Last Version of Software for Windows 8.1

xedakide

On 8/30/2023 at 4:34 PM, Cockatiel said:

Firefox 118 beta 2 even works on Windows 8.0 (I will post later the guide how to make it work) ff118b2.thumb.PNG.c3099c63275cd2ab07923f1a54460a8b.PNG

Here is a guide how to make Firefox 118 beta 2 work on 8.0:

1. Install Explorer Suite (which includes CFF Explorer): https://ntcore.com/?page_id=388

2. Download the exe installer from this site: https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/118.0b2/win64/en-US/Firefox Setup 118.0b2.exe (the only version that I tested, but that should work on FF 116/117 too)

3. Extract it via 7-Zip

4. Open all exe files located in core folder using CFF Explorer

5. In Optional Header change MajorOperatingSystemVersion and MajorSubsystemVersion from A to 6 (and repeat that to all exe files that have set those aforementioned versions as A)

6. Save them

7. Copy this dll file to Firefox folder

8. Open Firefox, and voila, you got working Firefox 118 beta 2

api-ms-win-shcore-scaling-l1-1-1.dll

On 7/13/2023 at 6:58 PM, yoltboy01 said:

So, new news:

- Chrome 114 works, but 115 crashes for me (there are forks like Supermium or CatsXP that are based on 115 but I haven't tested them, so I cannot recommend them)

Thanx for the info! So I finally decided to try Catxsp, because Supermium is not portable, and guess what, I can't even start 117 or any later builds of 116. The last that worked is the early build of 116 Beta (it's now deleted from the site). Could you please check on Windows 7 and simple 8.0, thank you!

2 hours ago, Cocodile said:

Thanx for the info! So I finally decided to try Catxsp, because Supermium is not portable, and guess what, I can't even start 117 or any later builds of 116. The last that worked is the early build of 116 Beta (it's now deleted from the site). Could you please check on Windows 7 and simple 8.0, thank you!

That's surprising, in fact the site for Catsxp still claims it's supported for Win7+. 

Is Opera Developer and Opera GX working on Windows 8.x with the same method as main Opera?

4 hours ago, BW134 said:

That's surprising, in fact the site for Catsxp still claims it's supported for Win7+. 

Is Opera Developer and Opera GX working on Windows 8.x with the same method as main Opera?

To clarify a few things: I haven't tested anything on Windows 7, only on 8.1, and from what I know the latest Opera (tested yesterday) works fine on Windows 8.1. As I had already discussed with @D.Draker Opera is probably just lagging behind in adjusting changes to the browser. In this particular case it's good for us, as we can use a browser, which is based on the latest Chrome right now. 

Chrome and Chromium themselves do not work on Windows 8.1 anymore since the release of v115. The last version of Google Chrome to work on Windows 8.1 was 114. Chromium based alternatives are: Supermium, CatsXP, Vivaldi and Opera (there might be others too but I tested these). Supermium isn't updated as frequently as the others are but is the closest to resemble the Chromium browser optically. 

I would recommend any active 8.1 user to switch to Firefox instead, as long as they don't break compatibility with 8.1. Even Windows Vista ran Firefox 115 ESR, although it ended with 52. I am optimistic to say the least but I wouldn't bet my money on Mozilla not adding any dll or function from Windows 10+ that will eventually break 8.1 support anytime soon. Best scenario would be if 8.1 made it till the release of the next ESR. That would at least guarentee another year of promised security updates. However, the next ESR will be v128 and that version is set to release in May-July 2024. Support could crack wayy earlier. If that happens, use 115 ESR instead.

On 9/8/2023 at 3:03 PM, BW134 said:

What they claim, no one should trust. I remember Opera in 2016 did the same, promises, promises. I agree with @D.Drakerand @yoltboy01, and the fact it still works, is just some random matter.

On 9/8/2023 at 7:25 PM, yoltboy01 said:

I would recommend any active 8.1 user to switch to Firefox instead

I rather afraid of this. And I trust @Mr.Scienceman2000 and @Dixel. Not saying I don't trust you, perhaps you just missed the facts.

https://msfn.org/board/topic/183138-mozilla-and-firefox-has-turned-into-evil-and-lie-to-their-userbase-leave-it-and-go-for-alternatives/

23 hours ago, Cocodile said:

I rather afraid of this. And I trust @Mr.Scienceman2000 and @Dixel. Not saying I don't trust you, perhaps you just missed the facts.

https://msfn.org/board/topic/183138-mozilla-and-firefox-has-turned-into-evil-and-lie-to-their-userbase-leave-it-and-go-for-alternatives/

Yeah I won't lie, I missed that post. Regardless of Firefox itself, other Gecko based browsers like Waterfox, which claims to be more privacy focused with no telemetry, might work on 8.1 for a longer time as well. You can obviously choose to use the browser you want. All I ment is that Firefox (-based browers) will be safer than Chrome after October, as Mozilla has extended 7/8 support till late 2024. Currently, it is harder to find/build a Chromium browser, based on the latest version, than to modify Firefox to work on 8.1

Edited by yoltboy01

3 hours ago, yoltboy01 said:

it is harder to find/build a Chromium browser, based on the latest version, than to modify Firefox to work on 8.1

And what about Supremium? Did you try it? It's on latest Chrome build, did you like it? It claims to work on 8.1.

13 hours ago, Cocodile said:

And what about Supremium? Did you try it? It's on latest Chrome build, did you like it? It claims to work on 8.1.

I used it for a brief time. Didn‘t they drop two releases? One based on Chromium 115 and the other on 117? 

I don‘t know if it differs a lot from Chromium, except for the name.

Supermium is build from scratch, by independent developers. It‘s downside is that you never know if they plan to update the browser or not. They don‘t offer daily/weekly/monthly builds. If they continue with their pattern like they did before then Chromium 119 should be the next backported build. I wouldn’t bet my money tho. 

If I want to use a Chromium based browser, I stick to Chrome 109 (till the end of the year) or use Opera, based on the latest Chromium, with some modifications 

16 hours ago, Dixel said:

Even funnier! They claim it's "compatible with Vista", scroll to 3.

https://www.catsxp.com/faq

3. Compatible with Vista

This one, also. :buehehe:

1. Will this browser collect or disclose my privacy information?

"Strictly abide by the "Regulations on the protection of computer software" of the people's Republic of China... :crazy:

So, if by the China "regulations", then it's fine. :w00t: