U.S. blacklists Kaspersky antivirus as an unacceptable risk to national security.

Cocodile

On 1/15/2023 at 8:47 PM, D.Draker said:

There was a point of no return after 2001, when we silently agreed to the modern crappy state of things.

I guess that was due to 9/11, which led to the 'war on terror', the PATRIOT act, etc.

All while conveniently forgetting that sending people to war that ultimately affects the most, ordinary human beings, it all just feels like a big distraction from the true issues undermining society.

• 5 months later...
On 12/31/2022 at 11:22 AM, Cocodile said:

Of course Kazpersky would deny. I too deny I eat too much chocolate. I'm sure the U.S. gov. did a thorough investagion, you don't trust the U.S. gov. ?

:thumbup I still have an article where the investigators confirmed Kaspersky is in close relations with FSB, it needs translation, and I have to look for it, so might take some time.

Thank you for a very funny joke   !!!!!!

U.S. blacklists Kaspersky antivirus as an unacceptable risk to national security.

Italian Government joins! CSIRT 

Recommendation of the National Cybersecurity Agency after consultation with the Cybersecurity Unit

"In particular, this made it appropriate to consider the security implications deriving from the use of information technologies provided by companies linked to the Russian Federation."

Here is the translated link from the Italian Government website : https://www-csirt-gov-it.translate.goog/crisi-ucraina-analisi-del-rischio-tecnologico-e-diversificazione?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=de&_x_tr_pto=wapp

JFYI (I can read that Italian article without translation) it is only a generic, empty/obvious and meaningless "wishful thinking" kind of post, it recommends to proceed to a new risk analysis and to consider evaluating different strategies, while stating how it is fundamental, in order to not weaken the protection of the organizations, that during this process the continuity of security service must not be interrupted.

Writing this kind of meaningless crap could be a good use for Chat-GPT, BTW.

jaclaz

11 hours ago, jaclaz said:

JFYI (I can read that Italian article without translation) it is only a generic, empty/obvious and meaningless "wishful thinking" kind of post, it recommends to proceed to a new risk analysis and to consider evaluating different strategies, while stating how it is fundamental, in order to not weaken the protection of the organizations, that during this process the continuity of security service must not be interrupted.

Writing this kind of meaningless crap could be a good use for Chat-GPT, BTW.

jaclaz

Is that so! How wonderful for you! Where were you when I sought help with the transltion a week ago, and even outlined it in your most visited topic? :dubbio: More of a rhetorical question.

I can't be blamed for any official statements given by any government, including the Italian Government, I'm sure there was a reason they speak their usual diplomatic language, and, as any government, they don't have to provide proof for their every action. If they came to such a conclusion, they had their investigation completed and all facts checked out! If you have any doubts about it, you have your right to call the helpline of Italian Government, or even go to the court of law, trying to establish a protection path for Kaspersky.

In your posts, you like to point out to MSFN "is not like it used to be", where "polite and plain conversation is not possible anymore", yet even if we take this one post of yours, where you call my posts "this kind of meaningless crap could be a good use for Chat-GPT", you show outrageous disrespect, you yourself is very rude. Meanwhile, MSFN rules still sate:"the forum was built upon mutual respect".

And even if you think so, Chat-GPT would still be a polite on-topic subject, unlike your attempt at sensless bickering once again, which totally blasts away common sense and politeness.

You evidently misunderstood me, I wasn't talking of your post, which is just pointing to some info, it is that recommendation from that Italian agency that could have well been written by Chat GPT, this way the good guys that protect our infrastructure could have had more free time to do the whatever they are doing.

jaclaz

17 hours ago, jaclaz said:

some info

jaclaz, do you always treat official government warnings, published at official government websites as "some info", apart from their rather simple writing style, which you evidently didn't like?

Or only in such rather limited cases that affect this specific software, namely Kaspersky?

Please bare in mind, it's just a simple question, out of curiosity, nothing else! And I'll be perfectly fine, if it wil be unanswered. Thank you!

If you want my opinion in advance, as well as the opinions of other millions of people that listen to their government,

I think it's a very serious warning, despite the primitive language, and here I agree with you!

I treat official warnings from any of the government agencies depending on their contents, and BTW this is not a warning, but a recommendation, and (as said) its content is (vague) wishful thinking or generic advice.

The note is BTW not particularly tailored to Kaspersky or to any other particular software, it talks of "information technologies supplied by firms connected to the Russian Federation".

Without an official list of "firms connected to the Russian Federation" it is meaningless, yes, we know (from other sources) that Kaspersky may be one of these firms, but for all we know, any number of other software or hardware related firms could have similar connections.

And the actual recommendation is about conducting an analysis of the risk (Risk Assessment), which is essentially a simple (or complex) document (not entirely unlike some of the ISO9001[1] ones), where someone uses senseless formulas or reasonings on partial, incorrect, non-existing or invented data to derive a (wrong or right, usually pre-determined) conclusion (subject to revision/reviews/changes) , it is only (bad, useless) bureaucracy, the pool where consultants with dubious qualifications and (officially qualified but often clueless) auditors like to swim.

Unlike Laws or technical norms (where formulas are given and data needed is specified, and processes are detailed) a generic risk analysis document:

https://drata.com/glossary/risk-assessment

can be made according to no less than 6 different principles:

https://drata.com/blog/risk-assessment-methodologies

and then the actual data and algorithms you can use in the document can be almost anything.

jaclaz

[1] the actual norm for IT security is ISO 27001 (and 27005) that not unlike many other ISO ones is pretty much "vague" and open to different methodologies/approaches:

https://advisera.com/27001academy/what-is-iso-27001/

Edited by jaclaz

• 3 months later...

I thought I was doing my part to defeat Putin by abstaining from Stolichnaya, which is a mighty good vodka. While shopping for booze recently, I was puzzled to see that “Stoli” was still being sold despite my government’s anti-Russian foreign policy agenda, so I looked it up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stolichnaya

It seems that the vodka once marketed here as “Russian” is actually made in Latvia, which has been a member of NATO for nearly 20 years. :blushing: So there is really no Russian vodka to boycott - never mind that common brands have names such as Smirnoff (made by a British company at a plant in the United States). My apologies to Latvians! I will soon buy a bottle of Stoli and toast your country! 🥃

On 10/21/2023 at 4:30 PM, Vistapocalypse said:

I thought I was doing my part to defeat Putin by abstaining from Stolichnaya, which is a mighty good vodka. While shopping for booze recently, I was puzzled to see that “Stoli” was still being sold despite my government’s anti-Russian foreign policy agenda, so I looked it up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stolichnaya

It seems that the vodka once marketed here as “Russian” is actually made in Latvia, which has been a member of NATO for nearly 20 years. :blushing: So there is really no Russian vodka to boycott - never mind that common brands have names such as Smirnoff (made by a British company at a plant in the United States). My apologies to Latvians! I will soon buy a bottle of Stoli and toast your country! 🥃

No, on the contrary, the US government’s agenda looks very much pro-Russian, otherwise it wouldn't be 1.6 million Russians in New York alone. I'm scared to even imagine their amount in other US places, like Florida.

I wonder how many of them use Kaspersky?:buehehe:

Now tell me, how many Americans live in Moscow or Russia? Let me help you - none, Zero, zip, ziltch, nada! That's really anti-American.

On 10/23/2023 at 7:51 PM, Dixel said:

No, on the contrary, the US government’s agenda looks very much pro-Russian, otherwise it wouldn't be 1.6 million Russians in New York alone. I'm scared to even imagine their amount in other US places, like Florida.

I wonder how many of them use Kaspersky?:buehehe:

Now tell me, how many Americans live in Moscow or Russia? Let me help you - none, Zero, zip, ziltch, nada! That's really anti-American.

I never heard any American express a desire to live in Russia. Why would they want to? These days, no American in their right mind would even visit Russia (I certainly wouldn’t: Look what happened to Brittney Griner among others).

On the other hand, I can easily think of reasons why Russians would want to live in the United States. Espionage is probably much lower on my list than it is on yours, as you seem to be quite paranoid. I happen to live in Florida now, and I am not “scared to even imagine” the number of Russians living here. There is no reason to suspect that they are “out to get me,” however I get the feeling that YOU will not rest until I have left MSFN for good. Am I being paranoid? I don’t think so! Do you have at least five MSFN accounts? Yes, there is no doubt in my mind that you do! The only alternative is to believe that Europe is teeming with people who think just like you, and I know better than that! :)

4 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

I never heard any American express a desire to live in Russia. Why would they want to? These days, no American in their right mind would even visit Russia (I certainly wouldn’t: Look what happened to Brittney Griner among others).

On the other hand, I can easily think of reasons why Russians would want to live in the United States. Espionage is probably much lower on my list than it is on yours, as you seem to be quite paranoid. I happen to live in Florida now, and I am not “scared to even imagine” the number of Russians living here. There is no reason to suspect that they are “out to get me,” however I get the feeling that YOU will not rest until I have left MSFN for good. Am I being paranoid? I don’t think so! Do you have at least five MSFN accounts? Yes, there is no doubt in my mind that you do! The only alternative is to believe that Europe is teeming with people who think just like you, and I know better than that! :)

Exactly, how a country with their "government’s anti-American foreign policy agenda", which has zero American or British population,

how that country can produce espionage-free software for the Western market? It's a rhetorical question.

I don't know why you see me as your foe, why you never cease to insult me, you just agreed to the facts yourself.

As for the second part - with your usual, rather ridiculous assumptions-accusations-insults, no I don't, but you have the right to report (if you didn't already), let them do the checks.

In my country we've never ever heard of this dangerous Russian software "Kaspersky", I read about it only here, from you!

What we think in Europe? Well, we don't have 1.6 million of Russians in my city, so we at least don't have to worry, when their populace reaches the X amount and they casually declare the city Russian, we'd be forced to use Kaspersky.