wrong, and it was just coincidence.  grattermenton.gif It's just my impression whenever I use a French IP, via VPN, of course! smilie_denk_24.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

11 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Which version, size, and date of the file ntdll.dll do you have in the subfolder system32 of your Windows XP installation? :dubbio:

Greetings.

Version is 5.1.2600.7682, size is 703 KB (704 on disk) and date is April 14, 2008.

Edited by mina7601

40 minutes ago, mina7601 said:

Greetings

Dito!

40 minutes ago, mina7601 said:

Version is 5.1.2600.7682, size is 703 KB (704 on disk) and date is April 14, 2008.

Good, that's what I thought! Your system has not been completely updated with regard to POSReady. Because if it was, you would have to have ntdll.dll version 5.1.2600.7682 dated 19/03/2019 with a file size of 720,384 bytes. Seems like your Windows XP doesn't really have POSReady updates or at least not all of them. See the following link for the update KB4493563 in question: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/description-of-the-security-update-for-the-remote-code-execution-vulnerability-in-windows-embedded-posready-2009-april-9-2019-134ccc9d-2ffc-02f0-5df9-04ba050f3047 
So I'm not at all surprised that Quick Startup works properly for you. :cool: Now, it would be very interesting to know what happens when all POSReady updates have been installed, especially KB4493563question.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content