Rep farming

Willy Nilly

I don't really need reputation to do good on here (and I don't really need any) it's nice when members do give some but its really not needed to do good on here (I'm happy without it):)

Edited by legacyfan
fixed spelling

@Willy Nilly,

Public "shaming", sticking your nose into someone else's business, saying "we" instead of "I",

hiding behind "friends", etc - reflects the casual behaviour of an ordinary communist at a communist party gathering

under a portrait of Marx.

@NotHereToPlayGames,

Or it just looks like a gathering of wannabe moderators with certain political views.

Edited by Tommy
Removed political cartoon

3 hours ago, legacyfan said:

I don't really ever get reputation on here (and I don't need any) it's nice when member do give some but I don't really need it to do good on here (I'm happy without it)

I liked the second version of your reply , but you edit so often, I can't be sure it stays in the original form for at least a day.

reputation should be earned by people liking your post for good reasons (like: projects) things like that you should get reputation for not just for getting attention on posts

Edited by legacyfan
fixed spelling

3 hours ago, legacyfan said:

I noticed you reply abovr and decided to change it

Not sure why . You better make a new reply then . Otherwise it's hard to understand what you were trying to say . The post above has nothing to do with you, btw.

It's for the OP and some other wannabe moderators.

Edited by D.Draker
some other wannabe moderators

Regarding the forum software, it serves the purpose of exchanging messages about topics between users. If it is crap...well, from the perspective of someone working at the software company, there is really only one constant when it comes to users and that is BITCHING and WHINING ALL THE TIME.

It doesn't really matter what you do or don't, you can leave it as it is, they won't like it, if you change something, they won't like it, if you add something, they won't like it. A cesspool of toxicity. No sign of appreciation of all the grunt work going into these things.

I don't know the person running the forum, but it seems likely that his view on all of this is: If you don't like it, you can pack up and leave.

But just hypothetically, if we were to migrate to another forum software, what would you choose? phpBB, vBulletin, XenForo, something else?

35 minutes ago, UCyborg said:

But just hypothetically, if we were to migrate to another forum software, what would you choose? phpBB, vBulletin, XenForo, something else?

If it were to save money, I'd say go with something lesser like phpBB, even though I do like this software, it can't be cheap to run this. Why do we no longer hear from the admin anymore? I do hope he is doing alright.

5 hours ago, D.Draker said:

Thanks for clarifying, at least now we know how you (with your 2 year account) got a reputation 

that goes hand in hand with the 20 y.o. old *guru account* of jaclaz.

:buehehe:

Only one account.  I swear on my mother's grave.  R.I.P. 2-1-2022.

I've been a reader of MSFN since 2018 or so (when I switched from Official Pale Moon to Roytam1's New Moon).

It wasn't until 360Chrome mod's that I became an MSFN Member.

And is that for real, jaclaz has been here TWENTY YEARS ???

1 hour ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

And is that for real, jaclaz has been here TWENTY YEARS ???

18 years, 4 months, 9 days

1 hour ago, XPerceniol said:

If it were to save money, I'd say go with something lesser like phpBB, even though I do like this software, it can't be cheap to run this.

Yeah, I do wonder if paid forum software is a bit of an overkill, considering some members here are not far away from wanting it to be viewable on Commodore 64. :D

But yes, not sure phpBB does some of the stuff other software do, like live notifications. I saw XenForo even updating time of the last post when you're viewing list of threads without having to refresh the page.

Some features might be available on multiple forum software and configurable.

1 hour ago, XPerceniol said:

Why do we no longer hear from the admin anymore? I do hope he is doing alright.

Pretty sure the forum would disappear or something if he wasn't. It's interesting - I have the impression he's not interested in most stuff posted here.

I did read about another forum, specifically oriented towards Windows XP and some guy runs it just to provide a place for others to discuss, but has no interest in Windows XP himself. I don't recall the forum name...is it possible it's the same one you're visiting?

Edited by UCyborg

10 hours ago, D.Draker said:

@Willy Nilly,

Public "shaming", sticking your nose into someone else's business, saying "we" instead of "I",

hiding behind "friends", etc - reflects the casual behaviour of an ordinary communist at a communist party gathering

under a portrait of Marx.

@NotHereToPlayGames,

Or it just looks like a gathering of wannabe moderators with certain political views.

Unless you collect your rep from circular repping I don't know what your problem is with me and my friend and why you need to bring politics into this.

Since you did that why don't you explain to everyone why social rep based on being in a circle isn't communist but real rep based on technical knowledge is.

I never asked anyone to moderate post content or told members how to behave so I don't know what wannabe moderation you talk about. I brought a general issue to the mod's attention.

The only times I used "we" was here.

On 11/30/2022 at 2:21 AM, Willy Nilly said:

That's fair if we assume rep is popularity.

Here we have a technical forum so people assume lots of rep means knowledgeable person and you can trust their information more.

It makes no sense to use "I" when I mean to include @Tripredacus who I'm talking to and I believe it's not a stretch that they can agree with my premise part.

Communist "we" works more like this.

11 hours ago, D.Draker said:

Thanks for clarifying, at least now we know how you (with your 2 year account) got a reputation 

that goes hand in hand with the 20 y.o. old *guru account* of jaclaz.

@UCyborg

When did this become about migrating forum software?

I'm not an id*** to come in and ask for a change like that as the first thing.

Me and my friend aren't experts in forum software. I know there are boards with rep disabled in some parts and it seems like an obvious feature so not having it sucks.

Do you expect me to sing praises to Invision software here for some reason? If I say something about forum software, how does that reflect on admin who's locked in and like @Tripredacus said this software is getting worse with time? All I did was ask to use a feature I thought this software had but turned out it didn't.

People seem to vote for controversial claims, sometimes very expressively laid out with ranting, to which they agree. On modern forums where the thread itself gets voted for, I feel discourage to make a post because the opinion of the crowd is difficult to predict. It is a social suicide to make an unpopular claim, even if it is articulated calmly. I usually don't bother to open a heavy website to press the like button. Sometimes I do it to acknowledge that I've read what the other person had to say, but don't have anything further to add.

9 hours ago, Willy Nilly said:

Unless you collect your rep from circular repping I don't know what your problem is with me and my friend and why you need to bring politics into this.

Since you did that why don't you explain to everyone why social rep based on being in a circle isn't communist but real rep based on technical knowledge is.

I never asked anyone to moderate post content or told members how to behave so I don't know what wannabe moderation you talk about. I brought a general issue to the mod's attention.

The only times I used "we" was here.

It makes no sense to use "I" when I mean to include @Tripredacus who I'm talking to and I believe it's not a stretch that they can agree with my premise part.

Communist "we" works more like this.

@UCyborg

When did this become about migrating forum software?

I'm not an id*** to come in and ask for a change like that as the first thing.

Me and my friend aren't experts in forum software. I know there are boards with rep disabled in some parts and it seems like an obvious feature so not having it sucks.

Do you expect me to sing praises to Invision software here for some reason? If I say something about forum software, how does that reflect on admin who's locked in and like @Tripredacus said this software is getting worse with time? All I did was ask to use a feature I thought this software had but turned out it didn't.

You tore it out of context,it was another reply to another user *who wrote "we had" in his original post*, so I answered in the same idiotic manner,

using the crappy "we" to make the emphasis on how crappy it sounds. Which again, proves what I said earlier, because

you didn't even notice that emphasis and proceeded as usual.

But hey, then again, it's what communists usually do, they just tear out of context to accuse.

Oh, and thanks for being honest, at least you didn't deny that you stick your nose into someone else's business.

What's my problem with you ? I'm an MSFN defender, you see , the other ones are just too soft on the ones like you.

So I'm here to defend MSFN from all types of attacks one could ever imagine, including yours. 

We aren't in ChinoRussia, we don't need to earn or fight for likes for food, lol. We just so don't care.

Leave us alone, they gave you a very polite hint in the beginning of the topic.

8 hours ago, j7n said:

I usually don't bother to open a heavy website to press the like button.

Someone took his time to help you ? It worked > put a like to show appreciation, this is very simple, no ?

Like @AstroSkipper recently wrote , we don't earn money from this, but have plenty of unappreciative ****** in return.

I personally had several cases of this recently.