Last Version of Software for Windows 8.1

xedakide

On 9/11/2023 at 9:00 AM, yoltboy01 said:

I used it for a brief time. Didn‘t they drop two releases? One based on Chromium 115 and the other on 117? 

I don‘t know if it differs a lot from Chromium, except for the name.

Supermium is build from scratch, by independent developers. It‘s downside is that you never know if they plan to update the browser or not. They don‘t offer daily/weekly/monthly builds. If they continue with their pattern like they did before then Chromium 119 should be the next backported build. I wouldn’t bet my money tho. 

If I want to use a Chromium based browser, I stick to Chrome 109 (till the end of the year) or use Opera, based on the latest Chromium, with some modifications 

I tried Supermium, finally, well it's quite good, but not portable and writes BrowserMetrics info collecting. Open it with Hex, you will see.

You know what, you're right! I'll stick to the ported Opera 97 and Ungoogled 111,  apply the anti webp-crap patch to decrapify them, certainly. 

If you use Opera, don't forget to apply the patch against collecting info-spying, made by @D.Draker.

https://msfn.org/board/topic/184249-chrome-110-based-opera-i-ported-it-to-vista/?do=findComment&comment=1238878

1 hour ago, Cocodile said:

I tried Supermium, finally, well it's quite good, but not portable and writes BrowserMetrics info collecting. Open it with Hex, you will see.

You know what, you're right! I'll stick to the ported Opera 97 and Ungoogled 111,  apply the anti webp-crap patch to decrapify them, certainly. 

If you use Opera, don't forget to apply the patch against collecting info-spying, made by @D.Draker.

https://msfn.org/board/topic/184249-chrome-110-based-opera-i-ported-it-to-vista/?do=findComment&comment=1238878

Are you using Windows 7? If you use Windows 8.1 go for Opera 102 (Chromium 117). Works great

Google Drive v81 works on Windows 8.1

Support ended two months ago with v79. They haven't upgraded their embedded Chromium framework since v105. Support will probably be up till they move to 115+

Edited by yoltboy01

• 2 weeks later...

Quick October Update

- Opera 103, now released and based on Chromium 117, unsurprisingly works on Windows 8.1 with --no-sandbox and VirtualAlloc

- Latest Firefox Nightly (04-10) works

- Microsoft Office 365 v2311 (beta) works

5 hours ago, yoltboy01 said:

- Opera 103, now released and based on Chromium 117, unsurprisingly works on Windows 8.1 with --no-sandbox and VirtualAlloc

It's still a mod, for which you would need to edit Opera's/chrome's files.

Respectfully, the topic is about the last versions without mods, no?

2 hours ago, Cocodile said:

It's still a mod, for which you would need to edit Opera's/chrome's files.

Respectfully, the topic is about the last versions without mods, no?

Yes, it is a mod indeed. However, Win8(.1) is capable of running that software unlike Windows 7, for which you would need an extended kernel.

Call it simple modding if you like, but all I did was to edit opera.dll and put that —no-sandbox behind it. When it comes to Firefox you also need to mod the firefox.exe and Office also needs a patch. 

Since when is this post limited to official EOL‘s?

Edited by yoltboy01

3 hours ago, yoltboy01 said:

I guess it's not, but it would be wise not to mix all in one, to avoid creating confusions, agree?

5 hours ago, yoltboy01 said:

From a purely technical persperctive (so no offence), the app doesn't work as intended,

you simply switched off the most important security feature. 

The last Opera-Chrome for Win7,8,8.1 are still based on Chrome 109, it will change if you fix the sandbox and make it fully working. like someone did in CatsXP.

On 9/23/2023 at 4:21 AM, yoltboy01 said:

Opera 103 - based on Chromium 117 - works on Windows 8.1. I just tested the beta.

It doesn't work for me with Windows fully updated. May I ask had you patched it or does it works straight otta the box ?

9 hours ago, ceo54 said:

It doesn't work for me with Windows fully updated. May I ask had you patched it or does it works straight otta the box ?

Of course it needs to be patched, you'll have to patch Opera.dll with CFF explorer and switch off the sandbox with the cmd flag —no-sandbox, this will make the browser insecure, but it will load pages.

I guess it's fine, but only if you visit sites you 100% trust.

On 10/5/2023 at 6:13 PM, Cocodile said:

I guess it's not, but it would be wise not to mix all in one, to avoid creating confusions, agree?

On 10/5/2023 at 8:49 PM, Dixel said:

From a purely technical persperctive (so no offence), the app doesn't work as intended,

you simply switched off the most important security feature. 

The last Opera-Chrome for Win7,8,8.1 are still based on Chrome 109, it will change if you fix the sandbox and make it fully working. like someone did in CatsXP.

I didn‘t mean to offend anyone/anything . My bad I guess? Sorry.