U.S. blacklists Kaspersky antivirus as an unacceptable risk to national security.

Cocodile

I searched in vain for something worthy of quotation in your last post. Are you saying that Kaspersky could be trusted if there were Anglo-Saxons living in Moscow? As I have pointed out before, it is the independent labs who “sing Kaspersky’s praises” - not I (who never used it as you well know). Am I more inclined to believe the independent labs than governments (including my own) that clearly have an anti-Russian foreign policy agenda?  You bet I am! You and AstroSkipper obviously place greater faith in government pronouncements, which is the entire dispute in a nutshell. As I recall, Germany was eagerly awaiting completion of “Nordstream II” just two years ago, but now they have “seen the light” and become “born again” anti-Russians. I’m not saying that’s a bad thing - in fact it has helped to silence those isolationists in America who think we should withdraw from NATO and let Europe fend for themselves. (I was never one of those, although you have single-handedly caused me to give the matter more thought.) Frankly, the United States badly needs to pivot its attention toward the Pacific, where a new threat has been growing steadily. Meanwhile, Astro posts updates about Chinese security software and your accounts react as a matter of course. With allies like you, who needs enemies? 🤔

I learned the futility of reporting your accounts some time ago, but thanks for the suggestion.

The mayor of New York City has indeed spoken about an immigration “crisis” recently, but the population influx in question comes from Central America - not Russia. You picked a peculiar topic in which to argue that the US government is “pro-Russian.” :buehehe:

I certainly don't have the "answer".  MSFN has some very biased "factions" where members take "sides" based solely on political viewpoints instead of technical merit.

Not because politics are "allowed" but because we all know each other very well.  We are all "family" and we know which "brothers" think this way and which "brothers" think that way.

We've all seen the trolling of members for the sake of "liking" content of no underlying meaning other than a "member of their faction" made the post.

https://www.dictionary.com/e/slang/it-is-what-it-is/

@NotHereToPlayGames I have tried once or twice to PM you but it doesn’t seem to be possible. Anyway, thanks for actually trying Kaspersky 18 on XP x86 during my recent absence from the forum! You were quite right about one thing: For too long the debate was dominated by people who never even used Kaspersky (including me and the OP of this topic). Also thanks to @UCyborg for testing Kaspersky 18 on XP x64 and confirming that it works, and to the anonymous member who already told me that beforehand. 🙂

I won’t be posting in the Astro-Blog anymore, which should not only be locked but deleted entirely because it is hopelessly biased politically (not to mention boring). Since that was the last topic at MSFN of any interest to me, I will become very scarce unless someone asks an interesting question, which rarely happens at this forum anymore. Bye! :hello:

13 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

I won’t be posting in the Astro-Blog anymore

Somehow I doubt it.

From the bottom of my heart, thank you for even giving me a small glimpse of hope for no longer posting in such a valuable thread. 

13 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

I won’t be posting in the Astro-Blog anymore, which should not only be locked but deleted entirely because it is hopelessly biased politically (not to mention boring). Since that was the last topic at MSFN of any interest to me, I will become very scarce unless someone asks an interesting question, which rarely happens at this forum anymore. Bye! :hello:

Are you serious? This is you who have and had been politically motivated poster at his best there and polluted the hell out of the thread with your pseudo (geo)political statements. 

Exactly like you're polluting an derailng this topic now! 

Everyone noticed - while you were absent for a month or so, it was peaceful and quiet at MSFN, then you got back and started to insult members and their valuable work immediately! 

23 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

“sing Kaspersky’s praises” - not I (who never used it as you well know).

A smart decision, better be safe than sorry! Thanks for informing the community of MSFN!

Your quotation is incomplete. Here is the actual passage from my post:

On 10/25/2023 at 11:23 AM, Vistapocalypse said:

As I have pointed out before, it is the independent labs who “sing Kaspersky’s praises” - not I (who never used it as you well know). Am I more inclined to believe the independent labs than governments (including my own) that clearly have an anti-Russian foreign policy agenda?  You bet I am! You and AstroSkipper obviously place greater faith in government pronouncements, which is the entire dispute in a nutshell.

If you know of an independent lab that has found Kaspersky to be either ineffective or dangerous, then by all means post a link. The lab I consider to be the best is AV-Test in Germany, which has rated Kaspersky as a “top product” for many years now.

When it comes to Chinese security software, “better be safe than sorry” does not appear to be your guiding philosophy (based on your reactions in Astro’s blog - I don’t think you have ever actually posted about Chinese products yourself). The government of India governs more people than the US and EU combined, and it now bans practically everything from China. Do you think India might have a foreign policy agenda that is different from the United States or Germany? 🤔

3 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Your quotation is incomplete.

Complete or incomplete, it doesn't distort what you said.

You've never used Kaspersky yourself, you stay on the safe side, you won't use it, hence you have no moral obligation to do it, yet you obsessively promote it on MSFN.

The insane intensity and the style clearly point out to the commercial roots of your promotions. 

19 hours ago, Saxon said:

The insane intensity and the style clearly point out to the commercial roots of your promotions. 

Your post is the product of a paranoid mind. If someone disagrees with your convictions about Kaspersky, they must be a “Kaspersky salesman” or “Russian agent,” right? If I was equally paranoid, I might insinuate that your accounts are controlled by some EU agency out to suppress any discussion of Kaspersky at online forums.

I’m an American who believes in freedom of speech and would like to believe that democracy can prevail without spreading lies. You seem to believe that truth must inevitably be the first casualty of war (never mind that NATO is not at war, or that your anti-Russian paranoia was already evident before the invasion of Ukraine).

Obviously you don’t wish to discuss independent labs or whether there is any reason to suppose that Chinese software is “safer” than Russian software, but here’s something that Kaspersky was never accused of:

https://www.computerworld.com/article/2917384/antivirus-test-labs-call-out-chinese-security-company-as-cheat.html

I’m an American

We can't be sure of that due to the fact you seem to not understand the topic's title written in plain and simple English which is not about "independent" labs, it's about the Kaspersky ban. 

I’m an American who believes in freedom of speech and would like to believe that democracy can prevail without spreading lies. You seem to believe that truth must inevitably be the first casualty of war (never mind that NATO is not at war, or that your anti-Russian paranoia was already evident before the invasion of Ukraine).

Yet you shove down our throats the software from a country that has no freedom of speech and is a total surveillance state, the software that is made by the Russian paramilitaries

Obviously you don’t wish to discuss independent labs or whether there is any reason to suppose that Chinese software is “safer” than Russian software, but here’s something that Kaspersky was never accused of

Obviously we don’t wish to discuss the off topic matters,

Obviously you don’t wish to discuss the Iranian AV suggested in another topic, why not?

Or North Korean, maybe?

Why such fixation on Russia/Russian? 

3 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Unbiased readers do not see it as pollution.  THIS is why these sorts of "topics" are forbidden on most forums such as this.

Don't you dare to behave like nothing happened! You seem to oftenly call us "family", so how come you didn't notice @Vistapocalypseinsulted @AstroSkipper's valuable work?

https://msfn.org/board/topic/184271-us-blacklists-kaspersky-antivirus-as-an-unacceptable-risk-to-national-security/?do=findComment&comment=1254579Besides

How come you didn't notice him calling other members paranoid?

https://msfn.org/board/topic/184271-us-blacklists-kaspersky-antivirus-as-an-unacceptable-risk-to-national-security/?do=findComment&comment=1254874

I wonder for how long he will be allowed to do that?!

I missed them.  But even being "directed" to them, I clearly don't see them the same as you "on a scale of 1 to 10".

Some of us are biased, whether we intend to be or not.  Some of us are paranoid, whether we indend to be or not.

Some of us take sides and troll the forum for "likes" that have no bearing on anything whatsoever other than "trolls being trolls".

I stopped following these "discussions" because they have become nothing but Gang Wars.

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames