Last Version of Software for Windows 8.1

xedakide

Well, speaking of Modded Software for Windows 8.1, Opera 104 beta (based on Chromium 118) does no longer work.

It shows an error linked to the VirtualAlloc Function. It requires the CreateEnclave function introduced in Windows 10

On 10/13/2023 at 12:59 PM, mina7601 said:

The latest version of Cool Reader 3 works fine on all Windows OSes you mentioned. I don't get any crashes.

I wonder if my 8.1 installation is missing an update then. It only crashes for me.

In addition, I also found that the latest version of Midori and Waterfox work just fine. Though, I've found Midori to be most efficient and not freeze opposed to using Supermium and Waterfox. It's a lot lighter too.

Qutebrowser 3.0.0 does not launch on Windows 8.1 and states it requires Windows 10 Build 1607 or later. Seeing this is a build from 2015, maybe 8.1 could run the browser if we bypass the installer?

Edited by FantasyAcquiesce

4 hours ago, FantasyAcquiesce said:

Qutebrowser 3.0.0 does not launch on Windows 8.1 and states it requires Windows 10 Build 1607 or later. Seeing this is a build from 2015, maybe 8.1 could run the browser if we bypass the installer?

I doubt, it had been discussed about the minimum requirement for 1607, it's most likely there will be missing dependencies, even if you unpack the installer.

https://msfn.org/board/topic/185023-future-of-chromium-on-older-windows-10-versions-and-rtm/

4 hours ago, FantasyAcquiesce said:

I've found Midori to be most efficient and not freeze opposed to using Supermium and Waterfox. It's a lot lighter too.

It'd be very interesting to read your feedback regarding Supermium. You say it's heavy, what's your system?

Answer here, please.

https://msfn.org/board/topic/185045-supermium/page/

On 10/16/2023 at 11:41 PM, yoltboy01 said:

Well, speaking of Modded Software for Windows 8.1, Opera 104 beta (based on Chromium 118) does no longer work.

It shows an error linked to the VirtualAlloc Function. It requires the CreateEnclave function introduced in Windows 10

I have to apologize for that statement. Actually, 104 works too. I had a RTM Build of 8.1, which needed to be updated fully first

Edited by yoltboy01

14 hours ago, ceo54 said:

Latest Opera working for everyone except me :crying:

@yoltboy01 is a talented modder, what works for him, doesn't necessarily means will work for others.

From what I read, the last rather simply modded and fully working Opera for ordinary people - was Opera 97 (Chrome 111).

2 hours ago, Dixel said:

@yoltboy01 is a talented modder, what works for him, doesn't necessarily means will work for others.

From what I read, the last rather simply modded and fully working Opera for ordinary people - was Opera 97 (Chrome 111).

Dixel got me smiling :D

13 hours ago, ceo54 said:

Latest Opera working for everyone except me :crying:

As he also stated, I modded it to work on 8.1 (which is the only option you have if you want to use the latest version on that OS). Firefox also needs to be modded but doesn't need any extension from Windows 10+ to work on Windows 8.1. The Browser is technically still compatible with Win8, you just need to lower the system requirements manually to say it simply. 

20 hours ago, yoltboy01 said:

Dixel got me smiling :D

As he also stated, I modded it to work on 8.1 (which is the only option you have if you want to use the latest version on that OS). Firefox also needs to be modded but doesn't need any extension from Windows 10+ to work on Windows 8.1. The Browser is technically still compatible with Win8, you just need to lower the system requirements manually to say it simply. 

Yeah, I understand it needs to be modded and accompanied with some libraries from Windows 10 but I'm no techy and I can't do it on my own, I need help.

2 hours ago, ceo54 said:

Yeah, I understand it needs to be modded and accompanied with some libraries from Windows 10 but I'm no techy and I can't do it on my own, I need help.

I can explain it briefly:

- Download a portable version of Opera/Opera GX (or an offline installer)

- Download CFF Explorer, DWrite.dll (from Windows 10+) and 7zip

- Extract Opera and put that DWrite.dll in the folder where the browser is located

- Right click opera.dll (it‘s around 200 MB) and open it in CFF Explorer

- Go to Import Directory -> Kernel32 -> Scroll down to DiscardVirtualMemory

- Change DiscardVirtualMemory to VirtualAlloc and save it

- Go back to the folder where Opera is located -> Right click opera.exe -> Create a shortcut on the Desktop

- Go to the Desktop

- Right click the newly created shortcut -> Properties

- On the General Tab write —no-sandbox next to the location and save it

Opera should now work and open

9 hours ago, yoltboy01 said:

I can explain it briefly:

- Download a portable version of Opera/Opera GX (or an offline installer)

- Download CFF Explorer, DWrite.dll (from Windows 10+) and 7zip

- Extract Opera and put that DWrite.dll in the folder where the browser is located

- Right click opera.dll (it‘s around 200 MB) and open it in CFF Explorer

- Go to Import Directory -> Kernel32 -> Scroll down to DiscardVirtualMemory

- Change DiscardVirtualMemory to VirtualAlloc and save it

- Go back to the folder where Opera is located -> Right click opera.exe -> Create a shortcut on the Desktop

- Go to the Desktop

- Right click the newly created shortcut -> Properties

- On the General Tab write —no-sandbox next to the location and save it

Opera should now work and open

Thank you from the core of my heart for helping me out here. I'm sorry but I did as instructed and when I launched Opera from the shortcut with --no-sandbox flag enabled, it complained about missing api-ms-win-core-localization-l1-2-2.dll I looked around on the dll sites but couldn't find this library.

Any other ideas ?

No matter what becomes of it, I'm truly grateful to you.

2 hours ago, ceo54 said:

Thank you from the core of my heart for helping me out here. I'm sorry but I did as instructed and when I launched Opera from the shortcut with --no-sandbox flag enabled, it complained about missing api-ms-win-core-localization-l1-2-2.dll I looked around on the dll sites but couldn't find this library.

Any other ideas ?

No matter what becomes of it, I'm truly grateful to you.

Watch this.

Furthermore, is your Win8.1 PC fully updated?

On 10/24/2023 at 3:56 AM, yoltboy01 said:

Watch this.

Furthermore, is your Win8.1 PC fully updated?

Thanks. Yeah, my system is updated till September 2023 (only October updates are not installed)

Okay I tried the steps as shown in the video for Opera but unfortunately the result is the same. When I copy DWrite.dll and launch Opera, it complains about missing api-ms-win-core-localization-l1-2-2.dll

I think this is some kinda runtime library so I installed all C++ runtimes, 2005-2022 to no avail. I already have .Net 3.5 and 4.8 so I'm out of ideas. 

Also, it's kinda weird to be not able to find a Windows .dll online. I looked everywhere but couldn't find this api-ms-win-core-localization-l1-2-2.dll

Nonetheless, thank you for the help, Your support is highly appreciated.

Nonethe